April Book Challenge - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger

Cute middle-grade novel about a misfit sixth-grade boy who creates an Origami Yoda which he wears on his finger. Yoda starts giving advice to his classmates--and the advice is very good. When he gives Tommy advice about a very tricky situation, Tommy puts together a case file to help him decide if he should follow Yoda's advice or not.This is a fun, fast read--good for 4-6th graders, a good choice for reluctant readers as well.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

#15 All the Pretty Horses-Cormac McCarthy. The novel tells of John Grady Cole, a sixteen year old cowboy who grew up on his grandfather's ranch in San Angelo West Texas. The story begins in 1949, soon after the death of John Grady's grandfather, when Grady learns that the ranch is to be sold. Faced with the prospect of moving into town, Grady instead chooses to leave, persuading his best friend, Lacey Rawlins, to accompany him. Traveling by horseback, the pair travel Southward into Mexico, where they hope to find work as cowboys.

Sad, funny, and bleak at times. Just a beautiful book. I will be reading more by Mr. McCarthy.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:21 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post

#17 Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Very good book that covers a tragic subject from a present day fictionalized account and also a historical character's perspective.  It's about a roundup of Jewish families that lived in Paris and were rounded up by the French Police, ordered to by the Nazis, and sent to a local stadium before shipped off to concentration camps.  Lots of tears, but very compelling story.

I loved "Sarah's Key"!   I read it years ago and still think about it.  I realize it was "fiction"; but plausible fiction since the author did her research.  Hard to forget. 

I also saw someone mentioned "Thirteen Reasons Why".  Read that earlier this year.  My dd did too--it was great fuel for a good conversation.  Makes you think about your actions.  

Now to my books.  I usually prefer fiction--but lately I have been on a non-fiction rampage. :)  Most recently:

Spark

http://www.amazon.com/Spark-Revolutionary-Science-Exercise-Brain/dp/0316113506/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303882032&sr=8-1

Suicide by Sugar

http://www.amazon.com/Suicide-Sugar-Startling-National-Addiction/dp/0757003060/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303882071&sr=1-1

Read "From then to now" for a possible addition to our history stuff for homeschool.

http://www.amazon.com/Then-Now-Short-History-World/dp/0887765408/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303882296&sr=1-1

With my girls, I have read "The Star Maker" by Laurence Yep.  It is a quick read about a Chinese-American boy in the 1950's.  He ended up promising fire crackers to all his cousins by Chinese New Year.  There is a second story line about his uncle, who ends up helping the boy with his problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Maker-Laurence-Yep/dp/0060253150/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303882226&sr=1-2

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Jumpstart the World by Catherine Ryan Hyde

Fifteen-year-old Elle is on her own. Her mother has set her up in an apartment because her new boyfriend doesn't want Elle around. That's okay though--her new neighbor Frank is kind and gentle. He pays attention to her and actually seems to like her. Elle finds herself falling for him . . . but then she finds out he is transgender--and isn't sure what to do with that information. Leave it to Hyde to tackle another "taboo" subject with compassion and honesty to give us another unforgettable story.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 04-29-2011, 09:10 AM

The Man Who Could Fly by Rudolfo Anaya

Anaya is one of my favourite writers because of Bless Me Ultima, Tortuga and now Serafina's Stories

If you have never read him before, I would start with any of those books and not with this short storiy collection.

I just did not like it as much.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:27 AM

#16 Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk David Sedaris

I am a big fan of David Sedaris. I did not love this book. It was ok. There were a few laugh out loud parts, but nothing like some of his past reads. I guess I like stories about people behaviong badly compared to animals behaving badly. And some of the stories had parts that were just yucky (animal like yes, but not enjoyable).

Onto something different.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:23 AM

April
47. The Hollow Bettle  by Susannah Appelbaum
48. Left Neglected by Lisa Genova
49.Delirium by Lauren Oliver
50.Why Shoot a Butler? by Georgette Heyer
51.Promised Valley Rebellion by Ron Fritsch
52.Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis
53. The Tasters' Guild by Susannah Appelbaum
54. The School of Night by Louis Bayard
55. Time and Again by Jack Finney
56. The Lost Hero  by Rick Riordan
57. The Library Card by Jerry Spinelli
58. The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown
59.These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf
60.My Reading Life by Pat Conroy

Old 04-30-2011, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

January

1. Only Son - Kevin O'Brien

2. Planning To Live - Heather Wardell

3. The 7 Wonders That Will Change Your Life - Glenn Beck/ Keith Ablow

4. Life, Love and a Polar Bear Tatoo - Heather Wardell

5. Carved In Bone - Jefferson Bass

February

6. Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher 

7. The Abstinence Teacher- Tom Perrotta

8. One Fine Day Your're Gonna Die- Gail Bowen  (90 pgs)

9. Term Limits - Vince Flynn

10. Scars - Cheryl Rainfield 

March

11. After- Amy Efaw

12. Hold Still- Nina LaCour

13. Pretty Little Things-Jilliane Hoffman 

14. Happen Every Day- Isabel Gilles

15. School Days- Robert B. Parker 

April 

16. I Am Emotional Creature: The Secret Life of Girls Around the World  - Eve Ensler

17. Plea of Insanity- Jilliane Hoffman

18. Unsweetined- Jodie Sweetin

19. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants- Ann Brashares

20. The Second Summer of the Sisterhood - Ann Brashares

May

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 05-02-2011, 06:47 AM

The Curse of Chupacabra by Rudolfo Anaya

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/a/rudolfo-anaya/curse-of-chupacabra.htm

Hmm, I must say I really enjoyed this book, even though it got bad reviews and is already out of print even though it just came out a few years ago.

Would I recommend it? Not if you have never read Anaya and want to become familiar with his works.

However if you like thrillers with a supernatural elements and folktales you just might have fun with this book. Like all Anaya books, it could be for YA or adults for there is never anything inappropriate. Anaya mentions in his preface that this book was written as a response to all the letters he gets from Chicanos in prisons asking for books that deal with their history and culture.   The book deals with gangs, and the drug trade.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:07 PM

The Scent of Rain and Lightning, Pickard

Quote:
A decades-old mystery is solved and a woman’s haunting questions put to rest in Pickard’s latest thriller. When she was just three years old, Jody Linder lost both parents in one night, when her father, Hugh Jay—eldest son of the wealthiest rancher in the small town of Rose, Kansas—was killed and her mother, Laurie, vanished. Raised by grandparents, Hugh Senior and Annabelle Linder, and with loving support from three uncles, Jody spends years collecting human detritus around the area’s towering Testament Rocks, where authorities once searched for clues to Laurie’s disappearance. Jody’s world is rocked 23 years later when Billy Crosby, the vicious drunk convicted of her father’s murder on circumstantial evidence, is released for a new trial; his return to town brings events to a head. In her second stand-alone (after The Virgin of Small Plains, 2006), Pickard shows her storytelling skills, weaving elements of deception, revenge, and romance into a novel with full-bodied characters who deal with tragedy as best they can; Annabelle Linder’s encounter with Crosby’s wife is particularly moving. From an award-winning author, this is engrossing fiction with an eminently satisfying denouement.

Really, really good.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:48 PM

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1311278/may-book-challenge#post_16424653

I was feeling a little Carpe Diem and took the liberty of starting May's thread Rainbow.gif

User Tag List