What children's books have you tossed out of your collection lately? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 07-28-2011, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I tossed out "Llama Llama Mad at Mama"  The little llama has a pitching-stuff, dumping juice, breaking things meltdown in basically Wal-Mart (the Shop-O-Rama)  and yes, he does help mama clean it up, but then at the end "All done shopping, time for fun!" and they still go out for the promised ice cream.

first of all, ugh on the bribery.  Am I the only parent who's got a kid who seems to think that promise of a treat is simply a challenge to see if I'm really going to NOT do it?

and second, yes, the little llama does help clean up--but that is what we do when we make a mess!   In my house, if that happened in the store, they'd be going home for a nap, not out to Baskin-Robbins!!!

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 26 Old 07-29-2011, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

haha!  i can't bring myself to throw away books, so i hide them but they keep reappearing.

i absolutely, positively cannot stand "because a little bug went ker-choo." 

somebody gave us a copy of koala lou, which i haven't done anything with besides hide, it's so sweet and pretty but i just don't know how i feel about koala lou's mom getting too busy with the other babies to tell lou she loves her!  ugh!

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#3 of 26 Old 07-29-2011, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We'll be sure to stay clear of that one!

I finally hid Pinkalicious. My 3 yo barely eats anything as it is, but that's taught her that green foods are "icky like Pinkalicious" and that they are a punishment/medicine. eyesroll.gif

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#4 of 26 Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

ugh just what we need right?

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#5 of 26 Old 07-29-2011, 10:07 PM

My mom gave us a bunch of Skippy Jon Jones books and I haven't tossed them yet but they are hidden away. I can't stand them!

#6 of 26 Old 07-30-2011, 04:50 AM

MIL gave us "Elmo Babies."  The pictures are horrid and there is not really any story.  It's headed for the landfill since DS2 has chewed on it a lot anyway.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#7 of 26 Old 08-01-2011, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboss View Post

My mom gave us a bunch of Skippy Jon Jones books and I haven't tossed them yet but they are hidden away. I can't stand them!

That's so funny!  Skippyjon is a favorite here, but I get why it can be irritating....

The girls bring "Miss Spider" books back from the library all the time and they very mysteriously get returned before the week's end.  We read all kids of anthropomorphic stories, but for some reason this one crosses a line for me.  A spider that won't eat bugs?  Yeesh!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#8 of 26 Old 08-03-2011, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

did not realize that miss spider does not eat bugs.  that is wierd!

#9 of 26 Old 08-03-2011, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

A Disney Tigger book some well-meaning relative gave us. I cannot STAND Disney Winnie-the-Pooh. Heck, even the stuff marketed as "classic Pooh" gets my hackles up, because it's not "classic" Pooh, it's REAL Winnie-the-Pooh-by-A-A-Milne-and-illustrated-by-Ernest-Shepard.... or it's not.

A friend gave me a big old box of books, and a lot of them are old-style school learning-to-read books. Some of them are cute, but a few, well, reflect the times. I'm not the type to get up in arms about seeing a mummy cooking while Daddy goes off to work... but she has a book about firemen, with every page showing (male) firefighters climbing ladders and sliding down poles and all that jazz.... and then on one page, presumably feeling very chuffed at their own magnanimity at including the fairer sex, the text says "Sometimes the person who operates the telephones is a woman". Picture of woman. It always makes me giggle and cringe. And let's not get onto a book about My Friend Paul who has (I'm guessing) spina bifida.... it's meant to foster understanding nd PC-ness, doubtless, but it's rather, ah, primitive in that respect.

I haven't thrown any of them out because my friend wants them back when DD is done, but there are some I've hidden at the bottom of the pile.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#10 of 26 Old 08-06-2011, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We're tossing The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm.  I LOVED that book as a kid, but we recently read it during storytime with our smalls and I realized what a complete and total trainwreck it is.  The kids actually feel bad for running away from a kidnapper who keeps the littlest in a cage and doesn't feed them anything but grubby guavas and stale crackers because she's old and they were taught to respect their elders.  The older kids have a long conversation about how they need to escape, but they don't want the kidnapper to go to jail.

