From the library this week! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 10-19-2011, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yeah, I'd be OK with them increasing overdue fees if they have to - and I say that as someone who pays them on a regular basis. :p In fact, I have to pay for a lost book next time I go in. A while back a lady from church lent us a whole box of kids' books - lots of them readers and school-type books from back in the 60s. Most of them were awful, and DD doesn't read yet (well, she's three!), but kept asking me to read her the readers. So we'd sit there with me droning "Mother's chair is red. Father's chair is blue. Mother has a blue coat. Father has a grey coat", and DD clearly thinking "Well, this is lame...".

So I went through them all and returned the lame ones to the lady. And then found out that I'd returned a reader-type book which DD picked up from the library, and which I specifically mentioned because it was so repetitive and boring. :p So I either have to ask the lady to go through the whole (huge) pile in search of it, or just pay up. I'm inclined to do the latter - it should be cheapish, because it was a small book, and it really isn't doing some other library-going kid out of a fantastic literary experience. :p I hate readers.

Anyway, I looked up the library policy changes on our local paper's website, and the article mentioned that a bunch of people are already kicking up a stink about it. So hopefully it'll be so unpopular it won't go through. I did leave a blistering message in the comments section. :)

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#32 of 54 Old 10-19-2011, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Anyway, I looked up the library policy changes on our local paper's website, and the article mentioned that a bunch of people are already kicking up a stink about it. So hopefully it'll be so unpopular it won't go through. I did leave a blistering message in the comments section. :)

Any chance that the same politicians and pundits that want to alter the library's budget and introduce library user fees have also complained about low literacy rates, the education level of the workforce, juvenile crime rates etc. Sometimes it helps to throw their own words back at them and show them how ridiculous and short-sighted some ideas are. Good luck fighting the proposals. 

#33 of 54 Old 10-19-2011, 04:36 PM

I know, right?! We don't even have a broadcasting fee here, so TV is absolutely free (well, once you buy the TV set). Reading has to compete with that. And yet we get plenty of moralising editorials about how Kids These Days are absorbing too much passive entertainment, blah blah blah... Now, charging $2 an episode for watching Shortland Street, I could get behind. :p

#34 of 54 Old 10-20-2011, 04:39 PM

Well, yay! Apparently people kicked up such a stink that the council backed off. :) No $2 lending fee. They're still cutting library hours and the book purchasing budget, but by much less than they originally planned; and they're increasing fines, which is annoying (because I tend to incur them!), but fair enough.

That's a relief! I really couldn't bring myself to pay $2 for a book... partly for financial reasons, and partly just for the principle of the thing!

#35 of 54 Old 10-21-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Well, yay! Apparently people kicked up such a stink that the council backed off. :) No $2 lending fee. They're still cutting library hours and the book purchasing budget, but by much less than they originally planned; and they're increasing fines, which is annoying (because I tend to incur them!), but fair enough.

That's a relief! I really couldn't bring myself to pay $2 for a book... partly for financial reasons, and partly just for the principle of the thing!

Yay, indeed! Good news. And credit to you and your fellow citizens for standing up and being heard. 

Oh, and I paid my own overdue fines at the library today......

#36 of 54 Old 10-21-2011, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

We picked up some board books for the kiddo today - 

Who Said Boo (A Lift the Flap Book) by Phyllis Root

Mangia, Mangia by Amy Wilson Sanger (I love this World Snacks series - I wish they'd do more!)

Good Night, Chicago by Adam Gamble & Joe Veno

There's a Cow in the Cabbage Patch by Stella Blackstone

The only one I have out for me currently that I'm slowly working through is The Orchard: A Memoir by Adele Crockett Robertson. It's good, it's just slow going. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#37 of 54 Old 11-05-2011, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

Since our last trip, several books made a happy return journey home:

"Swamp Angel" and "Dust Devil" by Anne Isaacs, told in a flawless tall-tale style.  Hilarious good adventures with a giant female protagonist.

