Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, 2 **Yes of course there are spoilers** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 82 Old 07-15-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

So don't read here if you don't want to be spoiled.  orngbiggrin.gif Seriously, go do a load change and forget about this thread.  Don't come back until you've seen the movie and are ready to talk about it.

Saw it last night and it was GREAT!

It was neat to see it with an appreciative crowd.  People cheered at all the right moments.  I came out of there in tears of nostalgia.  I'm ready to go see it again.  Well, partly because we were crammed into a corner in the 2nd to front row.  I came out of there with a sore neck. 

Finally, FINALLY Alan Rickman was put to work. It was delicious and so satisfying!

Well done, Neville!!  He got huge cheers when he killed Nagini.

I'm so glad I didn't re-read the book.  I'm so glad I'm not comparing the movies to the books as much I used to. 

More to say, but I haven't had my coffee yet. 

Well, what did you think??

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 82 Old 07-15-2011, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD and I went last night for the dbl feature of both deathly hallows.  

I am soooo glad they split the movie so they were able to put almost everything in the movie.  I loved the Mrs Weasley/Bellatrix fight.  The audience went crazy.

I just lost it with Snapes memories.   Aggghhh.  Killed me.  He is by far my favorite. 

It was so powerful when they were placing the protection charms on hogwarts.  With it slowly forming around the school and the stone soldiers coming forward, it just made me think " It all has come down to this . . . "

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain
#3 of 82 Old 07-15-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yup, so much to love! 

But!  I'm realizing they didn't do Wormtail's death right.  In the book his silver hand that Voldemort 'gifted' him strangled him to death when he betrayed Voldemort in his mind. A totally awesome, creepy scene.  In DH1 Dobby zaps him in the butt or something like that.  eyesroll.gif  So I figured maybe they'd finish Wormtail off properly in DH2.  But he wasn't there!

So does that mean Dobby killed Wormtail?? nono.gif

The whole audience (lots of girls) laughed with Voldemort hugged Draco. I have to admit it was an odd site. I was cringing for Draco. Eww. lol.gif

#4 of 82 Old 07-15-2011, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
On the bus on the way home from the movie! Lots of changes to how harry enters hogwarts, but it worked. Powerful when they just walked right into the great hall "security problem"...ballsy! Mcgonagall made me so proud! I like to think she becomes headmistress because she's a badass! Follows dumbledores footsteps nicely. I'm glad I saw 3d with those big glasses covering my eyes so no one could notice my crybaby self when mcgonagall did the spell to bring the guards to life. And all the sells going into the sky. Loved it. "Yes. Make it go boom!"...lol.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#5 of 82 Old 07-15-2011, 08:03 PM

I really missed the elves not rallying at the end to help fight Voldemort.  I also like the book version where the elder wand is returned to dumbledores tomb.  but overall FANTASTIC movie!!!  I already want to see it again. 

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain
#6 of 82 Old 07-15-2011, 11:18 PM

Oooh I wish they'd had him use the elder wand to repair his old wand! I liked that part. I don't see why they had to change that

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#7 of 82 Old 07-16-2011, 07:26 PM

We just saw it this afternoon. We really loved it. My favorite parts-

Putting enchantments on the castle

McGonagall is SO cool. So fierce!

Cirian Hinds as Aberforth!! That was a delightful surprise!!

Hermione and Ron finally kissing/getting together.

Everything with Snape!

Ravenclaw's ghost was cool.

Harry accepting his death and walking into the woods to die. The scene with his parents, Lupin and Sirius was well done for the most part.

Kings Cross!

The tenderness with his son at the end.

Disappointments-

They didn't explain why Harry didn't die-sacrificing himself for others brought him back and gave them special protection.

Not seeing Fred die/the scene with Mrs Weasly and Belltrix. That all wasn't BIG enough to me.

The final battle scene. I think it was important that Voldemort basically killed himself when his curse rebounded.

The thing I HATE HATE HATE is that there was no CELEBRATION when Voldy died!! Harry didn't go into the headmaster's office with all the portraits cheering and crying and Dumbledore being there. That was one of my favorite parts.

I would've liked a little more in the epilogue.

But again overall we loved it!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#8 of 82 Old 07-16-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

I'm so glad I didn't re-read the book.  I'm so glad I'm not comparing the movies to the books as much I used to. 

