What's the draw of an iPod touch?? Clueless.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 03-20-2011, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(Mods - feel free to move - so clueless that I don't even know where this goes orngtongue.gif )

Sooo...everywhere I go, I see tons of little kids...like preschoolers, with iPod touches. For a while I thought they were iPhones bag.gif - that's how out of touch I am!! But now...every kids has one (or so it seems). Are DSi's and other gaming devices now defunct? Are iPod touches way cooler/better/etc. etc. etc.? I just have no clue...can someone clue me in? What do they do that's so cool, so that parents are putting dwn hundreds of dollars for their littles?

#2 of 33 Old 03-20-2011, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

i think its the 'shut up' 'out of hair' factor.

parents are not being disturbed.

its the wifi.

you can do many things compared to other systems.

you can play video games as well as watch shows/movies. 

are you sure those are the kids own ipods.

the ones around me i find are playing with their parents. not their own. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#3 of 33 Old 03-21-2011, 05:36 AM

Our girls play with my DH's iPod touch.  They certainly don't have their own.   There are a ton of cute little aps and games that are easy for them to access and play.  It is FUN to use your finger to control the screen.  And it is a real treat to be allowed to watch a video on it :)  They can also play music or see photos (especially from facebook of family overseas).

Some (we don't) might also have ebooks loaded onto their ipods, so that might be it as well.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#4 of 33 Old 03-21-2011, 05:51 AM

i have let my kids play with my itouch plenty of times but i wouldn't consider it for 'shutting up' or getting  'out of hair'.  sometimes my kids have to wait while i do things and it occupies their time.  they like playing angry birds and math games.

#5 of 33 Old 03-21-2011, 05:53 AM

All three of us own an iTouch.  My son got his at around 2.5yrs.  We have movies on it for him as well as a tonne of games (90% being of an educational nature).  His games have evovled from shape learning and colouring, to spelling, math, language (how many kids can say hello in Zulu?), reading and logic games.  He has tonnes of fun with them and I incoperate them into his homeschooling.  It is handy when we travel (which we do a lot of 8-10h road trips).  He also had a meditation chant app on it that he uses if his tummy is sore having a bm and if he needs quiet time.

We are a very technology based family though, I am sure waaaay more than the average M.Com family.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#6 of 33 Old 03-21-2011, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ds has had an iTouch since he was 5.  He loves music and constantly has his ear buds in.  It keeps the house quiet and everyone is happy.  He uses the text app to let me know when he's home from school.   I often use my iPhone as a "shut up" toy and I have no shame in that.  Dd is my constant companion, dr's appts, volunteer work, grocery stores, shopping...that stuff is pretty boring some days.  I have no issue with letting her do a letter puzzle, play some angry birds or watch some Dora to kill the time.

Both my kids cleaned their rooms in record time Saturday while listening to their iPod/iTouch.  It was hilarious to watch them both bobbing their heads and I was shocked that I didnt' have to yell at anyone to just clean up!  Music made that happen.:)

#7 of 33 Old 03-21-2011, 06:37 AM

I bought one for my daughter, for the apps because she didn't need a phone at the time. But she was a teen, I wouldn't buy one for a young child.

#8 of 33 Old 03-21-2011, 06:38 AM

I let DS play with my Touch when we are out to dinner.  There are lots of free apps like memory games, drawing, Sesame Street videos, etc. that he likes.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#9 of 33 Old 03-21-2011, 07:00 AM

My son has an I-touch and a DSi and they satisfy different needs.  His I-touch is great for netflix, movie/TV downloads and lots of games-zombie farm, angry birds, bookworm. His DSi is a camera, is good for playing games with friends and has games that you can't play on the I-touch.

I find it a little insulting to say that it is for a "shut up" factor. irked.gif  Why is that when kids use electronics its because their parents don't want to deal with them? Like all media it is about balance. I see nothing wrong with a child be able to entertain themselves when having long waits, on long trips etc the same way I like to play a game or 2 or read a book when I am stuck somewhere.

