Kids books about religion, spirituality, and Jesus? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-03-2011, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD stated today, much to my utter amazement, "I'm full of questions about Jesus". bigeyes.gif

Does anyone have any good kids book recommendations about religion, spirituality, Jesus (from a non-Christian perspective)? (This question was sparked in her by a library book about Easter that we have at home that mentions the crucifixion. She keeps looking at that page and asking why? how? etc).

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-07-2011, 08:33 PM

I recently posted a review of The Story of Religion by Betsy Maestro, which may be what you are looking for.  It isn't really from any particular perspective.  It takes a "many paths to truth" approach and uses language like "Christians believe..." for each religion rather than presenting any one as the truth.  

There aren't many good kids' books about religion.  It's unfortunate because so many kids are so curious about it.  

Hope you find what you are looking for :)

Librarian, Blogger, Book Reviewer, Mama
#3 of 5 Old 04-17-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll look into your suggestion! I've been searching at my library, but haven't found anything geared at the preschool set.  Maybe because it's difficult to explain abstract concepts to kids so young? I don't know. Too bad though. 

#4 of 5 Old 04-17-2011, 10:21 PM

Well, this isn't so much about "Jesus" per se but it's about most religions --

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Rule-Ilene-Cooper/dp/081090960X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303103760&sr=8-1

All about the Golden Rule and its equivalent in the major religions (and some smaller/less known cultures as well).  It's quite introspective.  Dd1 really was captivated by it and as a result, is very interested in peace and justice issues.  Dd2 (4) was less interested in it - although she listened, and had questions, she wasn't quite as captivated as her 7 year old sister.

Have you asked your librarian about this?  You might end up going through several books and reading them yourself, books from a Christian perspective and then discuss as you read them....

Is this something you could explain without a book?  Discuss, look up some pictures online, that sort of thing instead where you can direct it more yourself and if you discover a significant DISinterest once you get going, you can stop? 

Not all who wander are lost.
#5 of 5 Old 04-21-2011, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Perfect, I found the book at my library and put it on hold. Thanks! 

I think I'll take your suggestions and do some cobbling with online stuff and discussion. Thanks again. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page