I'm glad I didn't re-read it either. There were some parts of the movie that I thought weren't like the book but then I couldn't remember so I just kind of said "whatever" and ignored it. And I didn't remember enough of the book to notice anything missing.

I really liked the part when Hermione changed into Bellatrix. When she said "Good Morning!" and the guy just looks at her like she's crazy. And then in the bank, she's trying so hard to be a bitch and just can't.

I also liked when McGonagall said the spell that got all the stone soldiers and then said "I've always wanted to say that spell!" and looked so excited.

And also the scene with Mrs. Weasley and Bellatrix!

And all I can say about Neville is WOW, both for his performance and for Matt Lewis in general. He sure has grown up! http://gofugyourself.com/potterfugia-hot-neville-07-2011

#9 of 82 Old 07-16-2011, 09:56 PM

I made the mistake of rereading The Goblet of Fire right before the movie came out and it totally ruined it for me. I decided never to read the book within 6 months of the movie coming out again!

I love Hermione as Bellatrix too! She was so awkward!

I watched a special on the TV Guide channel tonight about the movie and I couldn't believe how different "Neville" looks in real life!

I so wish I'd been able to see the movie with die-hard fans. No one clapped or shouted when good things happened!! I wanted to go to a midnight showing but I have a 3 1/2 mo and I didn't think she'd appreciate being out at that time of night. I was thrilled she slept through the movie today though. I was so glad to see the last movie on the big screen!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#10 of 82 Old 07-17-2011, 01:27 AM

The movies make me realize how truly phenomenal an author JK is. I rewatched part 1 the night before seeing part 2, and I was getting completely confused when stuff I *thought* I saw.. didn't happen. Like Lupin showing up at Grimmauld place wanting to join them, and Harry ripping him a new one and saying to go back to his wife/baby. (Or was he born yet? Can't remember). I see it so vividly in my mind that even as I'm typing I'm second guessing myself, "did I get up to use the bathroom/get a snack and miss that part when rewatching it?" I see it so vividly in my head! So either I SPACED while watching it the 2nd time, or it was never there and its just JK's writing being so awesome as to play in my head like a movie to the point where I think it *was* the movie. And I also thought I'd already seen them escape on the dragon. Upon further thought I realized that that happened further along, but then when I did see it in part 2.. it pretty much looked how I visualized it. There's not a whole heck of a lot that happens in HP movies that makes me go, "oh, weird, thats not at all how I visualized it".. some, sure, but not as much stuff as I take for granted as "of course it looks like that, how else would it look?"

#11 of 82 Old 07-17-2011, 03:39 PM

Crabbe and Goyle are white, right? And they are who are with Draco in the RoR, right? The movie showed one of them, and a black kid, who was he?

And who was the boy on the train that said "My father will hear about this"? Totally moronic.

And why did they show the Malfoys walking away, instead of being in the Great Hall, which is where the last bit was supposed to be?
#12 of 82 Old 07-17-2011, 04:08 PM

I was confused about crabbe and goyle...

The impression I got from the malfoys walking away is that they were turning their back on voldy and the death eaters. Like they realized they had gotten in WAY over their heads and were like, screw it, let's just be together as a family? Cowardly, of course, since they wouldn't do that until the threat of voldemort was gone. There were lots of signs throughout the movie that they were turning their backs. Draco not saying he was harry, narcissa lying, etc. They walk away, because they don't want to be with the death eaters, and its not like harry's crew is going to welcome them with open arms... well, they're forgiving but the malfoys aren't quite there with the humility.

I was thinking about the lack of celebration. In the hour before hary goes to theforbidden forest, we're seeing everyone who died.. family and friends crying over bodies. It would seem out of place to go straight to party mode. That was a serious battle. Everyone is in shock and mourning deaths.

#13 of 82 Old 07-17-2011, 04:38 PM

But there WAS celebration in the book/ Mournful celebration but a celebration nonetheless.  just wish they'd done the scene in the headmasters office after Voldemort died.

The actor that played Crabbe had a drug arrest two years ago and it was announced a few months later that he would not be back for the last movie. I'm not sure if it was his choice or the choice of the powers that be. Maybe they thought he was a bad influence, etc? Who knows. I wish they'd just recast him and stayed true to the book.

