Do You Love Your eReader? Tell Me Why! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 03-21-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH wants to make the transition to an e-reader.  Thing is, he is baffled by a no-frills cell phone.  Touch-screen seems like it would be simpler, no?  How easy is yours to use?  Is there a brick-and-mortar store that sells the Kindle? (I don't like buying electronics that we can't test drive first.  Plus, our state has a rockin' automatic four-year warranty on anything bought here, so we prefer to buy in-state, especially expensive stuff)  Anyone have the Kobe, Nook, or Sony eReaders?  Give me the scoop, please!

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 39 Old 03-21-2011, 07:32 AM

I have a kindle, but no longer read on it because I much prefer reading on the ipad and my iphone. I just really don't like e-ink, I prefer color and the sharpness and contrast of the text are much better on my iphone ( the retina display of iphone 4 is incredible) and ipad. Plus it's backlit, on my kindle I either needed to use a booklight in low lights situations or leave the light on in the room. I can adjust the brightness on my Apple devices and change the background and text colors.

I like reading ebooks but, my biggest complaint is that with kindle books we don't own them, we just have a right to use. And the fact that there is still a format war and DRM ( digital rights management) means we have a long way to go before we get to the level that digital music has gotten, which is now DRM free from itunes and emusic which are the only digital music sources I use. At least with the Apple itunes store I can read ebooks from the kindle store, ibooks, Barnes and Nobles nook plus a variety of other ebook apps plus reading pdf's and epubs ect. There is basically an app for almost every format, although Sony has not gotten their app approved yet.

#3 of 39 Old 03-21-2011, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have a Nook Color (bought from Barnes & Noble) and I love, love, love it! 

It has a beautiful color screen, a slot for a microSD card for expanded memory and it can use Word, PDF & ePub files.  And... built in WiFi.

As for ease of use, my 7 year old (he LOVES the Read to Me feature) and my 91 year old grandmother both figured out how to work it pretty quickly... without my even knowing they were playing with it.  

I haven't had any technical issues with it, with the exception of when I first bought it right after Xmas.  They weren't prepared for the mass of people who bought them and they were have significant delays with eBook downloads from the B&N website.  But, when I took it back to the B&N store, they were super helpful and even gave me a $15 gift card for my inconvenience.   

#4 of 39 Old 03-21-2011, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post

Is there a brick-and-mortar store that sells the Kindle?

Our Target store sells the Kindle and has one out for trial. 

#5 of 39 Old 03-21-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far, they really help!  Now, I have a couple other questions....if you buy a Nook from B&N or a Kobe from Borders or a Kindle from amazon, can you buy ebooks from anywhere, or just through the store you bought the eReader?  If you don't own the books, just have permission to use them, can you not store them on a disk if the eReader gets full (although it seems impossible to fill one up, at least "they" like to make you think so)?

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#6 of 39 Old 03-21-2011, 09:31 AM

This is a really good review that should answer many of your questions.
http://news.cnet.com/kindle-vs-nook-vs-ipad-which-e-book-reader-should-you-buy
#7 of 39 Old 03-21-2011, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a Kindle.  I like it, but I use my iPod Touch to read my Kindle books a lot more often.  The only time I use the Kindle is when I'm reading away from a power source for a long time because the battery life of the Kindle is like 50 zillion times longer than the iTouch.  I have a little book light that works well, and it doesn't bother me to use it.  As far as I know, you can only buy books from Amazon for the Kindle, but that's fine with me. 

#8 of 39 Old 03-21-2011, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a kindle.  I love the e-ink, hate hate HATE reading on my droid incredible.  Did I say hate?  HATE.  love my kindle, though.  I get irritated when I feel like I ought to be reading a book (like someone is willing to loan it to me) because it's not on my kindle.  THe new kindles come with a built in light, so you don't need a booklight anymore.  I like that I can read in bright sun and not worry about not being able to see it.  Or with my polarized sunglasses.  I like the size.  It's a good weight, and easy to use one-handed (important when I'm nursing, especially!).  Mine is a kindle 2, though.  The newest ones seem to have fixed my few gripes with it (like that there's only a back button on one side).  I think touch screen would have a steeper learning curve, but maybe that's just because my phone did.  Kindle was very easy to use, imo.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#9 of 39 Old 03-21-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post

Thanks for the replies so far, they really help!  Now, I have a couple other questions....if you buy a Nook from B&N or a Kobe from Borders or a Kindle from amazon, can you buy ebooks from anywhere, or just through the store you bought the eReader?  If you don't own the books, just have permission to use them, can you not store them on a disk if the eReader gets full (although it seems impossible to fill one up, at least "they" like to make you think so)?

