Birth Matters by Ina May Gaskin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 07-26-2011, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just read Birth Matters and loved it. However, learning about our failed maternity care system makes me want to spit nails. I am sad and disappointed that birthing mothers are basically treated like crap in this country. I'm so disappointed to know that the U.S. health care system keeps dumping money into technology for birth and doesn't bother with accurate reporting for maternal and infant mortality and morbidity. There's a story in the book of how a mother BLED OUT at home and her daughter died of starvation and dehydration because she was a single mother and a health care professional didn't check on her because she gave birth in the hospital.

My grandmother asked me what I was reading and so I explaned a little about Birth Matters. I tried to explain (and I'm not good at explanations) how the U.S. system for reporting maternal and infant death is seriously screwed up and how it compares to the U.K. reporting system (penalities for not reporting, accurate reporting, and available to the public). My grandmother then said something about how the U.K. is homogenous and the U.S. is getting more and more immigrants and those immigrants don't go to the doctor for prenatal care and that's why mothers and babies die.

I...what?    dizzy.gif   What in the hell does immigration have to do with our piss-poor maternal health system? I wish I could explain things better. I care about these issues, but I don't do a very good job of explaining what's wrong with our health care system. I can read all day long about maternal health care, but oh, trying to articulate the problems is not one of my strong suits. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page