Purple Sage and lonegirl like this.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#10 of 33 Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

I find it a little insulting to say that it is for a "shut up" factor. irked.gif  Why is that when kids use electronics its because their parents don't want to deal with them? Like all media it is about balance. I see nothing wrong with a child be able to entertain themselves when having long waits, on long trips etc the same way I like to play a game or 2 or read a book when I am stuck somewhere.

i was being facetious. with preschoolers i have seen itouches or iphones whipped around to entertain the child right when they were talking too much (thus the shut up factor). it has also been offered to my dd at retaurants and doctors appts by other moms.

i think i recently heard an item on NPR on preschoolers and children under 5 - what a pro they are on those things.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#11 of 33 Old 03-21-2011, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

DH and I each have an iPod Touch. I like it because I have access to all the apps without having to buy an iPhone. We also have a DSi, but honestly all of us (kids included) use the iPod Touch more often these days. It's hard to justify spending $30 on a DSi game when you can download an app for $1 to $4, or even for free in many cases.

I altered the settings on my iPod Touch to block e-mail, web access, and YouTube, so my kids can only use the music, camera, and apps, all of which are kid-friendly. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#12 of 33 Old 03-21-2011, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

i was being facetious. with preschoolers i have seen itouches or iphones whipped around to entertain the child right when they were talking too much (thus the shut up factor). it has also been offered to my dd at retaurants and doctors appts by other moms.

i think i recently heard an item on NPR on preschoolers and children under 5 - what a pro they are on those things.

Admittedly, I have seen a lot of the 'shut up' factor with these things- I think like with anything, there are lines that can be crossed where it turns into an abuse rather than an accessory, kwim? I live in an area that's non-AP, to say the least, with a high socioeconomic demographic. Many, many of the preschoolers have these things and are on them constantly while moms are hanging at the Starbucks for coffee. I guess what struck me was when there were two preschoolers hanging out and side by side, they were playing with their ipod touches rather than interacting.

I just really didn't know the difference between this thing and an iPhone (other than th obvs ability to make a phonecall)

#13 of 33 Old 03-21-2011, 09:23 AM

I think kids are "pros" because most of these smart phones and the like are intuitive.  My son got his I-touch at age 6 or 7 and he picked it up and starting playing with no instruction.  Same with the the DSi that he got for Christmas last year. He popped in the cartridge and off he went.

I have offered my iphone to to moms in waiting rooms.  shrug.gif I was stuck waiting for the DR for over an hour and one kid was literally tearing the place apart and whining incessantly. The mom was frazzled and obviously really sick. The kid started playing with it immediately (and stopped driving everyone else crazy!). Her mom said she had never used one before.  She was about 4 or 5.

Of course I would never directly offer it to a small child.  One because it is way too expensive winky.gif and the other is because I would never offer a small child anything w/o the parents OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#14 of 33 Old 03-21-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post

I just really didn't know the difference between this thing and an iPhone (other than th obvs ability to make a phonecall)

Yes it's phone calls, GPS and always on internet vs the wifi only of ipod touch that are the core differences. Especially now that they added the video recording to the new ipod touches, the previous generations didn't have camera or video recording nor a mic. 

#15 of 33 Old 03-21-2011, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post

Yes it's phone calls, GPS and always on internet vs the wifi only of ipod touch that are the core differences. Especially now that they added the video recording to the new ipod touches, the previous generations didn't have camera or video recording nor a mic. 

Thank you  bag.gif

#16 of 33 Old 03-21-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

I have offered my iphone to to moms in waiting rooms.  shrug.gif I was stuck waiting for the DR for over an hour and one kid was literally tearing the place apart and whining incessantly. The mom was frazzled and obviously really sick. The kid started playing with it immediately (and stopped driving everyone else crazy!). Her mom said she had never used one before.  She was about 4 or 5.

see i would have no problems (and didnt hold it against the moms who did offer). however dd wasnt being a pest. she just had a million questions and i was enjoying answering them. perhaps other moms saw this as trouble for me and to give me a break handed dd their itouch with cartoons. of course my child is going to be glued and thus silent.

but OMG yes yes yes!!! these kids come out knowing the computer. dd grew up with the computer since i worked from home on some days with her on my lap. as a baby just sitting up she startedwith banging on the keyboard.

but its just not my child. i see other children who make me feel old from all the technology they use with such confidence.

i think the manufacturers are realising the positives of having multifaceted programs on the media. for instance if the DSi didnt have the camera or the animation app, my dd wouldnt even use it.

