I need something new to read! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2011, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone have any suggestions?  I like horror, thrillers, metaphysical stuff, fantasy, classics.  Some of my recent reads have been:

• Dean Koontz
  • Nevada Barr
  • John Connolly
  • Michael Connolly
  • Sue Grafton
  • Janet Evanovich
  • John Sandford
  • Elizabeth George
  • Stephenie Meyer
  • Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Jane Austen
  • L. M. Montgomery
  • Robert Jordan
  • Terry Goodkind

Based on this list, anyone know of any great authors I might enjoy?  I like serious stuff, too, but I'm not up for reading The Gulag Archipelago at this point in my life.  I'm tired of reading the same things over and over.  I go to the library and check things out, only to find out I've already read them.  Thanks to anyone with suggestions!

A and M, June 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My most recent reads have been Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte. I loved Jane Eyre. I see Austen is already on your list but I've been loving her stuff, too (have read all the majors except Mansfield Park). 

I *always* recommend Diana Gabaldon. Start with Outlander. If you can get past the initial premise into the novel (it struck me as corny at first), they are AWESOME. Plus, they are long and there are seven of the novels and other assorted works dealing with some of the same characters!

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

Old 01-11-2011, 02:53 PM

I've been reading the Night Huntress books by Jeaniene Frost and I love them!  I seriously love them.  The main character is a half breed human/vampire and she kicks booty.  She's strong and powerful and I just love her character.  Her love interest is a vampire and he's a fabulous character.  The books follow the two of them as they fight the underworld of ghouls, rouge vampires etc...  The writing is funny in some parts, definitely racy, there is some gore but, not over the top gore.  I find them really, really interesting.  They're page turners. 

There are also two side stories called the Night Huntress World series dealing with two characters from the original books.  So far there are 4 books in the Night Huntress series with I think a total of 9 expected. 

Old 01-11-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've requested the first books in both recommended series from the library.  Can't wait!

A and M, June 2012
Old 01-12-2011, 01:19 PM

I have really been enjoying all 4 books for the Darkfever series by by Karen Marie Moning  

http://www.karenmoning.com/novels/

#1.Darkfever

#2. Bloodfever

#3. Faefever

#4. Dreamfever

The stories are very suspenseful. You are compelled to keep reading to find out what will happen next and when you are not reading you keep thinking about the characters and the story wondering about what is happening and what might happen next.  The 5th  final book comes out   January 15!    

Old 01-14-2011, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

I've also requested Darkfever at the library.  Thanks!

A and M, June 2012
Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 AM

I just read "True Grit" by Charles Portis and it was an amazing book!  It was never on my radar but then I read a review of the Coen brothers film of the same name and decided to give it a go.  I can honestly say, hands down, it is one of the best books I have ever read.  The writing style, the story, the dialog...

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:46 AM

I too love Diana Gabaldon's books...They are very historically correct and the characters are very interesting...I would also recommend George R.R. Martin's series, Song of Fire and Ice. Sieg Larrson's trilogy is very good too, the first book is a bit dry in the beginning but it picks up and the second book is great. The third book is a bit boring, though-and the ending is a bit pat.

(I am also a fan of Elisabeth George, just read the current book in the series, I can't believe Thomas is hooking up with the alcoholic police inspector!! Weird. I have to say, I really don't like her. He could do so much better for himself...Not because she is an alcoholic, but she is so immature. I suppose it is because he is grief-stricken, but still...)

Daniel Defoe is very good, I absolutely love Moll Flanders, and Robinson Crusoe is very good too..

Charles Lamb is good, too.

For brain candy, I like Jane Green. It is very superficial stuff, but fun. Also, if you haven't read any Maeve Binchy, I highly recommend her books. She has a great sense of humor, and her characters are very real. Plus, it is fun to read in an Irish accent, lol.

fly-by-nursing1.gifSAHM living on the beautiful Eastern Shore with my husband the car nut banghead.gif, and bebe Eleanor, born 9/16/09 luxlove.gif plus two kitties! cat.gif
Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe's Mom View Post

(I am also a fan of Elisabeth George, just read the current book in the series, I can't believe Thomas is hooking up with the alcoholic police inspector!! Weird. I have to say, I really don't like her. He could do so much better for himself...Not because she is an alcoholic, but she is so immature. I suppose it is because he is grief-stricken, but still...)

I know, I couldn't get over Thomas and Isabel!  Absolutely horrifying.  I can't stand her, especially standing in the shadow of Helen's memory.

A and M, June 2012
Old 01-23-2011, 10:08 AM

I have read alot of Charles DeLint's books but everyone I have read, I have thoroughly enjoyed.

http://www.sfsite.com/lists/cdl.htm

Spiritwalk Moonheart: A Romance and Someplace to be Flying were all very different and enjoyable.

Robert Holstock's Mythago Wood and the follow up (sort of) books were very rich, bizarre, scary and enchanting. I really had to pace myself as I was desperate to find out what happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Holdstock

Neil Gaimen is also very fun! Witty, crazy and full of very interesting characters.

American Gods Anansi Boys and The Graveyard Book are three of my favorites. The Graveyard book is  a children's story, but oh how I loved it!

http://www.neilgaiman.com/works/Books/

Other genres I have enjoyed: "Peace LIke a River" was a beautiful, heart breaking, inspirational read. "Little Bee" is hard to describe, but I just could not stop reading it. I love Isabel Allende. I love her magical realism.

Enjoy!

http://www.isabelallende.com/books_frame.htm

Oh and a totally fun ride it is "Soulless" "Changeless" and "Blameless". Vampires, werewolves and Queen Victoria, oh and a Preternatural Female with a hell of an attitude and an impressive parasol. These are such an easy, funny, enjoyable read.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6381205-soulles

Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 AM

Have you read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy?  Really great.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:52 PM

Have you read any Ursula K. Le Guin books?  Very metaphysical, fantasy stuff.  I read her Earthsea trilogy when I was young, then again as an adult.  Provokes lots of deep thoughts :)

I've always enjoyed books with lots of symbolic meaning, and her writing is rich in this.

On a much lighter side, I just read Enslaved by Ducks, by Bob Tarte.  I have not laughed/cried/sighed through any other book the way I did with this!  His writing style is so self-effacing and full of humor...even as he deals with his foibles and need for Zoloft.  A totally unexpected gem!  I picked it up at the library on a whim.  I liked it tons.  But it's about animals and pets, which I'm totally into--might not be your thing...

Old 02-15-2011, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

And though it is not high art... I loved The Hunger Games trilogy!

http://www.suzannecollinsbooks.com/the_hunger_games_69765.htm

Old 02-16-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

And though it is not high art... I loved The Hunger Games trilogy!

http://www.suzannecollinsbooks.com/the_hunger_games_69765.htm

I agree! Awesome books! I think the Hunger Games movie comes out 3/22. Can't wait!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions!  I've made more library hold requests, and have enjoyed the books I've been able to get so far.  The waiting list for True Grit (someone suggested it up-thread) is around 100 long, though!

A and M, June 2012

User Tag List