DH has Sirius Radio in his car and when I've driven it this weekend I've been listening to Leaky Con. Love it!

#14 of 82 Old 07-18-2011, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Just saw it today.

First impressions:

-I thought Part 1 was better.

-Liked the escape from Gringott's with the dragon - well, actually, mostly I just like the design of the dragon. It had cool eyes.

-Poor Ron got shamefully underused in this film, again. Even Hermione didn't get much of a role. All she and Ron seemed to do was stand in the background and say "Brilliant" at each other.

-I did love Helena playing Emma. She got the walk down pat. Unfortunately, seeing the adults parody the kids so brilliantly (the "Harry walk" in Part One, inside the Ministry?) just kinda reinforces the disparity between the talents of the adults and the trio. I thought the kids' acting improved a lot in Part One, but was back to being ropy again here. Were they filmed simultaneously? Harry in particular annoyed me.

-For some reason, the font used as subtitles for Parseltongue and the "19 years later" title card bugged me. It was very... unmagical. :p

-Harry's mother looked way too old in this. I guess that was inevitable...

-It jarred me a bit to have the battle at Hogwarts start so soon. I guess it makes sense, because this is part two, so most of thew plot has already happened... but I was expecting it to happen later, for some reason. Oh well; not the movie's fault.

-I thought there were way too many cheesy moments. It seemed like everyone wanted a chance to stand dramatically in front of Harry and look staunch, or give some slightly out-of-character brash line for comic effect that just fell a bit flat and made me cringe. (McGonagall, I'm looking at you. Great hair, though.)

-Once again, Ginny woefully underused. People say she can't act, but I think it's a writing/direction issue - she's a feisty character, but she doesn't have any lines, and you can't really stand there looking feisty without lines or you just look kind of manic, so she just had to stand around a lot looking blank. Ridiculous waste of a good character. I liked her age makeup, though. Hermione looked haggard, Harry bizarre, and Ron realistic but kind of slovenly... but she looked fairly believable. I always thought she had a mature, motherly kind of face.

-Albus Severus was cute. Must have been such a treat for the kids who got cast as Harry's, Hermione's and Ron's children! Very little acting required, and a permanent place in the canon. Lucky ducks! :)

-I was surprisingly moved when Lavender died. Wish they'd given a bit more time to the Weasley twins, though - not just the death scene, but a bit more leadup than their one line before the battle.

-Not too fussed on Neville's speech to Voldy,  although I'm glad he got his day in the sun. Really, has anyone ever in real life pointed to his heart and referred to someone dead as being "here"? Ever? I'm fairly sure it's just something Hollywood writers think people say...

-Ooh, Shell Cottage was pretty. I really liked the design there.

-The Ron/Hermione kiss was disappointing. And what was with Neville being in love with Luna?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#15 of 82 Old 07-18-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

-Harry's mother looked way too old in this. I guess that was inevitable...

I noticed that too. His father too. Weren't they supposed to be just barely out of school when they died, like 20-21 yo? I looked up the ages of the actors and they are pretty old, 44 and 53. I am 45 and I was way older than 21 when the first movie came out. Heck, I was older than 21 when JK Rowling started writing the books! I wonder why they didn't try to find younger actors from the start? 

#16 of 82 Old 07-18-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Like Stacey said, the actor who played Vincent Crabbe was expelled from Hogwarts.  Sad.  The ...AB? student (obviously not AA) I'm guessing was supposed to be Blaize Zabini. 

The Malfoys were being quintessential Slytherins, with a strong sense of ...self preservation.   I decided I really like the Malfoy's story.  In the end it was Narcissa who got their butts out of the fire.  And she was one of the people who saved Harry.  For her own purely selfish reasons, but the result was that Harry lived.

#17 of 82 Old 07-18-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
And who was the boy on the train that said "My father will hear about this"? Totally moronic.

lol.gif  I decided that was Justin Finch-Fletchly.  A Hufflepuff. An upper class twit, bragged about how he was slated to go to Eton School before he was invited to Hogwarts.   But he was basically a good guy.  He was in Dumbledore's Army. 

#18 of 82 Old 07-18-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

duh.gif  Couldn't be Justin Finch-Fletchly. He was muggle-born so it would be useless to threaten to tattle on the Death Eaters to his father.

