Piano players...digital or acoustic piano? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-19-2011, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After years of having a keyboard, I am finally getting a piano! joy.gif

Which would you recommend? Digital or acoustic? I'm sort of thinking digital (for ease of moving, but we do live in a house so it's not like we have to move it up flights of stairs or anything) and I do like the volume control aspect of digital. But I also like the feel and sound of acoustic so I'm not sure what to do.

#2 of 4 Old 06-19-2011, 09:11 AM
AAK

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

We like our Rowan digital.  But, I am not a concert pianist or anything.  :)

We like it because it never needs tuning, is easy to move, can adjust the volume, can use headphones (this was a big plus when we still had napping babies), and the kids love that there are preprogramed songs on it.  They have been exposed to a lot of classical music this way.  They love to turn on one of the songs and create a dance for it.  

However, to be honest, the biggest reason we bought the Rowan was cost.  The second was the "never needed tuning".  We were having a hard time finding a quality used piano that was affordable.  New uprights were expensive too.  Our piano teacher helped us pick it out.  It has weighted keys, pedals, etc.

Amy

Whoops, I believe it is spelled Roland

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 4 Old 06-19-2011, 09:15 AM

I have a Casio digital and I really like it. It has the full 88 keys, and they're weighted and don't feel plasticy. The sound is quite good. An acoustic piano was never an option given the amount of space available, but I'm quite satisfied with this one.

But if you have room for an acoustic and can afford a good one, I'd definitely consider it! Hit up a piano store and start noodling around... see what appeals.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#4 of 4 Old 06-23-2011, 03:03 PM

My daughter and I are both beginners (have been studying for less than 1.5 years). I have a Yamaha digital.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalpianos/arius_series/ydp-140/?mode=model
It has 88 weighted keys, really nice sound. We got a digital piano because we simply could not fit an acoustic piano up the stairs into our top floor apartment: there was no way it could be done.

We've since moved to a house where we could easily bring in a piano, but our living room is so small that it really doesn't make sense to change what we have for a real piano. Perhaps some day if one of us gets quite serious about advanced studying.

Our teacher is a concert pianist, and he says that the digital piano will be just fine for us for quite awhile.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page