#17 of 33 Old 03-21-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

We have DSi's, and DDs only really love them for the cameras. There are some great games (Scribblenauts, anyone?) but honestly...they play with their old Leapfrog systems (all educational, go figure) way more often.

I'm now thinking about getting them an iPod touch though, mostly for the cheapness of the games and more usability. We're prety strict with 'screen time' rules, and it has to be earned and/or balanced with booktime (I'm a mean mama :lol ) We're the parents who did not get a DVD player in our car, but we have portable ones for planes. All about moderation and good use of technology :)

#18 of 33 Old 03-21-2011, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We got an itouch free with a laptop.
Dd1 has free use of it, but has never been that into electronics.
I too use it and see it as a "shut up" device. Not the I don't want a conversation with you, but a please don't ask how much longer one more time, just chill and relax, which they are just programed to be busy

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#19 of 33 Old 03-21-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post

All three of us own an iTouch.  My son got his at around 2.5yrs. 

Thank you for making me feel less like a freak. smile.gif

My 18 mo is constantly stealing my iPod from me. Since its a matter of giving it to him or having him throw a full blown 2 yo tantrum, often i just give it to him, especially in public. He knows how to turn it on, switch screens and can even turn on his music (we didnt teach him that, he figured it out on his own). I actually had to password lock it to keep him from deleting all my apps.

DH wants to get him his own, and probably will for his 2nd bday.

So while some might consider that the shut up factor, i don't since hes actually asking for it.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#20 of 33 Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 PM

I'm behind the times lol! DS is begging for one. I'm curious, how much do they cost??

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#21 of 33 Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 PM

My 10 year old inherited mine since she uses it more that I do. I have turned off you-tube and the internet, but it still works for her games and she can do free texting with her friends who also have the same app. I have loaded some free audiobooks from Librivox.org onto it and she listens to it at bedtime on her small speakers by the bed (not headphones, as I want to make sure that's all she's listening too and not playing games at bedtime!). The movies and games have been very useful when waiting endlessly at urgent care, the medical lab, and other such places where they are not feeling up to coloring or playing, but can sit and forget about how crummy they feel while waiting. My 10yo uses her allowance (which is not much) to buy music she's into, like Owl City.

My 7yo has also inherited an older model ipod nano that she has a ton of stories loaded onto. You know, you can copy the files off audio CD's from the library right into itunes? She has a lot of those read along stories loaded. I just loaded Harry Potter recently, and one of the Naria books. She's listening to Heidi right now from the Librivox website.

I guess it's all in how you use it. I had it first and used the free Skype to call my dh from college (with wi fi) before I got a cell phone. I also used the texting and internet search features, also free with wifi access.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#22 of 33 Old 03-22-2011, 11:09 PM

My kids have iPod touches and DSi's, and the touches are definitely the preferred handheld device. One good thing is that you can buy an app once and install it on multiple devices... so, anything I had already installed on my iPhone, the kids got for free.

For the PP who asked, we got 4th generations from Amazon for $205. DSi's cost $169 plus $30+ for each game, so I think between the two the iPod touch is a better investment. It takes and stores pictures, videos, is an e-reader, tons of educational and just for fun apps, a device to watch movies, a voice recorder, interpreter, and on and on. Oh, and it's an iPod. LOL! Having music and earbuds is great for my 6 yo with sensory issues. If we are somewhere overstimulating, he can listen to music.

A reminder - disable the ability to purchase apps within apps. I have iTunes PW protected, but forgot to do that for one of the iPods and my youngest bought $17 in Jurassic bucks (?).