You can't read Kindle books on a Nook and vice versa, same with the Sony e-reader, reason being they each have their own DRM attached to their ebooks. With the iphone and ipad you can read all those, but you need to read them within their specific application. So I read my kindle book in the kindle for iphone app and Brnes and Noble book in their app and Kobo has their own app too. Each of those devices have specific file types they work with. Here is a list of the various file types and which devices use them. 

You can store ebooks on your computer but you need a program/app to be able to read them. Kindle requires the kindle for mac or kindle for windows app. A variety of programs will read nonDRM file types but most ebookstores do not sell non DRM files now.

#10 of 39 Old 03-21-2011, 10:07 AM

I downloaded the kindle and B&N e-reader on to my Iphone but found the screen to small however I just bought the Ipad2 and am loving it for books! I just went on vacation and it was so great to bring 6 "books" with me in my carryon luggage! I use the apple book app as well as the other ones so that I full access to tons of books.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#11 of 39 Old 03-21-2011, 10:12 AM

I have a KOBO, and I have to say that I love it.  Its simple enough that my 6 and 3yo can use it, and it uses formats that are compatable with Library downloads so I can get lots of free books.  I also like the fact that it is ONLY an e-reader, and doesn't have any e-mail/web browsing capabilities so I'm confident that they won't be able to get into any trouble by pushing random buttons.

That said though I am in Canada and the other readers aren't as readily available here.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#12 of 39 Old 03-21-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post

I have a kindle.  I love the e-ink, hate hate HATE reading on my droid incredible.  Did I say hate?  HATE.  love my kindle, though.  I get irritated when I feel like I ought to be reading a book (like someone is willing to loan it to me) because it's not on my kindle.  THe new kindles come with a built in light, so you don't need a booklight anymore.  I like that I can read in bright sun and not worry about not being able to see it.  Or with my polarized sunglasses.  I like the size.  It's a good weight, and easy to use one-handed (important when I'm nursing, especially!).  Mine is a kindle 2, though.  The newest ones seem to have fixed my few gripes with it (like that there's only a back button on one side).  I think touch screen would have a steeper learning curve, but maybe that's just because my phone did.  Kindle was very easy to use, imo.

I'm with you. I adore my Kindle. It as absolutely intuitive to use and the e-ink screen doesn't give me a headache the way a lit screen does if I use it for too long. 

I do get most of my books from Amazon, but a lot of them are free. I also frequent Smashwords, Project Guttenberg, and some publishers websits (like Baen Books) for good deals. I'm an incredible fast reader and my Kindle means I'm not stuck at the kids' dance studio reading the same book for the third time in a row. 

#13 of 39 Old 03-21-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland73 View Post

I have a Nook Color (bought from Barnes & Noble) and I love, love, love it! 

It has a beautiful color screen, a slot for a microSD card for expanded memory and it can use Word, PDF & ePub files.  And... built in WiFi.

As for ease of use, my 7 year old (he LOVES the Read to Me feature) and my 91 year old grandmother both figured out how to work it pretty quickly... without my even knowing they were playing with it.  

I haven't had any technical issues with it, with the exception of when I first bought it right after Xmas.  They weren't prepared for the mass of people who bought them and they were have significant delays with eBook downloads from the B&N website.  But, when I took it back to the B&N store, they were super helpful and even gave me a $15 gift card for my inconvenience.   

This. Love my Nook. I got it as a gift and never in a million years would have bought one for myself.

