Sooooo excited for Harry Potter 7 part 2!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-15-2011, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm going to buy tickets for the midnight showing of the finale in 3d. I'm so excited!!!!! I'd hoped to find a double feature locally but so far no one is showing one so we'll have to create one with one of my friends copy of part 1. I'm guessing that we'll watch it in line on a portable dvd player!! Any other nuts out there??!?!?!

#2 of 21 Old 06-16-2011, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Yes indeed!  biggrinbounce.gif  The kids and I will be going to a huge Girl Scout midnight premire event, taking up two whole theaters. There are costume contests and trivia contests. We did this for DH1 and it was great fun. 

As much as the HP movies have disappointed me, I'm still excited and I'm going to be very sad when the movie ends. That'll be IT, the end of an era.  mecry.gif

Edited to add, there is the first Hobbit movie to look forward to.  It comes out in December!  carrot.gif  Of 2012.  irked.gif

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#3 of 21 Old 06-16-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like a blast! The last time there were some fun teenagers dressed up - my particular favorite was the hooded gold body suit for the snitch- but there was nothing fun officially set up, other than the fun of being with a bunch of Potter fans! I've found that I love midnight movies. My kids are asleep and my dh is home with them and no one even misses me, so I feel no guilt for leaving them at all. The next day I'm a little groggy but it seems a small price to pay for so much fun in this middle-aged life!

journeymom likes this.
#4 of 21 Old 06-18-2011, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I can't wait to see the last Harry Potter movie. This has been a rough spring and start to summer and I am ready for a good escape for a couple of hours!

#5 of 21 Old 06-20-2011, 08:54 AM

I am especially dying to see (warning:  don't read the following if you are one of the few who hasn't read the books LOL:

- how they handle Snapes last memories to Harry

- in the forest when Harry activates the Resurrection Stone

- Harry's moments with Dumbledore (the "Kings Cross" chapter)

- the triumphant moment right after Voldemort is destroyed

I do hope they don't cut out Mrs. Weasley's line to Bellatrix (not sure if Mothering.com would allow me to quote it here LOL)

#6 of 21 Old 07-07-2011, 06:50 PM

I'm pretty excited about it. I hope I cry during the last movie. Seriously. I want it to be THAT GOOD! I'm so sad over it ending. It has become a tradition to watch the movies in theatre (starting with POA) with my 3 sisters and whoever else wants to go along (DH is refusing to see Deathly Hallows!). Even as we've all grown up and moved away we still get back together for it. My life feels so empty without a book/movie series to wait for.... 

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#7 of 21 Old 07-11-2011, 11:45 AM

Interesting essay about Harry Potter and Christian theology:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/danielle-tumminio/harry-potter-christian-theology_b_892499.html

#8 of 21 Old 07-11-2011, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

DD is in New York city this week on a summer school trip. Before she left, she was trying to figure out if she could sneak away to see the red carpet etc. We had a good stern conversation about that, lol!!

She e-mailed today to let us know that they are all going to the premiere tonight - the organizers arranged it somehow. I'm not sure how they managed it, and I suspect it's probably a different showing than the bells-and-whistles premiere with the celebrities, but she is over-the-moon excited. And I'm more than a little jealous!  

#9 of 21 Old 07-12-2011, 09:49 AM

What fun! Ollyoxenfree, how old is your daughter?  My 16 y.o. daughter said she feels like this movie brings the end of part of her childhood. 

#10 of 21 Old 07-12-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

What fun! Ollyoxenfree, how old is your daughter?  My 16 y.o. daughter said she feels like this movie brings the end of part of her childhood. 

She's 15. I've been waiting all day to hear whether they actually went to see it. It all sounds too good to be true, so I won't believe it until she's confirmed it. This program keeps them pretty busy (it's a Civics course and they've been touring the UN, participating in debates etc.), so I imagine she hasn't had a chance to e-mail again.

She is a huge HP fan and has been begging to go to the theme park in Florida for her 16th birthday. It's funny, because I remember her being a little reluctant to start the series at first. I think of HP as her older brother's thing (DS is 18 now).  He had finished at least 3 or 4 of the books before she started reading them. I remember reading the first book to him when he was about 6 and he graduated from high school this year. So it definitely seems to close out part of childhood for my kids.

#11 of 21 Old 07-13-2011, 08:05 AM

I finally got the whole story. She saw the actors arriving and the red carpet circus, but hasn't seen the film yet. She got Tom Felton's autograph. It's the kind of celeb watching stuff that I don't encourage, but she's a huge fan of the books and films and very happy about the experience, so I'm not going to rain on her parade. 

Earlier on the trip, one of the teacher/guides heard some of the students, DD included, talking about the HP premiere. He told them to figure out the times, location, travel plan from the hotel etc. and if they could squeeze it in, he would supervise them so they could watch the red carpet festivities (there were little speeches from the actors etc.). It fit in nicely between their afternoon activities and attending a live performance later that evening (Fuerza Bruta - which she said was amazing!!) 

#12 of 21 Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 AM

That's fantastic!   And how cool to get Tom Felton's signature.  He comes across as a truly nice guy, pretty out-going and level-headed.

OK, I looked up Fuerza Bruta, and wow, that looks like an amazing show!

#13 of 21 Old 07-14-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:

That's fantastic!   And how cool to get Tom Felton's signature.  He comes across as a truly nice guy, pretty out-going and level-headed.

OK, I looked up Fuerza Bruta, and wow, that looks like an amazing show!

Yes, he seems like a truly nice guy. DD says Felton was the only actor who took the time and trouble to cross the red carpet to where her group was standing. They were slightly out of the way. The other actors took a more direct route down the carpet. I know his extra effort made the event even more special for her and her friends.  

