Where Children Sleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-03-2011, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The whole book is online and browse-able.

http://issuu.com/chrisboot/docs/where_children_sleep_by_james_mollison

My heart breaks for Erlen.

I also found it interesting that the majority of the American children were mostly from upper class families.

What picture stood out for you the most? Whose story?

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#2 of 4 Old 03-03-2011, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

ugh. this book is a HUGE red flag for me. i must say i could hardly read the small print so couldnt tell you all the pictures of what i read.

however indigenous issues are my passion.

and i can tell you that book could have been shot in the US with almost all exact pictures except a few (which showed hunter gatherer living).

also some of them - again indigenous issues - they dont see themselves as poor or need the world to feel poor me. i think it was the animal skin tent picture from africa. 

the pictures that stood out for me were the ostentatious ones. it made me question - if i had tonnes of money would i fall into the trap of getting everything for my dd. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#3 of 4 Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There is a little bar at the top that looks similar to a volume bar. It lets you zoom in.

The premise of the book wasn't so much 'poor' indigenous people. In his introduction, he stated that he wanted to show how culture and circumstances relate to children, their possessions and their roles in their society.

Ami

ETA: I do agree though, the format of it is annoying and difficult to navigate.

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#4 of 4 Old 03-03-2011, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

i tried doing that but it didnt make the text big enough for me to be able to read comfortably. 

perhaps its the school computer.

i mentioned indigenous issues because i know a bit about them. that one picture of the tent/structure could be the chief's house. because we are judging from our perspective (i couldnt read to know exactly, but that doesnt matter).

coming from a developing country myself i am tired of the world using poverty as a selling issue.

showing that is what poverty is. 

and showing that poverty is a bad unhappy state of being. or what they define the signs of poverty usually are. 

esp. poverty from elsewhere but right here in the US where it exists just like bangladesh or rwanda or india. those exact same images of bare walls and a dirty mattress are very true here in the US too. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page