"James Herriot's Treasury for Children"

For me (a rare occasion) I borrowed "Radical Homemakers" and read various pages.  In total agreement, so I just sent it back to the library.  There was a time when I would have read the whole book, nodding my head as my own views were expanded, reinforced, informed in great detail, but I just don't have the patience any more.  I am so glad someone wrote the book, though!

Also, I borrowed "Holy Shit" and "All Flesh is Grass" by one my favorite authors Gene Logsdon.  I have greatly enjoyed his previous books "The Contrary Farmer" and "At Nature's Pace".  His style is so casual and simple, it's like having him in your living room talking to you about this stuff, totally dominating the conversation but you never notice because his stories are so down-to-earth and compelling, and you just want to keep feeding him pie and percolated coffee so that he'll stay to talk.  

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#38 of 54 Old 11-05-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

For me (a rare occasion) I borrowed "Radical Homemakers" and read various pages.  In total agreement, so I just sent it back to the library.  There was a time when I would have read the whole book, nodding my head as my own views were expanded, reinforced, informed in great detail, but I just don't have the patience any more.  I am so glad someone wrote the book, though!

Same here - it's a very academically styled book and I just didn't have the time to dig into it properly when I had it a few weeks ago. I do want to try to go through it in it's entirety sometime.

For the kiddo, I could only find one decent one on Thanksgiving - Over the River and Through the Woods by Lydia Marie Child. 

For me, I'm in daydreaming about the future mode, so I got One Acre & Security: How to Live Off the Eart Without Ruining It by Bradford Angier, The Year of the Goat: 40,000 Miles and the Quest for Perfect Cheese by Margaret Hathaway and The Backyard Guide to Raising Farm Animals  by Gail Damerow.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#39 of 54 Old 11-05-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

For the kiddo, I could only find one decent one on Thanksgiving - Over the River and Through the Woods by Lydia Marie Child. 

Which illustrator?  There is one more recent one where the baby climbs out of the car and manages through various adventures to arrive at Grandfather's house, and Grandmother catches him in the Cap.  Very funny change from the literally illustrated editions.  Or annoying, depending on what kind of book you like!  (My girls, however, love it.)

#40 of 54 Old 12-11-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Which illustrator?  There is one more recent one where the baby climbs out of the car and manages through various adventures to arrive at Grandfather's house, and Grandmother catches him in the Cap.  Very funny change from the literally illustrated editions.  Or annoying, depending on what kind of book you like!  (My girls, however, love it.)

Not sure, but it was a purely traditional version. I want to find that one though; it sounds hilarious!

This week, we got a bunch of books for the kiddo - 

The Littlest Fir Tree by Margaret Wise Brown (A beautiful Christmas story; I like it so much better than Goodnight Moon.)

Urban Babies Wear Black by Michelle Sinclair Coleman & Natalie Dion

Foodie Babies Wear Bibs by Michelle Sinclair Coleman & Natalie Dion

Yum Yum Dim Sum by Amy Wilson Sanger (Love these books; I want to eventually own the entire series.)

Mangia Mangia by Amy Wilson Sanger

123 Chicago by Puck & Kevin Summers

The Golems Latkes by Eric A Kimmel & Aaron Jaskinski

For me, I've got out currently - 

The Gingerbread Architect by Susan Matheson & Lauren Chatman

Man in Black by Johnny Cash (It's good, and Cash was an amazing songwriter, but it's clear narrative writing isn't his forte.)

A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg

The Lobster Chronicles: Life on a Very Small Island by Linda Greenlaw (Just finished this and it was good, but not great. The last couple of chapters just kind of fizzled. She basically just started whining about wanting a man and realizing that's she forty something and forgot to have kids. Not much about lobstering in all that...)

#41 of 54 Old 12-11-2011, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

If you cook anything from Plenty, please let us know how it turns out. I've made a few Ottolenghi recipes from his earlier cookbook, titled oddly enough "Ottolenghi". They turned out so well that I have debated buying it, but I already own so many cookbooks that I've tried to resist. (In case you are interested, I made the Cauliflower fritters and the Chicken with za'tar and sumac and you can search on-line for the recipes). I heard that the recipes in Plenty wasn't quite as good, but the book does look exquisite. 