So he was some other privileged upper class twit.

#19 of 82 Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 PM

I cried though about 2/3rds of it.

Remus told Harry people would tell his son who his mom and dad died for.. but unless I missed it, Tonks never had the baby and actually come to think of it, did they ever even really SAY she was pg?

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#20 of 82 Old 07-19-2011, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

At the start of Part 1 she made a vague comment that they had some news, which presumably was about her pregnancy (fairly early, I assume, although I guess she could have disguised a pregnancy fairly well, being Tonks!); but it was never mentioned again after that. I thought it was silly to bring Teddy up in the last movie, given that they hadn't bothered to establish a point to his existence (Lupin leaving Tonks and all that). It was a sop to the fans which backfired... there were a few of those, sadly.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#21 of 82 Old 07-19-2011, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We saw it last night and enjoyed it greatly. By the end, I was amazed all over again at the wonderful, rich, inventive, complex world that JKR created. 

Funny, my dc were more critical than I, but they have a better memory for the details from the books. DS was particularly scathing about the need to compress events and skip others. He disliked all the bad exposition (his words) that was used to explain things to the audience - in the scene with Harry and Dumbledore, for example. It was DD's second time seeing it and she cried a lot, but said she cried even more the first time. 

There was a lot of laughter when Voldemort hugged Draco - from my dc and others in the audience. It was awkward. We cheered for Neville and McGonagall and the others. It still bothers me a little that Molly takes out Bellatrix Lestrange, since I think Neville should have done it by rights, after what she did to his parents. I suppose JKR wanted to give him the honour of destroying a Horcrux, so I guess it's okay in the end.  

My kids wanted the final battle between Harry and Voldemort to take place in the Great Hall. They also thought it was too bad that Harry didn't use the Elder Wand to heal his own wand and then returned it to Dumbledore's tomb, but I guess that would have taken too long for the movie. 

We all agreed that the movie should have included the final battle scenes from the book where the house elves and centaurs joined in the fight. DS pointed out that JKR wrote that scene to signify unity against the hatred, ethnic cleansing and class prejudice from Voldemort and the Death Eaters. By eliminating it, the film-makers missed the message - a little like the way the final LOTR movie missed the point of the Hobbits' resistance against enslavement and evil. 

I think I'd like to see the 2 final films together. I recall the first part seemed slow and endless, although I liked it - especially for some odd reason, the off-beat scene of Hermione and Harry dancing. (I think Radcliffe and Watson had a nice chemistry, whether JKR intended Harry and Hermione to be just friends). The second part seemed like a freight locomotive of action in comparison. I'd like to see how they work together as a whole.

#22 of 82 Old 07-19-2011, 08:09 AM

I just want them to go back and try again, from the beginning smile.gif
I sobbed during snapes memories. Even though he looked really weird in some parts of it- when they were trying to make Rickman look younger.. he just looked plastic or something.
In the book did Harry bottle Snapes tears? I didn't know you could put tears in the penseive..

I feel like, although I did enjoy the movie, they missed so many emotional parts I guess it kind of fell a teeny bit flat for me. It could have had me sobbing the whole time instead of just most of it lol.gif

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

#23 of 82 Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 AM

Thought of something else - in the epilogue in the book, I don't think that JKR pointed out that Harry's younger son's initials spell out "ASP". I could be wrong though, I'll have to check. As soon as I read the epilogue, when the 7th book was released, I though it was very clever. I was convinced then that Albus Potter was destined for Slytherin. At the end of the movie, it was obviously highlighted with the monogrammed luggage. 

I think it's a nice set up for a new series, if JKR ever decides to continue writing. Two brothers, one in Gryffindor and the other in Slytherin, and a new struggle between them. She's touched on the theme before - Percy and the other Weasley boys, Sirius and Rebus Black, Albus and Aberforth. I wouldn't be surprised if she'd like to explore it further. 

#24 of 82 Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM

*Regulus Black smile.gif

I was thinking last night that I SO desperately want another book.. I call the continuation of the story into the next generation "Anne of Green Gables style" because that is the first series I read where I encountered that. In this case, I guess that could be interesting. The death eaters are still around.. Plus there are giants and werewolves .. there are potential foes there.

but really, I don't care that Voldemort is dead and there is no villian. I just want to flesh out what happened BETWEEN the end of the book and the epilogue! There has to be a good book or three in there.. its 19 fricken years! It would be a different genre for sure.. but there would be an audience for it.. PLEASE JK, PLEASE!!!!

