Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, 2 **Yes of course there are spoilers** - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 82 Old 08-01-2011, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
I realize that Harry was growing up and moving on and whatnot, but Hagrid seemed to turn more and more into a big joke, and became less and less of a support person/mentor to Harry. I didn't feel it was handled very well, and sometimes it almost seemed as though Rowling had forgotten that Hagrid was ever important to Harry. Even in the Deathly Hallows books, where Harry obviously couldn't see or visit Hagrid, I felt he could have been included more on another basis (I mean, look how major a character Dumbledore was in the last book - and he was dead!). It just seemed like he went, too abruptly, from being a really major supporting character to occasional comic relief. It was even more obvious in the movies, because of the choices about what was cut and what wasn't, etc.

Heh - I feel similarly about Ron (in the movies). Seriously, his role in DH2 was practically a cameo...

I dunno; I'm not sure I can blame JKR for sidelining Hagrid a bit in the later books. I mean, no offense to the character, but how much of a mentor would he have been for a 16-year-old boy? He was kinda dim. :p I got the impression in the later books that Harry and the gang visited him out of kindness (and friendship, sure) rather than wanting advice or reveling in his wisdom. He just seems like the sort of figure who would have originally seemed a fount of knowledge (given that Harry didn't know squat about the wizarding world, and Hagrid was able to impart basic facts like "Galleons are money" and "Toads are lame, get an owl"); not to mention being cool because he was a (half-) giant and had a kind heart... but I can see Dumbledore and Lupin and so on would have been more on Harry's level as he grew up. But then, I never liked Hagrid as much as many fans seem to, so maybe I'm just being callous. (Just like I wasn't a huge Dobby or Hedwig fan, so I wasn't devastated when they died... in fact, I kept waiting for her to get on with it and kill someone really major, ie. Ron or Hermione, and when she didn't I felt she'd cheated a bit!)

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#62 of 82 Old 08-01-2011, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Heh - I feel similarly about Ron (in the movies). Seriously, his role in DH2 was practically a cameo...

I dunno; I'm not sure I can blame JKR for sidelining Hagrid a bit in the later books. I mean, no offense to the character, but how much of a mentor would he have been for a 16-year-old boy? He was kinda dim. :p I got the impression in the later books that Harry and the gang visited him out of kindness (and friendship, sure) rather than wanting advice or reveling in his wisdom. He just seems like the sort of figure who would have originally seemed a fount of knowledge (given that Harry didn't know squat about the wizarding world, and Hagrid was able to impart basic facts like "Galleons are money" and "Toads are lame, get an owl"); not to mention being cool because he was a (half-) giant and had a kind heart... but I can see Dumbledore and Lupin and so on would have been more on Harry's level as he grew up.

There's a lot of truth to this, but it's kind of what I mean. Hagrid wasn't the brightest bulb, and definitely screwed up sometimes. But, Rowling seemed to be playing him more and more for laughs, pretty much from the moment he became the Care of Magical Creatures teacher. I mean...Dumbledore trusted him (rightly so, as it happened) with the infant Harry - and even the older Harry, when he picked him up from the Dursley's. He was a member of the Order of the Phoenix. Yet, she portrayed him as barely being able to function at all. I just felt that she way overplayed the "big stupid oaf" thing. (I also felt that his whole tenure as Care of Magical Creature teacher, as it was portrayed in the books, made Dumbledore look like an idiot. Hagrid wasn't competent in the role, and there was no reason why he wouldn't be, except for stupid comic relief.)

But then, I never liked Hagrid as much as many fans seem to, so maybe I'm just being callous.

If you didn't like Hagrid, anyway, I can see why you wouldn't feel the same way about it. I don't think that's about being "callous", though.

(Just like I wasn't a huge Dobby or Hedwig fan, so I wasn't devastated when they died... in fact, I kept waiting for her to get on with it and kill someone really major, ie. Ron or Hermione, and when she didn't I felt she'd cheated a bit!)