I cooked the peppered tofu which was excellent and I have now added to my repertoire.  I made a few other things  and they turned out well.  My opinion:  Some of the recipes need altering - either due to  difficult to find ingredients (difficult in my rural part of the world!) or because they use huge amounts of things (the tofu used 5 tb of pepper and 11 tb of butter!)  I would only buy the book if I were comfortable altering recipes.  The things I tried all came out well, and are different than the stuff I usually make or find in cookbooks, so that is good.  Lots of garlic, spices, chili,  lemons...this is food for foodies. 

The book  is broken down by vegetable and is vegetarian, but definitely not vegan.

I would take it out from the library before buying - it is not everyones cup of tea - but it is mine.  

#42 of 54 Old 12-11-2011, 05:14 PM

Some good ones in our current batch from the library:

Orangutan Tongs by Jon Agee (tongue twister poems that are really fun to read)

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin (I read this aloud to my 6 year old and almost-9-year old, and they really liked it.)

Zita the Space Girl by Ben Hatke (a graphic novel almost-9-year old DD read and loved.  She was really happy to learn a sequel is being published.)

#43 of 54 Old 12-12-2011, 11:36 AM

My current haul is mostly garden design books - we're moving in a month and our new house has enough space for a flower garden, which is something I haven't attempted before. The books are inspiring, but also slightly depressing because so many emphasise that the key to a good garden is, basically, MONEY - bricks, pergolas, raised beds, sunken gardens, statuary, urns, barbecue areas.... Oh well. I'm going for a cottage garden look, and that's not too expensive.

I also got out (just for kicks) "Who Wrote Shakespeare?", a humour book by a Kiwi writer called "An Asian At My Table", a book about EB White, and some books for DD. Also a DVD of Cinderella on Ice: it seemed Christmassy and she'll love it.

#44 of 54 Old 12-12-2011, 05:49 PM

I got The Heirloom Life Gardener by Jere & Emilee Gettle today, the owners of Baker Creek Seed Company. Or I should say, my husband took the baby to the library and they picked it up for me while I was working. Either way, I'm excited to read it. 

#45 of 54 Old 12-20-2011, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

still reading game of thrones, but i am on dance of dragons! 

i got stitch and bitch superstar knitting- now it's on my xmas list. 

for dd, we got kate and the beanstalk as we've been obsessing over "fee fi fo fum." 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#46 of 54 Old 01-04-2012, 03:57 PM

After the usual Christmas offerings (and a new one-- a picture-book version of A Christmas Carol by the illustrator of the Unfortunate Events series) we've borrowed some old favorites-- the Billy and Blaze books by CW Anderson.  Our favorite is Blaze and Thunderbolt.  I love these old stories about a boy and his pony, Blaze, and their adventures.  

Tried an abridged edition of Treasure Island (NC Wyeth illustrations) that my husband didn't want to put down.

Also, today I brought home a winner, Eddie's Kitchen, another in the Eddie's picture books (Tools, and Garden).  I like that they don't retool the British words (usually "mum").  These books have all been very fun, and always a bit of mischief from his little sister.

Mischief is still a popular theme, with babies and dogs being tops for laughs.  The original Star Wars movie made a reappearance.  It is on disc-two of only one edition I've found of New Hope.

Myself, I am attempting to read Tender at the Bone by former Gourmet editor Ruth Reichl.  Wonderful.  Makes me realize that when done well, autobiographies are my favorite books.

#47 of 54 Old 01-05-2012, 08:06 PM

I got the Four Season Harvest by Eliot Coleman. I need to be inspired to grow foodstuffs during the winter months. I feel like there's this whole world of fresh homegrown veg in the cold months that I'm missing out on. And I like his other books too. 

