What books inspire you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-05-2011, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm curious to see the books that have touched people's lives - this could be a novel that gave you a different outlook on the world, something that made you laugh, or a nonfiction book that inspired you to change your life.  I know my husband and I really liked the book Simplicity Parenting, and now we're trying to declutter, simplify and create the kind of environment that will allow our boys to flourish.

What books have had an impact on your life?

Baby on my hip, preschooler on my lap, kindergartener climbing my back, bird on my shoulder, dog at my feet, DH holding us all together.  love.gif

stork-suprise.gif arriving Jun 2014

#2 of 10 Old 05-05-2011, 08:10 AM
AAK

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

At various times in my life, books have really helped with me perspective.  Sometimes I will reread one that had a huge impact on me in high school and I won't be 'moved' anymore, but the book obviously had something to do with my way of thinking now.  Here are a few books that I still think about occassionally--even if I read them 20 years ago.

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Chosen

Marjorie Morningstar

The Once and Future King

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (and sequels)

Square Foot Gardening

The Baby Book

Tightwad Gazette

I am sure there are more.  Maybe I will add some later.  It is hard to differenciate between "book I really loved" and "book that made an impact/inspired me".

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 10 Old 05-05-2011, 10:11 AM

Possession by A.S. Byatt

Beloved by Toni Morrison

Sassafrass, Cypress, and Indigo by Ntozake Shange

The Secret Garden by Francis Hodgson Burnett

Fool's Run by Patricia McKillip

Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver

#4 of 10 Old 05-06-2011, 08:40 PM

One book that has inspired me is called "Messenger: The Legacy of Mattie J,T. Stepanek and Heartsongs", by. Jeni Stepanek.  Its about the life of Mattie Stepanek, a boy who had a very rare form of muscular distrophy and his mission to make the world a better place.  He had a unique life in that his older siblings (his mom had 4 kids with the same disorder) died before the age of 4, and that his mom didn't know she was passing some horrible disease to her children until she was diagnosed with the adult form of the disorder.  Jeni talks about Matties struggle to live when she was an infant, how he dealt with his brother Jamie's passing (the only sibling he ever knew) by writing poetry, and how he worked hard to spread his message of peace and love to everyone.  He dealt with numerous medical issues like not being able to walk without feeling like he was suffocating (he eventually had to use a power chair to get around), he had a traceotomy, and even had to have other painful medical procedures performed without anesthesia, due to his disorder.  His mom talks about how he used faith to get him through all of the hard times.

Mattie has met with Jimmy Carter, Oprah, and other advocates of peacemaking before he died in 2004 of congestive heart failure.  He wrote several book of poetry that were published, according to one part of the book. 

It was a wonderful book and I have read it twice to give me inspiration and even bought the audiobook recently to listen to whenever I feel like I need something positive feelings in my life.   I feel that everyone should read this book, because it is such a wonderful book!

Jessie

#5 of 10 Old 05-08-2011, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Good question!

Bible

Free Land-Rose Lane Wilder.   Something about the book touch me. Maybe it is the way that they had a part in each others lives?

#6 of 10 Old 05-08-2011, 06:57 PM

Shantaram

If This is a Man

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Being and Nothingness

The Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment

The Structure of Scientific Revolutions

Guns, Germs, and Steel

The Omnivore's Dilemma

Holy Days

Emotional Intelligence

Stone Butch Blues

And so many more!  I should really keep a running list titled "books that have changed my life"... or something like that...

#7 of 10 Old 05-10-2011, 12:45 PM

Personal History by Katharine Grahm  - What amazed me about this book was how honest she was about her struggles and challenges.  She was raised in a wealthy family and married a man with a rather serious mental illness which eventually nearly brings down her family business.  There is a chapter in the book about how during a union strike, the strikers lit the plant machinery on fire and she walked through the picket lines thinking there was a very real chance they would beat her to death.  (a female employee as well as several men were already severely beaten)  This happened in the 70s, women just didn't do that sort of thing back then.  I have re-read that chapter many times when I was feeling down.

Nickeled and Dimed by Barbara Einreicht.  (I hope I spelled her last night right)  It openned my eyes to a level of working poor that I didn't know existed.  It completely changed the way I view things.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#8 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 07:39 PM

I recently read How to be a Famous Writer Before You're Dead by Ariel Gore, and I found it to be very inspiring.

Librarian, Blogger, Book Reviewer, Mama
#9 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.  I think I will have to take a trip to the library very soon.  And then find the time to read.  winky.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post

Free Land-Rose Lane Wilder.   Something about the book touch me. Maybe it is the way that they had a part in each others lives?

Free Land sounds very interesting - especially since my sisters and I have read the Laura Ingalls Wilder series many times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebackpacks View Post

Shantaram

If This is a Man

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Being and Nothingness

The Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment

The Structure of Scientific Revolutions

Guns, Germs, and Steel

The Omnivore's Dilemma

Holy Days

Emotional Intelligence

Stone Butch Blues

And so many more!  I should really keep a running list titled "books that have changed my life"... or something like that...

I'm definitely going to find Omnivore's Dilemma at the library this weekend.  I loved In Defense of Food - especially his discussion on wheat as DS1 has a wheat allergy, and neither my husband nor I seem to have any sensitivity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAK View Post

At various times in my life, books have really helped with me perspective.  Sometimes I will reread one that had a huge impact on me in high school and I won't be 'moved' anymore, but the book obviously had something to do with my way of thinking now.  Here are a few books that I still think about occassionally--even if I read them 20 years ago.

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Chosen

Marjorie Morningstar

The Once and Future King

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (and sequels)

Square Foot Gardening

The Baby Book

Tightwad Gazette

I am sure there are more.  Maybe I will add some later.  It is hard to differenciate between "book I really loved" and "book that made an impact/inspired me".

Amy

Have you tried the methods in Square Foot Gardening?  Did you ever read One Magic Square and if you did, how did it compare?

Baby on my hip, preschooler on my lap, kindergartener climbing my back, bird on my shoulder, dog at my feet, DH holding us all together.  love.gif

stork-suprise.gif arriving Jun 2014

#10 of 10 Old 06-19-2011, 11:09 AM

Anything Rumi poetry-wise, I like the translations by Coleman Barks best.

19 Minutes

Change of Heart

The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses

The Rainbabies

The Little Prince

I'll Always Love You

To Kill A Mockingbird

Roll of thunder Hear My Cry

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page