You can convert just about any ebook format to work on it. My mom is very tech savvy and showed me how. Its pretty simple, and I fear technology.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#14 of 39 Old 03-21-2011, 01:00 PM

Love my Kindle. Don't like the Kindle app for iPad as much as the Kindle itself tho it is ok.

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
#15 of 39 Old 03-21-2011, 02:20 PM

I have the pandigital reader, which is the "generic" nook. I love it! It has wi-fi and all of those features and is super user friendly. It has a backlight and it also has a night mode for reading. The only drawback is the battery doesn't last as long as say, the Kindle. But, it's awesome not having to drag books with me everywhere.

"We submit to the majority because we have to. But we are not compelled to call our attitude of subjection a posture of respect."
Ambrose Bierce 
#16 of 39 Old 03-23-2011, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post

This is a really good review that should answer many of your questions.
http://news.cnet.com/kindle-vs-nook-vs-ipad-which-e-book-reader-should-you-buy

This is a great review.  I have a NookColor and LOVE it. My 10 yr old loves it (I still dont know 1/2 of what it can do).   I try to only get the free books or cheap books,  I can get library books on it too so that saves me from having to go to the library.

I still read 'old fashioned' paper books too but I love my nook.  (that sounds dirty)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#17 of 39 Old 03-26-2011, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

If I had to do it over again I wouldn't have bought a Nook.  Barnes and Noble stole my money!  I had two gift cards and they couldn't properly bill me for the e-books I bought.  First they billed my credit card, then made the books stop working on the Nook, and then money mysteriously disappeared from the cards with no explanation of where or why.  Every time I called no one knew how to help me and just made the problem worse.  After calling on 4 separate occasions without a resolution I just went back to paper books.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#18 of 39 Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 PM

+1 for the Nook. I have the non-color version and LOVE it. If you use Calibre (free software-like a media manager for digital books), you can convert just about any format to be combatible. The latest firmware from B&N really worked out a lot of the kinks it had, mainly library organization/search issues. They really seem to listen to their users as far as what functionality to offer. If you don't have an issue with a backlight, the Nook color can be hacked to make one of the most affordable full-function android tablets on the market.

mama to DD yikes2.gif She's a teenager! 12/19/97 and DS jammin.gif 09/18/03
#19 of 39 Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Target sells Kindle

There is no risk is buying Kindle fomr Amazon. If you do not like it, you just return it.

I love my Kindle. If you keep wi-Fi turned off, the battary works for weeks. I love that I can get a book in less than 15 mins. I have subscriptions on that too. It fits in my purse and does not collect  dust. It is everything I dreamed of.

#20 of 39 Old 03-27-2011, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Real Kindle does not make my eye tired like Ipad etc. Also, i like that I can share my books with 5 devices, so my husband and kids can read same books.

#21 of 39 Old 03-28-2011, 06:03 AM

I have the sony ereader, my very generous dad gave it to me after he moved to the larger model.

I love it.  It's pretty robus and not too big, so a vote from me.  I've only tried the Kindle once but it felt rather plasticy and cheap to me...at first i thought i was holding the shop display dummy (the gutless type, like they do with expensive mobile phones). YMMV.

#22 of 39 Old 03-28-2011, 07:07 AM

My 12 y/o is using the Kindle in school, and she loves it.  FWIW, she has some visual tracking issues, which I thought would pose a problem or be uncomfortable for her with an e-reader.  So far, however, no complaints.

#23 of 39 Old 03-28-2011, 09:13 AM

I love my Nook!  I bought it last summer before the color ones came out but I don't really read anything in color so I don't know that it matters.  I love that I can download a new book right after I've finished a book without having to go to the store (or even get out of bed if I don't want to!) 

The only thing I'm having a hard time getting used to is bookmarking.  If I have a book that I need/want to go back and reference soemthing from it's not easy to just flip through the pages and find it.  There is a book mark function so you can mark pages to go back to I just always forget to use it.  That would be my only complaint. 

Plus I'm totally addicted to the sudko game on there and I can listen to music on it like an MP3 player!!

#24 of 39 Old 04-10-2011, 08:35 PM

I have a Nook Color.  LOVE IT!!!!  I check out library books at least once a week.  I actually haven't purchased a book in over a month.  However, my library system isn't the greatest, so I am mostly reading fluffy romance novels...which is perfect for me because I'm about the finish my MA and I need a little distraction ;)  To much academic reading. 

