Good books on Unions/Union Organizing/Historical Union Figures for children? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-15-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The title says it all.  I've found a couple of books at the local library, but the selection's been somewhat limited.  I found a great graphic biography on Mother Jones and I'm wondering what else might be out there that I may have missed.

#2 of 9 Old 02-15-2011, 06:59 PM

Is there a certain era in which you are most interested?

picture books or chapter books?

recently i read a wonderful picture book about Cesar Chavez that includes some endnotes and resources: A Picture Book of Cesar Chavez by David and Michael Adler.  gives great context for his work, mentions other teachers of nonviolence, makes clear the need for unions.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#3 of 9 Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion on the book.  Our library has it - I can't wait to pick it up!

Picture books would probably be the best, although a chapter book would work if it was engaging enough that we could use it as a read aloud.  We're going to a rally this week in support of collective bargaining rights in our state and I'd like to follow up with a mini-unit on unions.  My first instinct is to go with books on notable people in the union/union organizing movement given how powerful stories are, but really, I'm open to suggestions.

#4 of 9 Old 02-26-2011, 10:22 AM

another good cesar chavez picture book is harvesting hope.  i like that one.

and si, se puede

now, the book uprising knocked my socks off, but it's pretty much for older and mature kids (or mama) - it's about the triangle shirtwaist fire.  i loved it though.

OH!!! and... the voices of history of the united states!  howard zinn made a young people's version of it-- and there's a teaching guide that you can get and there's an audio version of the adult version, very powerful to listen to... 

another thought... you could do some online virtual museum/library tours.  there are a bunch of labor libraries such as the southern labor archives -- there's an oral history project there..

and the labadie collection..  you could use the collection's documents and images to show your kids.  it's really interesting to see the pictures of children involved in the labor movement. 

way to go for sharing this with your children, mama.

solidarity!

p.s. kangamitro.. that rutgers site where you linked the book looks really cool

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#5 of 9 Old 02-26-2011, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matewan_Massacre

The miners wore red scarves around their necks.. hence the term "rednecks". The miners who were slaughtered were trying to form a union to provide safer working conditions in the mines.

#6 of 9 Old 02-26-2011, 03:10 PM

A recent issue of American Educator (I think that's the title)- it's one of the publications sent out by my union, AFT, had a whole article on books to share with children on the role of unions in US history. Sorry, my issue went to recycling already, but maybe they'll have a digital version of the article on their website, aft.org
#7 of 9 Old 02-27-2011, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the most recent suggestions!  Hildare -  Love the suggestions!

Petey44 - I found it in the Feb 2011 "American Teacher."  The article, plus the other suggestions they gave for classroom resources will work perfectly for us.  

We live in WI so we've spent a lot of time talking about collective bargaining and attending rallies.  I thought a little bit of historical context might be helpful.

#8 of 9 Old 02-27-2011, 11:32 AM

#9 of 9 Old 02-28-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

spedteacher30 - Oh wow!  It's perfect.  Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page