I didn't really care about Hedwig, but it was obvious that Harry did, yk? I was sad, partly because of the way she died (one thing I think the movies did better!), but also because she'd been Harry's only friendly companion during all his horrible summers at the Dursley's, and then she was just...gone. Likewise, I didn't care much for Dobby's character. He was annoying. But, it made me sad that he was free, and went on to such a good life after being kicked around by the Malfoy's, and then just...died, almost by accident.

I didn't feel that she cheated at all. As dark as the books became, they were definitely a children's book series in the beginning (I've heard that Rowling always intended them to go in the direction that they did, but I honestly feel that she's overstating that, and/or just plain lying about it. I have several reason for that, but I'm getting way OT.) There was no way she was going to kill off any of the trio. I did wonder about Neville, Luna and a few others. But, even killing off Lupin, let alone Fred, was farther than I honestly thought she'd go. Lupin's death at least kind of fit a pattern, where Lily, James and their best friends were all dead, by the time Harry faced his ultimate challenge, but Fred surprised me. I didn't think she'd kill off any of the Weasleys, let alone one of the twins!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#63 of 82 Old 08-01-2011, 06:52 PM

The reason I thought she was going to kill off one of the trio - and I agree, that would've been pretty dark - is because I could have sworn she said in a fairly early interview (like, after maybe book 3 or 4?) that one of them would die. I haven't been able to find any evidence of it recently, though, so either I made it up, or she was referring to Harry's death (which doesn't exactly count, IMO!). But still, I had that impression... so I kept waiting for someone to die.

I must admit, when I watched the film I had the brief thought "Man, it'd be cool if Luna died". I LOVE Luna, she's my favourite character from the books, but it would have been sort of perfect, given how she portrays innocence and all. It would've had a real emotional whack. Still, I'm glad they didn't do it in the movie, because it wasn't done in the books... and can you imagine the fan outcry? :p

I wasn't too surprised a Weasley kid died. There were seven of them, and it seemed like a pretty good "not too easy, not too hard" death. I'm glad it was Fred, not Charlie or Percy - that would have seemed way too easy.

Funny how I'm critical of how many major characters survived in Deathly Hallows, but I can cope quite happily with all four hobbits and indeed practically the entire Fellowship surviving in LOTR! Then again, I know that was kinda related to Tolkien's wartime experiences, so I can forgive it... plus the ending was plenty bittersweet even without people dying.

#64 of 82 Old 08-05-2011, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

So I just got around to seeing the movie. 

Would like to go on record as saying that the book was way better!

I enjoyed the movie, but it was really rushed in the beginning I thought. When Hermione turned into Bellatrix they didn't even have a shot of her drinking the polyjuice potion and didn't mention anything about changing Ron's appearance unless I blinked and missed it. They showed the hair, but even just a 1 second shot of Hermione drinking something and making a face would have gone a long way toward giving all that some cohesiveness and less choppiness. I think they could have added an extra 5-10 minutes in the beginning of part 2 and really smoothed it out. It felt very choppy to me.

I also didn't like how it opened at all with the replay of Voldy stealing the elder wand from Dumbledore's tomb. There wasn't much of a build-up. It felt more like "here are scenes from last week's episode" and that made what was a dramatic scene in part 1 just like looking at slides of someone's vacation in part 2. I'm fine with repeating that and reminding people how part 1 ended, but give it some bang and style.

I don't know why they changed some of the things they changed. I was worried about Neville and Nagini in the end. I liked how Rowling wrote that better than the snake chasing Ron and Hermione.

And I totally didn't like the part about Ron and Hermione just TELLING Harry they were going to get basilisk fangs. Ugh. That ruined the tension that was there when Harry didn't know where Ron and Hermione were or what they were doing. Plus, the grey lady just TELLING Harry where the lost diadem was. Weak. 

Oh well, it was fun and for all my complaining I enjoyed it and am glad I went. It will be fun to see if in 20 or 30 years somebody makes a mini-series or anime out of it. Potter Clone Wars anyone?

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#65 of 82 Old 08-05-2011, 08:51 AM

Oh, Smokering, as far as characters dying I think I read an interview that she originally had Arthur Weasley dying, but in the end she couldn't do it and opted to off Fred instead.

journeymom likes this.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

#66 of 82 Old 08-05-2011, 09:15 AM

Oh, and one more thing — since all the movies are out now, finally, which is your favorite movie and why?