Um...no.  Just no.

#11 of 26 Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

I haven't thrown any out yet but, when J was going through a tearing phase at around 9 months I wouldn't rescue the ones I didn't like Sheepish.gif  

Boris the Pirate  - basic plot summary: pirates are all mean and nasty, then Boris' parrot dies and he cries. The End.

Koala Lou - I'm with Hildare on that one

I've recently started unpacking the books I saved from my childhood though so there may be a few throw-aways to come.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#12 of 26 Old 08-08-2011, 10:05 AM

a bunch of hand me down rugrat books

tiptoe into kindergarten 

lil miss naughty

i love you stinky face (just because we had 3 copies! I love this book) 

miss bindergarten gets ready for kindergarten

jimmy neutron books

p.j. funnybunny in the perfect hiding place (its mean!)

and some disney books-

we're going though our bookcases

familybed2.gifSAHM, military wife, momma to DSD 2004lady.gif, 2007angel1.gif, DS 2008jog.gif,  DD 2011 jog.gif

lactivist.gifintactivist.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing2.gifphotosmile2.gif

#13 of 26 Old 08-08-2011, 10:29 AM

I don't keep any of the sesame street/disney/dora/other tv-show based books around.... fortunately (is this fortunate?) we are about the only ones who buy DS books, so I buy the ones I like/approve of. Also, I just don't like the books that are nothing but one word on a page... I'm sure they are all fine and good and whatnot but I just want to toss the thing when I am "reading" it! lol :) Just a pet peeve

#14 of 26 Old 08-08-2011, 01:06 PM

Some really awful "Moral Tale" type stories that a well-meaning (but highly conservative) relative gave us. They were the 'hit you over the head with the moral' kind of story. The worst was that they took decent classic tales (King Midas, The Fisherman's Wife (OK, I hate that one), Stone Soup, etc.) and rewrote them badly to emphasize the moral. Oh, and some Bailey School kids books. I hated those too. They're not awful, I just don't like them. I'd love to give away the insipid Rainbow Magic books but dd can't part with them yet (even though she fully agrees that they all have the same plot).

The only other books I've given away are books my kids have outgrown. We had a few Dora books, Clifford books, Winnie-the-Pooh books that I didn't care for, but my were OK with. But they've stopped reading them. I've kept some classic little kids books (I love the Tom & Pippo books) even though my kids are way too old.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#15 of 26 Old 09-29-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:

We love Skippyjon Jones. Send them our way.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#16 of 26 Old 09-30-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy212 View Post

I just don't like the books that are nothing but one word on a page... I'm sure they are all fine and good and whatnot but I just want to toss the thing when I am "reading" it! lol :) Just a pet peeve

So it's NOT just me!  I can't tolerate those books at all!

We like Skippyjon jones over here, too, but most of my friends despise him.  I think it's just a matter of individual tastes on that one! 

The books I've pitched are mostly religious books for children -- they are positively horrific.  They're either insipid and boring (the Precious Moments stuff -- ick), or they hit you over the head with a badly-written moral, or they refer to God as "He" which, for me, is a deal-breaker.  (They get enough religious gender bias in our church; we don't need to reinforce it at home.) 

The worst, though, are the Bible stories for children -- I'm a biblical scholar, which means EVERYONE gives our kids Bible books.  Sorry, but the Bible is really NOT a children's book.  How on earth do I explain resurrection to a 2 yo who doesn't understand death?  Not to mention the concept of religious sacrifice (which is hard enough for adults to understand; let's not burden kids with it).  My son's name is Isaac, so my MIL gave us a baby board book telling "The Story of Isaac."  Really, I'm going to read my infant a story about God commanding a father to slaughter his own son?  Come on, there's plenty of time for him to wrestle with the weirdness and difficult theology of that story -- we don't have to start when he's a baby!  It's just... weird.  Oh, and don't get me started on the children's picture book that celebrates the way that the 10 plagues devastate the Egyptians.  "Hooray, hooray, all the firstborn babies are dead!"  Seriously?!?! 

