The Other Parent - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-16-2002, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone else read this? I just started it and already am appalled. It's about how Big Business impacts children's programming on TV. What it had to say about teletubbies alone was a real eye-opener.
#2 of 7 Old 05-19-2002, 01:29 AM

I haven't read it but would like to.

Who is the author?

Thanks
#3 of 7 Old 05-20-2002, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

The author is James Steyer. Sorry it took so long to reply--I haven't been on the board in a few days.
#4 of 7 Old 05-20-2002, 11:39 PM

Thanks! I'm going to see if I can get a copy from the library.
#5 of 7 Old 05-21-2002, 03:33 AM

Jempd -

It's a sad fact of life that I'm never going to read this book (too many others in line, too little time ) so would you be able to summarize a little?

And I'm particularly interested in the "Teletubbies" question ... and just wish we had a "snarl" smilie to go after that word ...

- Amy
#6 of 7 Old 05-21-2002, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Sure. It's the kind of thing I love to do.

Basically, it's about how specific laws and orgs. like the FCC that are supposed to protect children from being gone after by marketers likes ducks on junebugs have been totally sold out by politicians in order to get campaign dollars etc. It's an expose, really. The author runs and founded an org. called Children Now, an advocacy and media company.

(reading from the flap copy) It is a powerful and provacative book about the media's incredible impact on our families and our society.

It includes a lot of disturbing info on how violence does affect small kids, as well as playing computer games too much. About those computer games, I didin't know much about them but Doom and Quake sound awful. The author's worked in media for a long time and it's a real insider view, naming specific names of heads of networks and so on. He ties it directly to campaign cash and politics, 'it' being basically the selling of kids as consumers, a market. That's how they're viewed, nothing more or less. And the thing about teletubbies was that one-year-olds are viewed as an exploitable market. ONE YEAR OLDS!!!!!! I haven't read the whole book, but what was especially disturbing to me, is that these marketers have realized that sex and violence sells--to kids as well as to adults. I realize that this is kind of disjointed, trying to respond as I flip through the book and to my impressions. I do think it is a worthwhile read. It's made me question owning a TV (and I'm addicted to HBO.)
#7 of 7 Old 05-21-2002, 07:30 PM

Did you see the author on Oprah yesterday? I thought that was so strange that they were talking about this book right after I had ask you who the author was.

Very interesting and disturbing. I have a 7 year old and I can see the effect tv has on her. That is why I have severely cut out a lot. After seeing Mr. Steyer on Oprah I'm tempted to throw the tv out in the garbage!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page