7 (parts 1 & 2) are the only ones I have seen in the theater. I never got into HP until the kids got old enough to start reading them on their own. Very sensitive kids so I didn't want to go there before they were ready. DD1 is still slogging through 4. She read 1-3 fairly quickly and then DH read them as bedtime stories to both girls and then, and only then, we rented the movies and watched them after the books had been read. The kids have not made it through book 4 yet, though, so I haven't ever seen those movies. (I could rent them and watch them by myself, but more fun with the kids). So, I've only seen 1, 2, 3, and 7 parts 1 & 2. I've read all the books on my own. Couldn't stop once I got started.

Of the movies, I actually think  I like 1 the best. It's got that whole "magical" feeling down and, although, the kids' acting is fairly rudimentary and it's got a Disneyfied feel to the whole thing, I thought it worked best and most cohesively as a movie — of the ones I've seen. I liked 2 also for much the same reasons, but it doesn't have the "wow" factor of the first moment you see Hogwarts. 3 was a disappointment. I'd like to see it again, but it just didn't gel the way the others did. I liked the book very much, though, so it was a big let down. One day, when the kids finish the other books I'll weigh in on 4, 5, and 6.

#67 of 82 Old 08-05-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beanma View Post

I don't know why they changed some of the things they changed. I was worried about Neville and Nagini in the end. I liked how Rowling wrote that better than the snake chasing Ron and Hermione.

And I totally didn't like the part about Ron and Hermione just TELLING Harry they were going to get basilisk fangs. Ugh. That ruined the tension that was there when Harry didn't know where Ron and Hermione were or what they were doing. Plus, the grey lady just TELLING Harry where the lost diadem was. Weak. 

Yes to all this. I was glad it was still Neville that killed Nagini, but the way they did it was really annoying. It also bugged me that Harry told Ron and Hermione to make sure the snake was killed. In the book, he said that to Neville and he did so deliberately, because he was trying to make sure there were more people to carry on after him. Telling Ron and Hermione, who were already in the know about the Horcruxes and fighting on another level than the rest of the wizarding world, just made no sense. I do seem to recall that they didn't know Nagini was a horcrux, and if I'm right, then it makes some sense, but telling Neville was more satisfying. In the book, Neville was making a deliberate strike at the snake, because he knew that the snake was somehow important. In the movie, the snake was really just one more Hogwarts invader, and he took her out to help his comrades. There's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't have the same...flavour, with respect to Neville's character.

I liked that we got to see Ron and Hermione enter the Chamber of Secrets, but I also wish they'd done that without telling Harry first. I think they did a reasonably good job of Ron and Hermione's first kiss, since all the house elf stuff had been left out of the movies, but I liked the way Rowling wrote it a lot better. I generally don't like the way the interactions between the trio were handled within Hogwarts at all. They were together (or at least aware of each other's actions) when they shouldn't have been, and apart when they shouldn't have been, and the flow was just all wrong.

I didn't like anything about the diadem part of the movie. The scene with the Grey Lady didn't work for me, and the Room of Requirement stuff was really disjointed, imo. It could have used a little more explanation or something. I'm sure most people watching it had read the book, anyway, but the RoR scene didn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. I also don't think it was very clear that the Horcrux was actually destroyed by the fiendfire (which was never called that in the movie, to the best of my recollection).

I'm ripping on this pretty badly, but I did actually enjoy it. I think Part 1 may have been a bit better, overall (although I'm definitely in the "hating" camp on the weird Harry and Hermione dancing scene).

Oh well, it was fun and for all my complaining I enjoyed it and am glad I went. It will be fun to see if in 20 or 30 years somebody makes a mini-series or anime out of it. Potter Clone Wars anyone?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#68 of 82 Old 08-05-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post

Oh, and one more thing — since all the movies are out now, finally, which is your favorite movie and why?

