Pottermore...? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-23-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

www.pottermore.com

Anyone manage to send in their email address before the site got bogged down? 

Are you excited about this? 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#2 of 5 Old 06-23-2011, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm gradually understanding more.  Apparently she's finally making HP available in e-book form, but not through Amazon or Barnes & Noble, but through this web site. 

This from Leaky Cauldron:

•Pottermore is an interactive new Web site and reading experience with more than 18,000 new words from J.K. Rowling: Much more to come.
•JKR behind the scenes filming the video picture.
•An online experience to read, interact with and share the Harry Potter stories. Exclusive writing from J.K. Rowling and more.
•Pottermore will feature infromation J.K. Rowling has been "hoarding" for years about Harry Potter.
•Pottermore will be the exclusive place to purchase the digital audio books and, at last, eBooks of the Harry Potter series.
•Pottermore was developed in association with the leading digital company, @th_nktweets
•Pottermore was also created in partnership with @sony!
•One million fans will get access to a beta on July 31, Harry's birthday. It will be open for all in October 2011.
•The launch of Pottermore will have more than 18,000 words from J.K. Rowling, but that is only a third of what she has written so far.
•J.K. Rowling said this morning that there is a lot more content to come for the Pottermore site, and she will develop it as it grows.
•This morning J.K. Rowling said that she and Harry have a "casual relationship," instead of the serious kind they once had.
•"I've never cried over a man as much as I've cried over Harry." - JKR
•The idea came from a conv. with her agent about how to help Harry live on in today's digital age.
•JKR downloaded eBooks for the 1st time this year and loved it - "a thousand books in your pocket" - tho she loves paper.
•You will follow the story, get sorted into a house and get a wand (one of 33,000 possible combinations) - all crafted by JKR.
JKR is excited to include a long backstory on McGonagall - her childhood, ministry career, early heartbreak...  love.gif
•A lot of the Pottermore team is Hufflepuff, which JKR said is what "you want in a team - they're workers!"
•JKR said if you're not sorted into Gryffindor you get even more exclusive content about your house.
•Chamber of Secrets story to debut in 2012.
•Also shown this morning, there will be info on Minerva McGonagall's long friendship with Dumbledore
•A lot of the Pottermore team is Hufflepuff, which JKR said is what "you want in a team - they're workers!"
•A physical encyclopedia may come one day, JKR said, but she is not positive.
•Also mentioned that Vernon ad Petunia met at work, backstory also on Pottermore.
•JKR on Pottermore: "I've worked with the most incredible team at TH_NK to make it come alive."

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#3 of 5 Old 06-23-2011, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD woke up today before 7 a.m., on the first day of her summer vacation (her last exam was yesterday) to go onto the Pottermore website.  She went back to bed about 5 minutes later, a little disappointed that it was only another teaser announcement. She is excited though, at the possibilities. 

I'm intrigued by the promise of the "extra" stuff that JKR has been holding on to until now. I figure it must be the background information about characters and the muggle and wizarding worlds that she created before and while she was writing the books. Somewhere I read that she had a file cabinet (or computer equivalent) of characters that she created to draw on as she wrote. Having e-books will be nice for anyone wanting to do quick searches if you have a question or you are trying to remember something you know you read about (like the mention of a locket!). 

#4 of 5 Old 06-24-2011, 09:54 PM

Looking at the list, that actually looks good.

I was disappointed that, as a PP mentioned, it was really just more "teasing" than an actual release.  I was also hopeful it would be a MMORPG which I thought my kids would really enjoy.

Well, we'll see!

#5 of 5 Old 07-07-2011, 06:44 PM

I think the idea is interesting but it feels a little like she's trying to get every last penny available and trying to keep the hype up and the Harry Potter world alive. I would prefer she do that through writing new stories....

But yes, I entered my email. wink1.gif

Blogging about renovations in our first home

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page