So, yeah, mostly we throw away the religious stuff.  Which is a shame, because I'd love to have some good religious books around for them -- we've just found precious few.  (In God's Name, by Sandy Eisenberg Sasso, is fantastic.)

I'd like to pitch the Dora books on principle (the Dora marketing is SO insidious), but they're actually kind of cool in a lot of ways, like gender (Dora's mami is an archaeologist, and her friend's mom is a firefighter) and the adventures are kind of exciting for DD.  Though the theme of the kids' over-reliance on technology makes me cringe a little.  At least the books aren't as annoying as the TV program -- we made the mistake of turning it on.  Once.  10 minutes later, it went back in the "return to the library" pile.  Eugh, it was awful!

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#17 of 26 Old 09-30-2011, 10:46 AM

Love you Forever.  I HATE that book.  I find it creepy.  I have tossed/donated so many copies but my dh loves the book so he keeps finding them in used book stores and buying them. 

The curious George books bother me-I don't like how the man with the yellow hat traps George, and it's ok, and how George is happy to be sent to the zoo, and all the animals are so happy in their teeny cages.

I try to use books like that and those that have old fashioned ideas as talking points.  But I also don't feel bad about putting books that I don't agree with in the donation pile.

#18 of 26 Old 09-30-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymorning View Post

Love you Forever.  I HATE that book.  I find it creepy.  I have tossed/donated so many copies but my dh loves the book so he keeps finding them in used book stores and buying them. 

The curious George books bother me-I don't like how the man with the yellow hat traps George, and it's ok, and how George is happy to be sent to the zoo, and all the animals are so happy in their teeny cages.

I try to use books like that and those that have old fashioned ideas as talking points.  But I also don't feel bad about putting books that I don't agree with in the donation pile.

I remember being SO freaked out as a child over 2 books: one was called Petunia, in which an explosion injures some animals.. and the other was curious george, because the monkey got arrested for calling the police on the telephone. i developed telephone phobia from that book. i HATE curious george.

#19 of 26 Old 10-01-2011, 09:36 AM

There has only been one book I absolutely hated in the last 11 years and that was The Sleep Fairy. I actually destroyed the book.

Someone gave it to us because dd had sleep issues. Basically you are to read this book and slip small gifts to your child if they stay in bed. Gee, I never thought of bribery. Thanks.

Do not give it to someone whose child has real sleep issues and is already frustrated and sleep deprived.

I dislike the Katie Kazoo books that my dd has read but do not get rid of them because dd liked them. I did say I thought it was time to read other books and dd agreed.

Katie changes places with someone in each book but it is only for 10 minutes- long enough for her to go, "What? Who am I now?" and screw up something and change back. She learns nothing real about being in someone else's shoes in that short of a time. I feel she doesn't really deal with conequences much. She has a somewhat mean friend who Katie flatters and worries about placating in every book; I seriously worry about this girl's future relationships. Many stories have boys pitted against girls.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#20 of 26 Old 10-03-2011, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

*sigh* we had the opposite theme going on in our house. 

the books i didn't like are the exact ones dd WANTED. eyesroll.gif

she is 9 now and we have passed on almost all her books. however we have not parted with all her dr seuss, ogden nash and don't let the pigeon drive the bus series. 

however as a toddler dd was v. picky about her books. she always wanted some exciting adventure mystery stories instead of the sappy morally share books. even if they were disguised in the form of bears or cats or dinosaurs.

the one i deliberately donated many years ago was a spongebob book that talked about him acting like he was drunk off of ice-cream he got at a 'bar'. dd never really watched that cartoon - but really loved the artwork. 

ugh i particularly hated both love you forever and the giving tree. but dd enjoyed them both a lot. she didn't view the first book as creepy as i did. but i think it was more coz of the song. and the giving tree kept on giving. but i never gave them away coz dd liked them. however we have the whole shel silverstein poetry collection coz dd enjoyed them so much. she is a kinda poetry freak.  