7 (parts 1 & 2) are the only ones I have seen in the theater. I never got into HP until the kids got old enough to start reading them on their own. Very sensitive kids so I didn't want to go there before they were ready. DD1 is still slogging through 4. She read 1-3 fairly quickly and then DH read them as bedtime stories to both girls and then, and only then, we rented the movies and watched them after the books had been read. The kids have not made it through book 4 yet, though, so I haven't ever seen those movies. (I could rent them and watch them by myself, but more fun with the kids). So, I've only seen 1, 2, 3, and 7 parts 1 & 2. I've read all the books on my own. Couldn't stop once I got started.

Of the movies, I actually think  I like 1 the best. It's got that whole "magical" feeling down and, although, the kids' acting is fairly rudimentary and it's got a Disneyfied feel to the whole thing, I thought it worked best and most cohesively as a movie — of the ones I've seen. I liked 2 also for much the same reasons, but it doesn't have the "wow" factor of the first moment you see Hogwarts. 3 was a disappointment. I'd like to see it again, but it just didn't gel the way the others did. I liked the book very much, though, so it was a big let down. One day, when the kids finish the other books I'll weigh in on 4, 5, and 6.

FWIW, I'm not sure what my favourite is, although I tend to agree about the first one. I think the magic feeling of Hogwarts showed the most in it. However, I felt that 4, 5, and 6 were all really jumbled let downs. YMMV, of course, but I thought they were all pretty weak. I think 6 may have been slightly better than 5, but I hated 5. I remember watching it with the feeling that it had to be better than 4, and then thinking, "wow - it's actually worse". I don't think a person who hadn't read the book would have had even the faintest clue what was going on half the time.  I think those books were probably difficult to make into movies, as they contained a lot of plot turns and Goblet of Fire included a character who wasn't who the viewer thought he was, which needed to be handled fairly well, or it was too confusing. I don't think it was handled particularly well, personally.

Overall, they're just not as good as the books. I much preferred the way Hedwig died in the movie, but I think that's the only place where the book suffered by comparison, yk? I thought 7 (both parts) had a lot of annoying flaws, but was overall such an improvement over the previous three that I'm mostly willing to overlook them!

#69 of 82 Old 08-05-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Great question!

I had a big, long post typed up but it went kaboom, so I'll just say 'yeah, what she said' to everything Storm Bride said above. 

Sorcerer's Stone was such a disappointment when it first came out but over time I decided Chris Columbus, at least compared to the rest of the directors, really was the best director.  Just simple, straightforward movie making. 

Prisoner of Azkaban was actually very nice to look at, and Alfonso Cuaron did a good job.  But I don't know why, I just never got cuddly with that movie.  Maybe it was Emma's eyebrows. eyesroll.gif

I know the kids didn't like working with Mike Newell in Goblet of Fire. But by comparison to David Yates, Newell made the better movie.  And yes, Goblet of Fire was infuriating.

Order of the Phoenix was just a mess.  I was actually depressed when we left the theater.

Edited to add, I think I've only seen Order of the Phoenix the one time since we got the dvd. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#70 of 82 Old 08-05-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Prisoner of Azkaban was actually very nice to look at, and Alfonso Cuaron did a good job.  But I don't know why, I just never got cuddly with that movie.  Maybe it was Emma's eyebrows. eyesroll.gif

I actually had a hate on for the way the werewolf was depicted in that one. Overall, I liked it reasonably well, although I felt the whole "wormtail was Ron's rat, and the one who betrayed the Potters" thing came across in a somewhat too jumbled fashion. It wasn't terrible, though.

Order of the Phoenix was just a mess.  I was actually depressed when we left the theater.

Edited to add, I think I've only seen Order of the Phoenix the one time since we got the dvd. 

I don't know if I'd say I was depressed, exactly, but I definitely felt pretty low when we left the theater. I never did buy it on DVD, and haven't bought any since. I'll get them eventually, but I've felt no urgency about it, yk?

#71 of 82 Old 08-05-2011, 02:42 PM

I actually liked that they didn't show Hermione drinking the Polyjuice. It seemed like it showed some respect to the movie-watchers, like "You guys know the drill", rather than spelling it all out for us - and Helena's acting made it pretty clear pretty quickly that Bellatrix was really Hermione, anyway. Helena's so awesome. :)

I like Deathly Hallows Part 1 best, followed by PoA. Goblet of Fire is my favourite book, but the movie was very rushed... probably still my third favourite, though.