#48 of 54 Old 01-07-2012, 12:15 PM

Jude just got a ton of books (seriously, like 15 or so) for Christmas so this week we in't get him any. I got "Real Food: What to Eat and Why" for myself. We didn't go to the library for all of December because it was pretty cold and we were busy a lot but other ones we've gotten recently:

Mama God, Papa God
You Look Ridiclous, Said the Rinocerous to the Hippopotamus
Leonardo the Terrible Monster
Sally Goes to the Farm
All in a Day
Mama, Is It Summer Yet?
Three Wise Women
We Planted a Tree
The Story of Ping
Peter's Old House
When I Was Young in the Mountains
The Emperor's New Clothes
John, Paul, George, and Ben
How Yussel Caught the Gefilte Fish
You Are a Gift to the World

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#49 of 54 Old 01-08-2012, 01:51 AM

I got:

"Dear Cassandra"; an illustrated edition of selected letters from Jane Austen to her sister. Read it; awesome (of course!)

"A Truth Universally Acknowledged" - 33 essays about Jane Austen, including one by CS Lewis!

Tolkien and the Great War

1000 Steampunk Designs

Love Letters from Cell 92: The Correspondence Between Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Maria von Wedemeyer

Sweet Water and Bitter: The Ships that Stopped the Slave Trade

Mozart and the Whale

The Children History Forgot: Young Workers of the Industrial Age

Yeah, kinda didn't make it to the fiction section this month. :p I also have a Bill Bryson borrowed from a friend, three gardening books from another friend, and some theology books from Dad. Must try not to lose any of them when we move house on Saturday!

#50 of 54 Old 01-09-2012, 12:17 PM

Oh the fun of reading!!!   I just went to the library on Saturday and got the following:

2-hour Tarot - which is really nice overview of how to just read the cards vs. memorizing the meanings!

Urban Magick - I love this by Christopher Penczak especially after I finished BOS by Phyllis Curott

Pride & Prejudice - This has been on my reading list for a very long time and I will finish it orngbiggrin.gif

For the kiddos, 10 books from the kids section as I just browse what the staff has displayed on the shelves which is great! I'll have to look at the receipt to see what we picked out

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#51 of 54 Old 01-09-2012, 03:24 PM

Pride & Prejudice - This has been on my reading list for a very long time and I will finish it orngbiggrin.gif

(This was supposed to be a quote.  I hate when I get that editor!)

This was the only book I read for myself that after finishing the last page I flipped back to the beginning and started again.

A great companion book is "What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew"  (maybe I have the names reversed!)  It is a slim, dictionary-style book filled with all you need to know about 19th century England for the lovers of English novels.  It is a good enough read by itself, from cover to cover.

#52 of 54 Old 01-09-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:

A great companion book is "What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew"  (maybe I have the names reversed!)  It is a slim, dictionary-style book filled with all you need to know about 19th century England for the lovers of English novels.  It is a good enough read by itself, from cover to cover.

Oh, I have that book! I think I got if from The Book-of-the-Month Club a looong time ago. I'm not even sure if the BOMC even exists anymore. The book has lots of interesting info.....

#53 of 54 Old 01-09-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I cooked the peppered tofu which was excellent and I have now added to my repertoire.  I made a few other things  and they turned out well.  My opinion:  Some of the recipes need altering - either due to  difficult to find ingredients (difficult in my rural part of the world!) or because they use huge amounts of things (the tofu used 5 tb of pepper and 11 tb of butter!)  I would only buy the book if I were comfortable altering recipes.  The things I tried all came out well, and are different than the stuff I usually make or find in cookbooks, so that is good.  Lots of garlic, spices, chili,  lemons...this is food for foodies. 

The book  is broken down by vegetable and is vegetarian, but definitely not vegan.

I would take it out from the library before buying - it is not everyones cup of tea - but it is mine.  

Kathy, a belated thank you.... Somehow I missed your post. I was distracted a lot in December.....

I think I will check it out from the library. It sounds good and it's rare that I don't alter a recipe as I cook, either because I don't have an ingredient, prefer a different one or like to do things my own way!! 

#54 of 54 Old 01-21-2012, 10:26 AM

I got The Scandinavian Kitchen by Camilla Plum. For Little Man we got The Lorax by Dr. Suess, The Sleep Book by Dr. Suess and White Snow, Bright Snow by Alvin Tresselt & Roger Duvoisin.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page