Kid Friendly CDs parents also enjoy - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 02-14-2011, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

All of these artists do Kids/Family Music:

Dan Zanes, Justin Roberts, Ralph's World, They Might Be Giants, Lisa Loeb and Elizabeth Mitchell, Laurie Berkner (best for 6 and unders), Frances England, Billy Jonas, Jimmy Magoo, Barenaked Ladies, Baron Von Rumblebus, Billy Bragg and Wilco, Daniel Kirk (kids author who has songs to go with his books), Farmer Jason (Ringenberger) (best for 6 and unders), Jamie Broza (really funny), The Jellydots, Los Lobos, Milkshake, Papillion, The Terrible Twos, Wee Hairy Beasties.

This is just off the top of my iTunes playlist. We have a lot more kids' music than this, too. Check out http://www.zooglobble.com/ for more recommendations than you'll know what to do with. It's a great kids' music blog.

My kids like some grown up music, but we're not pop-music fans in this house and steer more toward alt country and alternative music. Sometimes grown-up music has questionable lyrics and I'm not always up to explaining it all. The kids' music is real music by real musicians (music fans will recognize many of the above names as folks who make music for grown ups, too), but with themes kids are more interested in like getting a new bike or losing a tooth or mom being in a bad mood—much more interesting than love and kissing and all that mushy stuff.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 38 Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Jack Hartmann.  (http://www.jackhartmann.com/)  fun songs for the kids and parents alike.  he does a lot of educational stuff (we use it for HS'ing) as well as songs w/ dances, but his "getting better at getting along" CD has all kinds of cool songs on it (i love the children's peace song -- makes me tear up when i'm preggo LOL).  some examples of song titles (to give you an idea of his style): hip hop tooty ta, dancin' 2's, disco ABC's, the lion and the mouse (set to a techno beat), the silly pirate song, sticky glue (one of our faves)... i think he has like 12 albums out.

lady.gifMama of: DSjammin.gif (9), twins DDjoy.gif & DSautismribbon.gif (6), DSkid.gif (3), and DDbabygirl.gif born 11/2010

#33 of 38 Old 02-15-2011, 09:47 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Elizabeth Mitchell  and Frances England - love all their albums!

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpggd.giftriadadopt.jpgfamilybed1.gif

#34 of 38 Old 02-15-2011, 11:28 AM

We just discovered Elizabeth Mitchell and love her.

Also frequently played are the cds that come with Sandra Boynton books Philadelphia Chickens and Dog Train.

We'll probably have to replace them soon because they're getting played so much.

We also listen to a lot of Abba :)

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a cd of Sesame Street guest singers?   You know how on Sesame Street they have someone come on and sing with a muppet or two, like Nora Jones or John Legend?  And they sing their hit song with the words slightly altered to fit the show?  I'd love a cd of a bunch of those, but can't seem to find one.

#35 of 38 Old 02-15-2011, 04:36 PM

Medeski, Martin, & Wood's Let's Go Everywhere

#36 of 38 Old 02-16-2011, 07:45 AM

zggy marley  - family time

#37 of 38 Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 AM

beanma, thanks for the zooglobble link - it looks great!  can't wait to look at it more closely...

"While Eeyore frets ...and Piglet hesitates...and Rabbit calculates...and Owl pontificates...Pooh just is."
taken from The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

check out my children's room in the library:  Hampton Bays Public Library Children's Room  http://hbaychildroom.blogspot.com/ 

#38 of 38 Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 AM

We also love Elizabeth Mitchell!  I'd also recommend Caspar Babypants.  We've only listened to one of his 3 cds but I loved it.  (Here I Am!)

I'm looking forward to checking out some of the other recommended music here!

DS1 born 12-31-09, DS2 born 2-18-12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page