And I liked the Harry-Hermione dancing scene! I thought it was the one scene in, heh, the entire series where Emma Watson's acting was good. It was passable in a few more scenes, but in the dancing scene it was actually somewhat nuanced and moving, and that was awesome. I thought they both conveyed a lot without words - Daniel Radcliffe was better than usual too. It is a little hard to imagine the Harry of the books dancing, but still, I liked the scene.

I was really disappointed with the Ron/Hermione kiss. I had this whole theory about how it was gonna happen, and then... nope, just a standard danger, excitement, drama kiss.

#72 of 82 Old 08-05-2011, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Helena as Hermione was scary good... I had to do a double take at first, like, "wait, did they just put Emma in Bellatrix clothes/make up? LAME!...wait no..holy crap.."

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#73 of 82 Old 08-05-2011, 03:25 PM

yeah, I agree Helena as Hermione was great. I'll be interested to see the other movies when the kids ever finish those books! I actually liked the long-haired boys better, so it's GOF that has that right?

journeymom likes this.

#74 of 82 Old 08-05-2011, 03:38 PM

I think I really like the audio books best of all, maybe more than reading them myself. 

#75 of 82 Old 08-05-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Yup, that was GoF with the longer hair.  I liked it too. 

We listened to OotP on CD, the Scholastic version with the guy whose name I can't think of right now.  It was wonderful.  I'd really like to hear one of them narrated by Stephen Fry.

#76 of 82 Old 08-05-2011, 06:26 PM

GoF was my least favorite of the books AND the movies.

OotP was my favorite book, and I did't hate the movie. (and I have a kid named Phoenix.. go figure!)
PoA was my favorite movie. I also really enjoyed DHp1.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#77 of 82 Old 08-12-2011, 10:03 AM

We watched all the movies again before going to see DHp2.

I barely made it through the first movie.  It was truly awful.  Not even the cuteness of the kids saved it from being boring and trite and just...ugh.

The second movie was a bit of an improvement.  I think Kenneth Brannagh really saved it.  He was awesome.  I also loved Lucius Malfoy in this movie.  His part was really over-acted, but in a good way.  And I remember the burrow being exactly how I pictured it in my head, which is always nice.  I think the increased action helps this movie not be as boring as the first.

PoA is definitely my favorite movie (I loved the book, too).  I think it's the time-turner thing.  My favorite Star Trek episodes are always the time travel ones where everything kind of fits together and you realized things happened in the past because your future self was making them happen (Okay, now I have to go find that Voyager episode now that it's on Netflix...)  But it moves along so much better than the first 2 and is so interesting visually.  Not so cutesy either.

I actually liked GoF as well.  It's one of the few movies that doesn't make me cringe in some way.  DH and I had a fun time joking about how Cedric Diggory forgot his glitter.

I think OOtP is, by far, the worst movie.  Such a disappointment on so many levels.  At the same time, Umbridge was very well-cast.  And Luna is really, really awesome.  She's absolutely perfect in this movie (and the others).  I loved her.

I remember not liking HBP either, but when I watched it again it wasn't as horrible as I remember it being.

I quite liked both DH movies.  I'm happy they ended the series well.  It really would have been a let-down if either of these movies had been as bad as the 5th or 6th.

#78 of 82 Old 08-12-2011, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

I remember being outraged after seeing GoF the first time, specifically for the way Michael Gambon's Dumbldore was portrayed.  He bellowed angrily and snapped at the students, and that was just such a betrayal, so wrong.  But -we did actually watch the dvd repeatedly when it came out. Aside from that huge blemish (cranky, yelling Dumbledore) it is a fun movie. 

#79 of 82 Old 08-12-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

I remember being outraged after seeing GoF the first time, specifically for the way Michael Gambon's Dumbldore was portrayed.  He bellowed angrily and snapped at the students, and that was just such a betrayal, so wrong.  But -we did actually watch the dvd repeatedly when it came out. Aside from that huge blemish (cranky, yelling Dumbledore) it is a fun movie. 

