Do You Love Your eReader? Tell Me Why! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 06-19-2011, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love my Kindle!  I got mine as a Christmas gift when I had just moved to Texas, before I knew my way around this town or how to get to the library - it really helped.  As others have mentioned, you barely ever have to charge it as long as you turn the Wi-Fi off.  The Wi-Fi's handy though for Wikipedia and Dictionary.com to look something up quickly while you're reading.  I really like mine and I'm looking forward to being able to borrow library books on it!

#32 of 39 Old 06-20-2011, 11:37 AM

I have a pocketbook IQ, which runs the Android OS. The default reader software lets me use a lot of different formats of ebooks, and I can download other reader apps to let me read other things like kindle or nook books. I love it because it is completely DRM free and customizable. The only things I don't like about it are that is is a bit heavy, probably the same weight as an ipad? The touch screen is also a little odd. The biggest selling point was that it didn't lock me into a certain file format.

#33 of 39 Old 06-20-2011, 11:54 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Both the Kindle and the regular Nook have a bad "flash" when turning pages, which gives me a headache.  The Nook Color (and the Nook app for smartphones) does not do this.  The Nook Color is a bit heavy, though--heavier than your average hardback. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#34 of 39 Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I just found out how to change the background color on the NOOK COLOR.... you have a choice of 5-6 shades of white/gray/black.... this really helps with any eye fatigue !   I feel like such a ditz for not realizing this capability sooner.   The options are on the blue control panel on the bottom on of the screen!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#35 of 39 Old 07-19-2011, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

OP back again! LOL  I appreciate everyone's experiences so much.  Thanks!  Now I have another question...with all the Borders stores closing, what does that mean for their e-reader?  Will we still be able to get books?  Anyone know?

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#36 of 39 Old 08-03-2011, 10:20 AM

LOVE my Kindle. I do think that the inability to lend books or give them to someone else after you read them is a big drawback, though. I've more or less gotten around it by registering my parents' Kindle to my account, so we can share all our books, because 95% of my book-sharing has always been with my mom. If they want to buy a book, they can just go into their Amazon account and send it to my Kindle as a gift, and we can put it on both devices.

It's light, it's easy on the eyes (easier than a print book, especially in direct sunlight), and I have loads of public-domain books on there as free downloads -- many that are almost impossible to find as a paper book!

#37 of 39 Old 08-05-2011, 04:33 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I finally ended up buying the Nook color and I love it!  Beyond reading on it, I can surf the web, and ds can play games on it. 

It does need to be re-charged frequently, though. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#38 of 39 Old 08-27-2011, 07:27 AM

bumping because I'm in the market for one too.  I just played with a Nook Color yesterday ad B&N, it was nice.  The audio was low though.  I see that Amazon is supposed to be coming out with a new Kindle and even a Kindle Tablet soon. I"m gonna hold out till I see what they are like since I already use a lot of Amazon's services.  

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#39 of 39 Old 09-01-2011, 05:10 AM

I got the Nook Touch and I really like it. I wanted something simple that didn't require a wifi connection and was able to read most books. It's been very easy to put my own books as well as library books onto it.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page