July 2011 Book Challenge - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 07-24-2011, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I checked out the How I Killed Pluto book and have started reading it - it is very good!  I read a bunch of books in the last couple of  weeks - reviews are in my blog - http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/   

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother was interesting, and so was The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating.  I loved Rashi's Daughters book 1 Joheved and am sad that our library does not have the other two.  I was not overly impressed with Slaughter-House-Five and I Am LegendRoom: A Novel is interesting and well written, but creepy topic.  And I liked Troubletwisters - young adult type fiction for 4th through 8th grade age.  I also read the Yggyssey by Daniel Pinkwater. 

Igraine likes this.
#32 of 39 Old 07-24-2011, 12:39 PM

Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/tanya-huff/enchantment-emporium.htm

While I did enjoy it, I am somewhat let down by this book.   There were some aspects of it I really, really liked, but other things bothered me a lot.

What I liked was the overall quirkiness of the story, the eccentric and likeable characters, and the fact that there is much less violence than there usually is in what is now categorized as Urban Fantasy. Only one characters dies, a very evil one, and even the description of his death is not graphic. The same goes for the sex, and there is a lot of it in the book, but it's insinuated rather than described in detail. At the same time all the insinuation in this book is what made me enjoy it less. So many things are only suggested and not described at all, for example the leading character is from a large matriarchal family of witches, but the word “witch” is never actually used. It is suggested they can draw charms, do spells, only good ones, but there is little explanation in regards to their magic.  For me to get into a fantasy story it is necessary to have some kind of explanation, but there is none in this book. Another thing that is suggested is that the young ones in the family get together at rituals and have sex until the women “chose “ the one they want to marry. What I found a bit creepy was that the sex that takes place is between cousins.   I often found the writing to be confusing. There are too many characters. I felt like I was reading the second or third book of a series where it is already assumed you know about the universe in which the story takes place.   

Nevertheless I probably will still read the second book in this series when it comes out.

Oh, and a word of warning, all the women in this novel are constantly baking pies and I found myself craving pie the entire time I read it, just like I craved cinnamon rolls after reading Robin McKinney’s “Sunshine”.

#33 of 39 Old 07-24-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmomof3 View Post
I was not overly impressed with ... I Am Legend

I am a big fan of Richard Matheson, but I will be the first to admit that a lot of his stories (Legend included) have not aged all that well.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#34 of 39 Old 07-25-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post

I really liked it -- the author is funny -- as you can see from the title -- and does an excellent job of mixing the entire Pluto controversy with what was happening in his personal life at the time.  I felt like I learned a lot more about the world of astronomy and how it works and have a better handle on what exactly was involved with the Pluto decision.

91. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente
92.Flip by Martyn Bedford
93.Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire
94.The September Society by Charles Finch

Hmmm, sounds good!  I think I'll add it to my list biggrinbounce.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke View Post

The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth

Entertaining yet informative book regarding high school popularity, and why those who are "unpopular" in high school are often better adjusted as adults. 

Doc, Mary Doria Russell

I picked this up because of how much I enjoyed The Sparrow, and I'm so glad I did.  The book follows the life of Doc Holliday from his early years until basically the time he leaves for Tombstone (it doesn't talk about the shooting at Tombstone itself).  Holliday and Earp are both portrayed as such interesting characters, and Russell's writing is gorgeous as always.

I LOVE Mary Doria Russell.  This one's already on my list.  I'm super intrigued by that time period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmomof3 View Post

I checked out the How I Killed Pluto book and have started reading it - it is very good!  I read a bunch of books in the last couple of  weeks - reviews are in my blog - http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/   

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother was interesting, and so was The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating.  I loved Rashi's Daughters book 1 Joheved and am sad that our library does not have the other two.  I was not overly impressed with Slaughter-House-Five and I Am LegendRoom: A Novel is interesting and well written, but creepy topic.  And I liked Troubletwisters - young adult type fiction for 4th through 8th grade age.  I also read the Yggyssey by Daniel Pinkwater. 

I'll be honest, I didn't really like Slaughter House Five either.  I felt like I should b/c Kurt Vonnegut you know?  But I didn't.  I liked I Am Legend though.  Can't wait to read Room.  Seems like everyone has read it!

I'm slogging through The Known World by Edward Jones.  He has an interesting, non-linear, storytelling style, and while I can appreciate that, I feel like it's taking a long time to get anywhere.  Plus, I really wanna read The Girl Who Played With Fire, which is just sitting there beckoning from my nightstand.lol.gif

#35 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 07:56 AM

22 Brittania Road, Hodgkinson

Quote:

In her powerful debut, Hodgkinson takes on the tale of a family desperately trying to put itself back together after WWII. Silvana and Janusz have only been married a few months when the war forces them apart. Silvana and their infant son, Aurek, leave Poland and disappear into the forests of Eastern Europe, where they bear witness to German atrocities. Meanwhile Janusz, the sole survivor of his slaughtered military unit, flees to France. There, he takes up with a local girl and, though he loves her, awaits the war's end so that he can go in search of his wife and son. He eventually finds them in a refugee camp and they travel to England together, where they attempt to put the past behind them. But the secrets they carry pull at the threads of their fragile peace. Hodgkinson alternates viewpoints to relay the story of three desperate characters, skillfully toggling between the war and its aftermath with wonderfully descriptive prose that pulls the reader into a sweeping tale of survival and redemption.

Moving and well-written story of survival during war-time, and what is required to forgive and move forward.

#36 of 39 Old 07-31-2011, 08:14 AM

A Discovery of Witches, Harkness

Quote:

It all begins with a lost manuscript, a reluctant witch, and 1,500-year-old vampire. Dr. Diana Bishop has a really good reason for refusing to do magic: she is a direct descendant of the first woman executed in the Salem Witch Trials, and her parents cautioned her be discreet about her talents before they were murdered, presumably for having "too much power." So it is purely by accident that Diana unlocks an enchanted long-lost manuscript (a book that all manner of supernatural creatures believe to hold the story of all origins and the secret of immortality) at the Bodleian Library at Oxford, and finds herself in a race to prevent an interspecies war. A sparkling debut written by a historian and self-proclaimed oenophile, A Discovery of Witches is heady mix of history and magic, mythology and love (cue the aforementioned vampire!), making for a luxurious, intoxicating, one-sitting read.

I found this interesting and enjoyable...a lot of reviewers seem to be relating it to Twilight, which I haven't read.

#37 of 39 Old 07-31-2011, 01:37 PM

I recently read Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson - here is my review - http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/2011/07/before-i-go-to-sleep-novel-by-s-j.html  and I could not put it down!  I highly recommend this book!

#38 of 39 Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

#39 of 39 Old 08-10-2011, 06:28 AM

95.Troubletwisters by Garth Nix and Sean Williams
96.One of Our Thursdays Is Missing by Jasper Fforde
97. The Memory Bank by Carolyn Coman and Rob Shepperson
98.Destiny Disrupted:  A History of the World through Islamic Eyes by Tamim Ansary

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page