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#23 of 33 Old 03-23-2011, 11:06 AM

We are another high tech "hippie" family.  I know it's because my DP was a video game store manager for several years.  My dream to live off grid will probably never happen, but one never knows.  winky.gif

DS was given a iTouch for his 8th birthday.  It's the only thing he wanted.  He loves it and treasures it (almost a year & a half later).  Reads (books & comic books) on it, plays games, watches netflix and has quite the music collection.  That kid has good music taste, if I don't say so myself. 

I hear ya on disabling the ability to buy apps.  We don't have a cc attached to his, so he can only buy apps if someone gives him a iTunes card.  And all purchases that he makes are sent to an email that I monitor. 

It works for him, especially if he's stuck at a Little League board meeting with Dad because Mom is in study group. Or when he comes with me to knitting group. 

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#24 of 33 Old 03-24-2011, 11:35 AM

can y'all explain the difference between the various "generations"?  i want a touch, but i don't understand how to buy one. i know i want one with a camera, though.

also, how does the GB difference hold up?  how much does 8GB do, since it's the cheapest?  what would be the benefit of getting 32 or 64 GB instead?

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#25 of 33 Old 03-24-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesstutu View Post

can y'all explain the difference between the various "generations"?  i want a touch, but i don't understand how to buy one. i know i want one with a camera, though.

also, how does the GB difference hold up?  how much does 8GB do, since it's the cheapest?  what would be the benefit of getting 32 or 64 GB instead?

I don't know the difference between the generations, but I know that my entire iTunes music library won't fit on my 8GB iPod Touch -- I had to pick and choose which songs to load onto it. And my DH wasn't able to download certain games that were too large to fit on his. 

#26 of 33 Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 PM

Thanks, limabean.  I see from looking around that 4th generation is the newest version.  Perhaps I should get the 64GB just to be safe.  Such a steep price, though!  $400 for something that I can hold in the palm of my hands and lose somewhere. LOL

I know kids that have one, though, and it looks like so much fun.

#27 of 33 Old 03-24-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesstutu View Post

Thanks, limabean.  I see from looking around that 4th generation is the newest version.  Perhaps I should get the 64GB just to be safe.  Such a steep price, though!  $400 for something that I can hold in the palm of my hands and lose somewhere. LOL

I know kids that have one, though, and it looks like so much fun.

I don't know the price difference between the 32 and 64GB versions (ETA: just looked it up -- the 32GB is $299), but if it's significant you should check how many GB you have on iTunes and see if you'd need the 64GB or if you could get away with the 32GB. If you open iTunes and look at the bottom it'll tell you your total GB of used space; for example, mine says 7.08GB for all my music, podcasts, videos, and apps combined. I guess it doesn't all fit on my 8GB iPod Touch because some space is taken up by stuff that comes preloaded on the device. So anyway, if you only have, say, 10GB of data stored on iTunes, then you'll probably be fine with the 32GB iPod, you know? My experience so far has been that the apps don't take up much space at all. 

#28 of 33 Old 03-24-2011, 01:54 PM

Oh, great advice!  Thanks!

#29 of 33 Old 03-24-2011, 04:12 PM
ssh

If I was going to spend $400 or more I'd just get another ipad. My 5 year old DD loves my DHs ipad. It's abit heavy and expensive for her to use unsupervised though. A lot of apps work on both ipads and the ipod touch.

#30 of 33 Old 03-24-2011, 05:27 PM

Also remember that you can easily change the music on your ipod. My dp has an 8GB and it runs all of his apps and he just rotates his music choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

I don't know the price difference between the 32 and 64GB versions (ETA: just looked it up -- the 32GB is $299), but if it's significant you should check how many GB you have on iTunes and see if you'd need the 64GB or if you could get away with the 32GB. If you open iTunes and look at the bottom it'll tell you your total GB of used space; for example, mine says 7.08GB for all my music, podcasts, videos, and apps combined. I guess it doesn't all fit on my 8GB iPod Touch because some space is taken up by stuff that comes preloaded on the device. So anyway, if you only have, say, 10GB of data stored on iTunes, then you'll probably be fine with the 32GB iPod, you know? My experience so far has been that the apps don't take up much space at all. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page