Anyways, you can get loads of books.  I highly recommend it. 

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#25 of 39 Old 04-24-2011, 12:55 PM

There is new "war" going on between traditional publishers and self-published authors, who are totally supported by these fast spreading e-reading culture. The WSJ report is very interesting http://www.marketwatch.com/video/asset/digits-cheap-e-books-have-big-publishers-in-bind/DB784F5E-78D8-4515-A769-CF6645A551C1

#26 of 39 Old 04-27-2011, 01:54 PM

That was an interesting video!

I think the eBook market is making people look hard at the publishing industry, and it has certainly made lose a great deal of respect for it. I like that smaller authors are circumventing the system in this way.

Some issues I am having with the large publishing companies at the moment:

Many publishers are limiting library check-outs to 25 before the book "disappears" and the library needs to buy a new copy. Now, I don't know how long the average library book lasts in the system before it is lost or destroyed, but I am guessing it is a lot longer than 25 check-outs. There are some books in my library that I check out on that were published in the early 80's, and no doubt have been checked out literally hundreds of times. Not to mention that with eBooks the media is automatically returned after its time limit, and the library is unable to collect late fees because of this. It seems to me that eBooks might be a big revenue loss to the public library system if things go on the way they are. It is a shame that the publishing companies are trying to bleed such a valuable public resource.

I completely disagree with the publishers' lending policy. I know some publishers have a limited lending allowance, and then the book can never be lent again. Other publishers do not allow lending at all. Yet I am paying almost the same price for an eBook, and unless I hand over my Kindle to a friend for a week (which is probably considered illegal in some fine-print agreement somewhere!) the book can never be shared.

Ditto for selling my finished books. If used bookshops, garage sales, and the like are not illegal then I think it is ridiculous that reselling eBooks is.

That being said, I really enjoy my Kindle.
#27 of 39 Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 AM

Such a great post, Tinuviel, and I agree whole-heartedly. I'm all for publishers and authors protecting themselves against illegal copying of their work. However, I find it highly objectionable that the customer does not actually own that book and cannot resell or lend it. (*ETF - I ought to have said "freely" lend it - Amazon does now offer a service where you can lend a book, but you are only allowed to lend any given book twice and only for two weeks at a time. Paper books, I can lend out endlessly as long as people return them.) Especially since the customer has paid almost as much for the book as they would have for a paper copy, and the publisher has not had to incur any of the costs associated with publishing on paper.

#28 of 39 Old 04-28-2011, 01:37 PM

I have a nookColor and LOVE it. Since I got it a month ago I've read 20 to 30 books. The month before that, I'd only read a couple. It's just so easy to bring with me, stay up in bed and read when little one is asleep, read while he naps. No trying to hold pages open or to turn them silently. I put a memory card in it and I can listen to music, put pictures on there, even watch movies! Plus, with the upgrade they are doing this week, you can download apps and watch videos online. I have not paid for any books but have over 100 on it currently. And B&N does two week free trial of any magazine so I have about 20 magazines on there that haven't cost anything either.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#29 of 39 Old 06-18-2011, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I have a Kindle and love it. I like being able to take a dozen books with me when I go away and only have the weight of one! I have been having a lot of trouble with hand pain recently and just being able to set the Kindle down and not hold it open actually makes a difference for me.

I am in Canada and it does frustrate me that some books are not available to me here. I can buy the paperback but not the e-book and that makes no sense to me. It isn't a deal breaker for me but just an annoyance.

The battery lasts forever. I have had mine for 4 months and only charged it 2 or 3 times and I use it frequently.

#30 of 39 Old 06-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Banned

I love my Kindle.  I usually have a couple books going at any one time and I switch back and forth depending on my mood.  The Kindle lets me have them all with me all the time.  I can read books in the kindle format and in .pdf format.  I get books from Amazon, Baen, and project Gutenberg.  I can't borrow library books yet, but amazon is working on a program that will make that possible.  

User Tag List