#14 of 21 Old 07-14-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:

Interesting essay about Harry Potter and Christian theology:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/danielle-tumminio/harry-potter-christian-theology_b_892499.html

Thanks for posting this. 

I meant to read this earlier, but somehow overlooked it until getting to it last night. It's fascinating, and I love how it reflects some of the ideas in a conversation in a previous thread in this forum. 

I'd love to audit that course! 

#15 of 21 Old 07-14-2011, 02:43 PM

I'm ready! joy.gif We don't have a midnight viewing (not sure if I'd make it to it even if we did!) but we have our tickets for the first viewing tomorrow. I bought them online so that we can skip the lineup. 

#16 of 21 Old 07-14-2011, 03:39 PM

dust.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifgoodvibes.gifjumpers.gif

We're getting ready to go!!

#17 of 21 Old 07-15-2011, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

ollyoxenfree: That's awesome that your daughter got to go to the premiere! I went to the Return of the King premiere in Wellington in 2003 (lining the sidewalk like your DD I mean, not attending), and it was an awesome experience. I'm not generally a celebrity-watcher, but I was a huge fan of LOTR, and it felt like I was part of history... And it IS history, being there when an important piece of pop culture is released! I always thought if I had a time machine, the first thing I'd do is travel to 1977 and see Star Wars in some random cinema with the first audience. :) Movies define eras - it's like watching a royal wedding or a coronation, or "where were you during the moon landing". She can remember it for the rest of her life, and it'll symbolise the year she was 15, and, well, that's cool. I'm glad she got to go. :)

OK, rambling. :p

I'm going to see HP on Monday. Very much looking forward to it, although a bit nervous, because I'll be leaving my baby behind! I considered taking him, but while he's a pretty good baby, he's not reliably silent, and our theatres don't have crybaby sessions for the first few weeks. And I'm not willing to wait a month to see it! So I'm going to pump some milk, breastfeed him like mad before I go, leave him with DH and attend a session in the early afternoon, when he usually has a long sleep. I wouldn't have dreamed of doing that with DD, but DS is much more chilled... I suspect he'll be fine. I do need to express some milk today, though, so we can see if he'll take a bottle!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#18 of 21 Old 07-15-2011, 05:15 PM

I saw it, it was fantastic, I cried. It was very moving. It didn't stay true to the book, but they got the important things right (except it seemed like Luna and Dean ended up together in the book but in the movie they made it look like Luna liked Neville). I don't go to the movies that often (HP is the exception) and I NEVER see a movie twice in theatre... but I think I'll go back for this. Just for fun. 

#19 of 21 Old 07-16-2011, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Luna and Dean? I never got that vibe. I know JK Rowling has said that Luna eventually married, later in life, but it wasn't to anyone we know from the Harry Potter canon. Still, I guess that doesn't preclude a teenage romance with Dean...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#20 of 21 Old 07-18-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Luna and Dean? I never got that vibe. I know JK Rowling has said that Luna eventually married, later in life, but it wasn't to anyone we know from the Harry Potter canon. Still, I guess that doesn't preclude a teenage romance with Dean...

Well they seemed to get a little close while hanging out at Shell Cottage together. I can't remember specifics, but between that and him being protective of her at the big showdown at Hogwarts, I just assumed there was something going on there. 

#21 of 21 Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

ollyoxenfree: That's awesome that your daughter got to go to the premiere! I went to the Return of the King premiere in Wellington in 2003 (lining the sidewalk like your DD I mean, not attending), and it was an awesome experience. I'm not generally a celebrity-watcher, but I was a huge fan of LOTR, and it felt like I was part of history... And it IS history, being there when an important piece of pop culture is released! I always thought if I had a time machine, the first thing I'd do is travel to 1977 and see Star Wars in some random cinema with the first audience. :) Movies define eras - it's like watching a royal wedding or a coronation, or "where were you during the moon landing". She can remember it for the rest of her life, and it'll symbolise the year she was 15, and, well, that's cool. I'm glad she got to go. :)

OK, rambling. :p

I'm going to see HP on Monday. Very much looking forward to it, although a bit nervous, because I'll be leaving my baby behind! I considered taking him, but while he's a pretty good baby, he's not reliably silent, and our theatres don't have crybaby sessions for the first few weeks. And I'm not willing to wait a month to see it! So I'm going to pump some milk, breastfeed him like mad before I go, leave him with DH and attend a session in the early afternoon, when he usually has a long sleep. I wouldn't have dreamed of doing that with DD, but DS is much more chilled... I suspect he'll be fine. I do need to express some milk today, though, so we can see if he'll take a bottle!

An LOTR premier would be amazing!! A few years ago, we traveled through NZ (check out my avatar - it's DD at the Moeraki Boulders!) and we loved pointing out all the LOTR (and Wolverine) scenery to each other. I'd move to NZ in a heartbeat if I had the chance.  What a gorgeous country and what truly great people. I loved the sense of community everywhere we visited.  

Funny about Star Wars. I was in one of those early audiences in 1977 and I've tried to explain to my kids that we thought it was going to be "just" another movie - no big deal. Until that first screen shot of the Imperial starship that went on and on and on and on.... And by the time we walked out of the theatre, it was a huge phenomenon. 

I hope your DS settles and has a nice long nap while you enjoy the movie smile.gif . 

We are all going tonight as a family event. I was waiting for the kids to get back home. DD is home from her trip and DS is here for a couple of days before he goes back to his job at a residential summer camp. I've been hearing great things (but keeping my hands over my ears when someone tries to talk about details - la, la, la, la, can't hear you!!) and I'm looking forward to it!! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page