Casting for the Hunger Games movie - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 04-04-2011, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

There was a thread like this about the Sookie Stackhouse novels, so I thought it would be interesting to do one on the Hunger Games trilogy.  Some of the casting choices have been announced recently.  http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/04/04/josh-hutcherson-liam-hemsworth-hunger-games/

So Jennifer Lawrence is playing Katniss, Josh Hutcherson is playing Peeta and Liam Hemsworth is playing Gale.  In those comments, I saw someone say that she was hoping for Saoirse Ronan, Hailee Steinfeld or Kaya Scodelario.  People seem upset about the casting of Peeta and Gale.  Really, movies are never going to be cast just the way we see it, but I think some movies have been ruined by odd casting choices.  

So...any opinions?

#2 of 19 Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

No opinions, because I don't know who any of those people are  lol.gif. I am so out-of-touch with popular culture eyesroll.gif . 

I usually have low expectation for movies-from-books, but I am hoping that they do a fairly good job with this series. I think it should lend itself well to a screen adaptation, because the Hunger Games themselves are rooted in the whole reality-tv genre.  

#3 of 19 Old 04-05-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

I've seen the kid who is going to play Peeta.  He was in Bridge to Terabithia and some more recent stuff.  I don't know the others.  Someone on facebook said that they cast Pamela Anderson for Katniss, and that made me laugh.  But, really, I'm sure it will be fine.  I hope they are costumed and made up to look like they were described, more or less, in the books.   

#4 of 19 Old 04-05-2011, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow! I think they both would be perfect in the OPPOSITE roles...go figure! I would be worried about Jennifer Lawrence because of her coloring and body type if I hadn't loved her so much in Winter's Bone. I have read that Suzanne Collins is very hands on with this so I am hoping for the best. 

~traci

~Traci, wife to DH 4-88. Mom to 3 homebirthed sons, 22,20&17

The Blue Door Farmhouse & traci.mymomentis.biz

#5 of 19 Old 04-05-2011, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

That seemed to be the prevailing opinion, that the actors that play Peeta and Gale should be switched.  I don't know anything about Liam Hemsworth, but the little I know of Josh Hutcherson makes it seem like he has a kind of sensitivity that would be good for Peeta.  But physically, yes, he looks more like I pictured Gale to look.

In the comments section of the EW story, someone suggested Saoirse Ronan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Saoirse_Ronan_cropped.jpg or Kaya Scoledario: http://mimg.ugo.com/201010/61870/kaya-scodelario-003.jpg  But I think I can see Jennifer Lawrence just as easily.  I don't really know how I pictured them--the only one of the three I have a strong visual image of is Peeta.  Of course, there are so many other casting choices, like Haymitch, Cinna, Finnick (OK, he's not in the first book, but, you know) pretty much everyone else.  lol.gif

#6 of 19 Old 04-06-2011, 04:30 PM

I was still hoping for Liam Neeson as Haymitch. Robert Downey Jr just doesn't have the build that I envisioned...... though he does play the role well.
#7 of 19 Old 04-06-2011, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Wait, did Robert Downy jr. get picked?  

#8 of 19 Old 04-06-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

Wait, did Robert Downy jr. get picked?  

I heard that rumor but who knows?
#9 of 19 Old 04-07-2011, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

I saw him mentioned, and I could see him.  For some reason I picture Haymitch as being kind of short and stocky, not sure if he was or not.  But I picture it kind of like the difference of young hot Elvis and fat jumpsuit Elvis.  He's falling down drunk and all that, but at some point he must have had skills, and then later you get to read about him being younger.  So I think Robert Downey Jr. would definitely have the dissolute part down.  lol.gif

#10 of 19 Old 04-15-2011, 09:37 PM

I loved these books and knew they would make a great book. My first thought was that the two boys should be switched too. I am looking forward to these movies!

#11 of 19 Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 AM

I LOVED the books.  In fact, I got a whole bunch of my girlfriends to read them.

I am always disappointed in movie adaptations. The only exception might be Harry Potter.

I am seriously considering not seeing the movie.  But curiosity might win out...

(Personally, I think all of the casting is a bit off, but who knows?)

#12 of 19 Old 05-01-2011, 12:08 PM

The Hunger Games people are doing a great job at keeping the casting up to date on their facebook page, for those of you who might want to follow it there.  So far they've cast District 1 (Marvel and Glimmer), 3, 4, 5 (Foxface), and 11 (Thresh and Rue).  They've also cast Ms. Everdeen and Primrose and Effie (Elizabeth Banks).

John C. Reilly is the rumored Haymitch now.  I don't know how I feel about that, although I do think it would be a pretty good physical match.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#13 of 19 Old 05-10-2011, 08:52 PM

Just announced! Woody Harrelson has been cast as Haymitch Abernathy in The Hunger Games!

#14 of 19 Old 05-14-2011, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

I was just on IMDb and saw Woody Harrelson. I can picture that. The girl who plays Primrose looks pretty good for the role.  I just saw that Josh Hutcherson was in the remake of Red Dawn with Chris Hemsworth, who I'm guessing is Liam Hemsworth's brother.

#15 of 19 Old 05-23-2011, 09:22 PM

.Lenny Kravitz will be playing the role of Cinna in The Hunger Games! not really what i pictured at all but i think i like it

#16 of 19 Old 05-23-2011, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting.  Although I think I saw him as younger (than I am), but I think Lenny Kravitz could work well.

#17 of 19 Old 05-24-2011, 05:04 AM

Looks like the casting is done. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392170/
#18 of 19 Old 05-24-2011, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, looks pretty good. :)  Wait, no.  The guy rumored to play Seneca Crane?  Way too young, no way.  Seneca Crane should not only be older than I am, but should be way older than I am.  He should be older than Haymitch, right?  I mean wasn't he in there for a loooooong time, or am I confusing him with someone else?

#19 of 19 Old 05-24-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

Hmmm, looks pretty good. :)  Wait, no.  The guy rumored to play Seneca Crane?  Way too young, no way.  Seneca Crane should not only be older than I am, but should be way older than I am.  He should be older than Haymitch, right?  I mean wasn't he in there for a loooooong time, or am I confusing him with someone else?

he was old but looks young because of all the plastic surgery and stuff they do in the capital.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page