Book for 9yo about bodies, reproduction etc... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-30-2011, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DDs are 7 (almost 8) and 9.  We have a super open relationship.  We talk a lot about bodies, puberty etc... we've had the where babies come from talk, they know the basics of sex and reproduction etc.....

My youngest DD just comes right out with questions but, my older DD is a little more reserved.  She does better when I have a book or a website with information to go over with her. 

So, although we've talked about bodies, puberty, changes etc... I'm thinking about getting The Care and Keeping of You book.  I'm also thinking about another book dealing more with reproduction, sexuality etc.....

My DD is a pretty advanced reader and like I said, she has a pretty good initial understanding of those things. 

So, I'm looking for book recommendations.  I need something that goes a bit beyond the very basics.  Obviously, I don't want something graphic but, what I'm finding seems to be geared toward the very young.

I was looking at It's So Amazing but, it looks like it's very, very basic???  It says it's geared toward 4-8 yo.   Maybe It's Perfectly Normal?   I don't know.  I'm reading some of the reviews it they say it's more appropriate for the 12-14 age group.   It also seems to have a section dealing with abortion and this is not a subject I want to introduce to my 9 yo. 

DD is very innocent.  She's not worldly at all and talking about sex is uncomfortable for her so I don't want to overwhelm her with a book that's too graphic.  But, whatever I get, it definitely won't be something that I'd just hand her and have her go off by herself to read.  We would read it together. 

I'd appreciate any book recommendations for the in between group.  Those with some basic knowledge but, those who are still young enough that the information needs to be appropriate for a 9/10ish age group.

#2 of 5 Old 03-30-2011, 07:25 PM

Most of my son's knowledge, age 9, has been via off the cuff conversations.  We have never had a "big talk" but instead have talked about it as every day life.  Spending a lot of time in nature has helped too, LOL.

That said we have this book called Its the Stork and it has been a good reference book.  I bought when my son was first grade. Completely age appropriate. The "official" age levels are K-3 so all your kids could read it. However please note that it is pretty basic so it may still be too "young" for your daughters depending on what you guys have talked about.

http://www.amazon.com/Its-Not-Stork-Families-Friends/dp/0763600474

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#3 of 5 Old 04-01-2011, 05:37 PM

Have you checked over in the preteen and teen forums? There have been a lot of discussions of books on this subject over there.

#4 of 5 Old 04-01-2011, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Ack!!!  It can not be time for the pre-teen forum. It just can't.  It's not possible........  sigh........ guess I could go check over there.

#5 of 5 Old 04-03-2011, 05:42 PM

What's Happening to My Body, by Lynda and Area Madaras. My mom gave it to me when I was 8. Covers all the things your DD probably wants to know, and definitely covers what she needs to know. It's not inappropriately graphic, either (but it does have line drawings of genitalia and reproductive organs for illustrative purposes). Best puberty book I ever read. orngbiggrin.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Happening-Body-Book-Girls/dp/1557044449

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page