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#21 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Skippy Jon Jones is a favorite of my DS's.  We have a Siamese cat so I think that is where the attatchment came from.  I honestly don't like reading them outloud to DS because he get very annoyed at my poor Spanish accent during those parts.

The Giving Tree.  I hate that book.  A dear friend on the family gave it to DS and wrote a letter inside the front page.  Not only do I hate the message of the book, DS is terrified by the author's picture on the back cover.  It has been hidden on the top shelf of the closet for years.

My aunt saved all of my childhood books and gave them back to me when DS was born.  The content of many horrify me and I removed them from rotation.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#22 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 11:30 AM

I can't tell you all the books that were in the bin, but we recently got rid of more than a dozen books at DS's 4th birthday party. I put the basket out and told the parents to select 3-4 books for their children, that we were done with the books. Most were not necessarily bad, they just were ones we were through with. I picked up some at the Friends of the Library booksale.

I *do* know that a PJ FunnyBunny was in there. I chose it initially because we liked another PJ book so much (he doesn't want to be a bunny), but in this one, he does all sorts of mean, horrid things to his sister, and when he stops, she decides she wants more! Uh, no.

I also need to get rid of a book that is written in BVE (black vernacular English - is that correct?). I am always on the lookout for books showing brown or black children, and sometimes I just grab all that I find at the Friends' sale. This is AWFUL. I can barely read it. It doesn't reflect DS's culture AT ALL - his current nuclear family OR his extended family. I just don't know how to get rid of the book...

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#23 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 11:39 AM

I can't remember the title but one of the books I threw out was a Disney book, like part of a series parents would have signed up for where you got a book a month.

The story line was how Donald Duck's mean stingy uncle behaves horribly, all sorts of mayhem ensues, Donald sacrifices something of his and the book closes with Mean Stingy Uncle still being as mean and stingy as before.  Message?  You can act like a jerk and everyone will overlook it and you can continue to cr_p all over those who love you with no reprocussions.

Another one I chucked was about a "baby" (really a doll) left out in the woods.  The forest animals were very upset and the little girl (owner of the doll) comes across as uncaring.  It is silly but it upset me so much, I cried and upset DS.  DS thought it was a real baby in the woods and became obsessed that I would leave him in the woods.  No thank you, that one also went into the trash.

I have another one that I am keeping about a little girl that is sent out on a shopping trip.  She is instructed to buy, amounst other things, nails, tacks, a hammer and a saw.  I laugh each time I read it because it is just so ridicuous.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#24 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 07:15 AM

I hate books that teach my daughter either that people won't listen to her or that she has to be endlessly nice.  So my top three most hated books...

The Giving Tree

Rainbow Fish

How do Dinosaurs Say I love you?  (the kids are beasts but the parents are great?  I don't think so!)

I also kind of hate Dr. Seuss.  I loved him as a kid but he gets on my nerves now.  Pete the Cat really irks me.  As does Dinosaurs Love Underpants. 

As mentioned above, I Love You Forever... made me cry as a kid and as an adult all I can wonder is why the parent can't learn to let go?  Creepy!

I also don't understand why so many children's books are gimmicks instead of stories?  My in-laws are always giving DD some book that is just a cute idea but no substance.  I get textures for young kids, shiny is fun and I LOVE illustrations but why all the gimmicky books? 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#25 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsley View Post
I also don't understand why so many children's books are gimmicks instead of stories?  My in-laws are always giving DD some book that is just a cute idea but no substance.  I get textures for young kids, shiny is fun and I LOVE illustrations but why all the gimmicky books? 

so they spend all their money at the bookfairs if/when they are in elementary school. 

#26 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 10:04 AM

Yeah... duh, consumerism.  Toddlers and young children don't have cash... but they have grandparents. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

so they spend all their money at the bookfairs if/when they are in elementary school. 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page