Or even a book about the previous generation.. star wars episode one style..

#25 of 82 Old 07-19-2011, 01:44 PM

I don't understand why the initials are significant? I don't think he's necessarily destined for slytherin. Harry was telling him how the sorting hat will take their opinion into consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

Thought of something else - in the epilogue in the book, I don't think that JKR pointed out that Harry's younger son's initials spell out "ASP". I could be wrong though, I'll have to check. As soon as I read the epilogue, when the 7th book was released, I though it was very clever. I was convinced then that Albus Potter was destined for Slytherin. At the end of the movie, it was obviously highlighted with the monogrammed luggage. 

#26 of 82 Old 07-19-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post

In the book did Harry bottle Snapes tears? I didn't know you could put tears in the penseive..

No, the silvery memories just came flowing out like blood. I thought it was kind of weird, frankly.  This was one of those times that I liked the movie makers' take better than JKR's. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

I don't understand why the initials are significant? I don't think he's necessarily destined for slytherin. Harry was telling him how the sorting hat will take their opinion into consideration

How interesting! I didn't notice that about Albus Severus' initials.  The initials could be a hint from JKR, that's her style.  But she also seems to just like snake motifs. She's worn snake print dresses and wore fantastic snakey high heels to a reading once. 

#27 of 82 Old 07-19-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:

I don't understand why the initials are significant?

An asp is a snake. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asp "Asp (reptile), an archaic term for a venomous snake."

#28 of 82 Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:

*Regulus Black smile.gif

Regulus, of course, thank you!! As I said, I'm getting fuzzy on the details, unlike my kids who have steel-trap recall of every little thing. 

#29 of 82 Old 07-20-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

An asp is a snake. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asp "Asp (reptile), an archaic term for a venomous snake."

Yeah. I figured if anyone ends up in Slytherin, it's the guy whose name reflects a poisonous viper. JKR uses names to signal a lot about a character (Sirius - dog, Lupin - wolf, Severus - severe......)

As for Albus choosing whether he's in Slytherin or Gryffindor, that's where I see the start of a new conflict for the characters to wrestle with. I don't write fanfic, but if I did....how about James, in the fashion of his grandfather, does some arrogant big brother bullying of Albus while they are on the Hogwarts Express. Poor little Albus is feeling isolated and a little vengeful, and it's Scorpius who extends a hand of friendship. Maybe Albus sees some of the positive attributes of Slytherin while he's on the train, and starts to consider the house in a new light. After all they stick together, defend each other, believe in showing strength and shrewdness, and have a strong sense of self-preservation - all attributes that might appeal to a younger brother who wants to stand up to his stronger older brother. They arrive at Hogwarts and at the crucial moment, under the Sorting Hat, Albus recalls his father's words that Slytherin would be fine. He chooses Slytherin. And we get at least a trilogy about the struggle between 2 brothers that threatens to tear apart the wizarding world. 

Since JKR has dealt with the conflict between individuals resisting an overwhelming external evil, I think she might want to explore a different theme - the struggle of an individual dealing with internal conflicts. I know she wrote about it in HP, but I think there's a lot more she could focus on with a study of 2 brothers and the journey of a prodigal son who eventually seeks redemption. 

I know that's an awful lot to hang off 3 little letters (ASP), but hey, I live in hope for another narrative, not just a Wizarding World Encyclopeadia or a collection of short fairy tales...

#30 of 82 Old 07-20-2011, 08:08 AM

Okay, I know I'm guilty of serial posting now, but since I'm also guilty of dragging the thread OT a little with my fanciful predictions, I thought I'd try to redeem myself by getting back to the movie. 

We saw it in 3D. I'm not usually a huge fan of 3D, since most of the time it seems gimmicky to me. I liked it in this movie though. There were a few scenes where I thought it really did add an extra layer to the experience. The flight on the dragon from Gringott's, for example. 

And speaking of the dragon, I thought that was a masterful creation - it was so starved and tattered yet still powerful and magnificent. I could almost feel the pain of the oozing sores on it's neck. 

There was a lot of technical, special effects stuff that I liked about this movie. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page