His Dumbledore was very poor, but it got gradually better, and was at its absolute worst in GoF. I read that Gambon hadn't read the books, so he had no real feel for Dumbledore, but the director should have given better guidance.

I found GoF too jumbled, but have never quite put my finger on exactly why. It's definitely far, far better than the next two, though! OotP was actually worse than I remembered it being, when we rented it on DVD, after seeing it in the theater...and I wasn't impressed in the thetaer.

#80 of 82 Old 08-12-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I read that Gambon hadn't read the books, so he had no real feel for Dumbledore, but the director should have given better guidance.

"Read the damn books" would have been an appropriate bit of guidance, don't you think? I mean, come on, smart eight-year-olds were reading the books; I'm sure Gambon could have managed it. Or listened to the audio tapes, or something. I really don't understand actors who take on movie roles without doing their research, especially in a Harry Potter-type situation where the source material is so loved. It's lazy. Being chosen for that kind of iconic role is a privilege, and you'd think they'd take it seriously and try to get a decent handle on the character!

#81 of 82 Old 08-12-2011, 05:32 PM

I read the book series and watched the movies just in the last couple of months while recovering from brain surgery and then having a second surgery the week after DH2 came out in the theaters. Normally, I read non-fiction. My DD is a huge bookworm/sensitive type and our HP book set was actually a gift from me to DH awhile back. DD finally dug into it though and I wanted something I could relate to her through while I was laid up. Since I read and watched everything in the space of only a few months, I may get some titles and scenes mixed up. I didn't really have any breaks between books or movies.

I was so surprised at the effect the books had on me and how completely I was taken in by JKR. I had seen the first two movies on the big screen when they first came out but didn't get into them at that time. Since I had recently read each book before viewing the films on DVD, I found some of the films excruciating to watch due to the disparities. I guess I am a purist. After each DVD, I ranted about everything that differed from the book.

The movie I thought was really well-done was "Order of the Phoenix." And I hated reading that book. I noticed a PP said she felt depressed after seeing it at the theater. Well, I was quite depressed after reading the book. I empathized so much with Harry in regards to my surgical healing that I sometimes felt like I was going through a parallel version of what he was going through: the scar on his head hurt - so did mine, he had no information for so long - neither did I. And then she brought in Umbridge - ack! I almost found it unbearable. She was so horrible to read and Harry and the rest were rendered so powerless; I thought JKR really made the reader empathize with her protagonists. (Of course, this could be colored somewhat by what I was going through at the time. Did other people feel intense frustration while reading this book - esp. the part in the beginning at 4 Privet Drive and with Umbridge and the whole creepy stuff with the gov't take-over?)

But in the OoTP film, I really liked the way the director used lighting. Everything was framed in darkness and then the most irritating, nasty character was rendered in bright pinks with the lighting focused on her. I was very impressed with this and thought it really brought the feeling of the book to life. (Yes, the pink part was in the book, but I thought the lighting was excellent punctuation.) One of the other movies I enjoyed was the first one, though the kids' acting was annoying - especially Daniel Radcliffe's. At the end of the first movie, even my 8-year old DD said she thought his smile looked cheesy. I do feel like Radcliffe's acting improved immensely by the DH movies though, and I have to wonder if it's from his work on the stage.

I've been impressed with Rupert Grint's acting of Ron from the beginning of the series. I'd like to see what he ends up working on next. I did think that Gambon's later interpretation of Dumbledore was much better. When he replaced the other actor, I found it very frustrating and distracting, like viewing a stranger because the first Dumbledore seemed so perfect.

I did appreciate how much political commentary JKR put into these books and I was very disappointed about how many of the films left out what I considered important themes.

As for the Deathly Hallows: I watched Part 1 on DVD on a very small screen. DH watched it with me and he never read the final book and he was completely confused about what was going on. The dancing scene with Harry and Hermione was interesting and kind of sweet but odd. I can't remember now if they did anything much with Kreacher and how his relationship with the kids changed while they were hiding out in Sirius's old house. Probably not since they completely removed the house-elves from the previous movie where they played a key part in the whole mystery. (That really ticked me off.)

I will have to re-watch DH1 to be able to comment much on it. However, one part that did really bug me in DH1 was how Wormtail died. I thought the book said so much about Voldemort by having Wormtail die from being strangled by his own restored metal hand (earlier bestowed by V) just because Wormtail hesitated with a moment's compassion. I don't know why they could not have added that to the movie. I also wish could have better conveyed how Harry had chosen to physically dig Dobby's grave by hand rather than using magic. Not sure how they would have done this though.

My DH and I went to see DH2 in the theater 2 days before I had my second surgery. I felt very urgent about seeing it before the surgery because my eyesight was very strained due to the growth of the lesion in my head and I was not sure what would happen to my vision afterward. (I am afraid I cannot separate the HP stories from my own experience because I've been using them to help me deal with what has happened to me. Since no one was able to identify what the lesion was, we decided to call it Voldemort. I chose this because like Voldemort, the lesion was reported to be gray and I assumed it was ugly and had bad intentions - it was definitely hurting / threatening me. And it came back after they removed most of it the first time. Since I knew Voldemort died for good in the end of the series, I felt it was a good name for my unidentified mass.)

As for the movie, we ended up sitting in the back row on a Tuesday night at 9:00. Not many people were there at first, but by the time the film started it was reasonably filled up. The crowd was fairly emotional and there was quite a lot of crying and cheering at certain parts.

I agree with many of the PP's about their thoughts on HP2. I plan to go see it a second time with some friends once I am able to get out and about again.

I was most anticipating seeing the scene of Snape's death because he is my favorite character in the books and I think Alan Rickman is an amazing actor. I found it visually and poetically beautiful that they used his tears in the movie, although it bugged me that it didn't make sense with how the memories are usually retrieved and how the Pensieve is usually used. I was glad that they were able to convey the violence of Snape's death without being too gross.

In the book, Snape tells Harry "Look at me" during this scene. I've seen much speculation as to why he says this, and it seems like the film makers used the interpretation of Snape finally seeing Lily's eyes in Harry's. I thought this worked well in the film. The memories and flashbacks were OK though I thought they could have done a touch better.

I thought the line where Dumbledore talks to Snape about hiding the best of him would have been much more effective if they'd shown Snape's face and his reaction, rather than cutting to a long shot during that line. I found that a bit distracting and in the book, I thought that was a very important point about SS's character. And there is the whole list of things that were inconsistent with how the Pensieve works. I also found it distracting that Snape as a young boy looked too much like Christina Ricci's portrayal of Wednesday Addams in "The Addams Family" movies. My DH thought the same thing. As for pronunciation of "pensieve", I have been trying to figure out how to say that word since I started reading the books - lol. The way Rickman delivered it was fine with me.

I didn't like the way they didn't explain Harry's sacrifice at the end and how his love protected everyone from Voldemort. I also was bothered by the final blow to Voldemort coming from Neville's destruction of Nagini rather than V's own curse bouncing back off Harry. I am glad that Neville came into his own, but I liked how it happened in the book better. I was waiting for Harry's monologue toward V and it never came.

But I did think the movie was very exciting, visually stunning and I love the costumes. Also really liked Flitwick and McGonagall putting up spells of protection. And I felt very sad for Snape when he was first shown at Hogwarts looking out the window at what looks like a WWII military assembly because I don't think he ever wanted that. I don't think someone who'd never read the book would see it the same way, but he looked regretful to me because of how entangled he got himself into the whole mess from the actions of his younger days. I felt really sad that he never was freed from his past before he died. I really wanted him to get a second chance.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#82 of 82 Old 08-15-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Starflower, what an amazing post. Thank you for sharing your perspective on the series. The way that the series became so meaningful to you, especially in OotP, is wonderful. I love that you named the lesion Voledemort! Love it!

You might write to JK Rowling and share with her how the series became so meaningful to you personally. I think she would be deeply touched.
MadiMamacita likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page