From the library this week! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

if anyone's interested in doing this and keeping it going?  i know lots of us hit the library weekly (more or less) with our babes and for ourselves too.  i like to read things other people recommend and thought this was a good way to share and highlight the books that were "hits" from the ones we've checked out.  let's include our kid's ages, brief reviews, or relevent info too, maybe? 

so this week for us:

dd (21 mos) likes

circle dogs by kevin henkes -- i didn't think she would like it so much-- it seemed boring and not very colorful, but she keeps asking for it!  henkes is apparently a genius.

bones, bones, dinosaur bones by byron barton-- we're both VERY enthusiastic about this.  it's an intro to paleontology for really little ones.  plus it represents a variety of people working in the field and includes a few dinosaur names.  i love this and will probably buy a copy.

our nest by reeve lindbergh-- very pretty art and a sweet rhyme

for me

i finished ender's game.  meh. 

roseannearchy wasn't nearly as funny as roseanne is in person.  bossypants is better. 

for dh (i make library trips for him)

the gun by  chivers -- i can't review something i'm not reading, but it's basically an enourmous (496 pages!) book on the history of the ak-47, which may be of interest to other folks.  it got really good editorial reviews. 

play along with me reading mamas and daddies!  i need ideas!  <3

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 11:06 AM

Fun idea for a thread, hildare! We've got way too many books out from the library this week, so I'm going to focus on four picture books with really fun illustrations:

Harry and Horsie by Katie VanCamp is about a little boy who sneaks out of bed to go on an adventure in space with his stuffed horse. The retro illustrations make the book!

Next, Little Mouse's Big Secret is about a mouse who finds a cherry and buries it to hide it from his friends. He ends up sharing after all when his secret gets out. Sweet story, and really cute illustrations. I have to admit though, that my kids didn't like the illustrations as much as I did. They were bothered by all of the white space on the page, and wished the illustrations covered more of the page.

Bunny Days by Tao Nyeu was our next big hit. It is a collection of silly stories about a bunch of bunnies, a pair of goats who inadvertently cause trouble for them, and the bear who helps them with even sillier solutions. The artwork makes me think of fabric design, and is done in muted pastels. I wasn't sure my boys would be drawn to the art because of the color palette, but they loved the cute pictures.

Finally, Mimi's Dada Catifesto is the story of Mimi, a street cat who is an artist at heart, roaming the streets of Switzerland, presumably shortly after WWI. It's a fun introduction to Dadaism for kids. The kids probably won't totally understand what dadaism, but they'll have fun creating their own ready-made art, sound poem, and random-word poetry. And who knows, maybe when they sign up for Intro to Art History in college, some of it will come back to them. ;) We've taken this book out multiple times, because my kids love it so much.

ETA: Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones sounds terrific and right up our alley. I'm adding it to our list for next week. :)

Old 08-04-2011, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Sure, I'll play. 

DD15 yrs. has been re-reading a bunch of old favourites and taking things easy. She did branch out a little last week: 

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen, a coming-of-age middle school book. Very cute, easy read. 

Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty another coming-of-age book, this time set in high school. Deals with some tougher issues, including teen sex.

I read both of them too since there's nothing compelling my attention right now. I liked Sloppy Firsts. 

Hildare, I read Ender's Game many years ago. I didn't think it lived up to the amazing reviews and recommendations I'd heard about it. I was a little disappointed. 

Old 08-05-2011, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

We took a week off from the library, company in town...

However I have a quasi- Hitchcock movie challenge going on.

DS10 is reading "Saltwater Taffy"  by Eric Delabarre.  Its not my favorite but he seems to like it.

Tuesday next week we DS and I have a hot date scheduled for the library.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 08-05-2011, 05:17 PM

Borrowed from the library this week for my nook:

What the Dead Know, by Laura Lippman -- story of two teenagers who go missing from a mall in the 1970's, and what happens when a woman shows up and 30 years later and claims to be one of the missing girls.

The Wise Man's Fear, by Rothfuss -- second in the Kingkiller chronicles.

From my kids' pilethat we really enjoyed:

Inverso Palazzo -- story book about an architect's apprentice that uses escher-like pictures

Looking Like Me, Myers -- I LOVED this and will probably get a copy for my classroom.  It's about a boy who realizes that he is many different things -- a son, a writer, an athlete, etc.

Jacques and Spock, Slater -- a story about a pair of socks

Ginger and Petunia, Polacco -- a pig steps into her mistresses' shoes for a week when she is sent to London.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:31 PM

Me:  A Discovery of Witches.  Good - fluffy - long.  Lots of people love it but I am just liking it.  By Harkness

I also read She's Come Undone by Lamb for bookclub lately.  A little dark, real, well written, somewhat inspiring.  Good read.

DD (12) :  one of the Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging books by Rennison.  Hilarious, British.  Teen fic

DS (15) A Dean Koonzt graphic novel and a history of Japan.  

DD (8)  still making her way through the Geronimo Stilton's.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:50 PM

Me: The Uses of Enchantment by Bruno Bettelheim

It's about classic fairy tales and analyzes a bunch of them in Freudian terms. Really interesting and fun, but I love reading that psycho-analysis kind of stuff.

DD (2): Little Miss Spider at Sunny Patch School by David Kirk

and several board books that the names are escaping me right now. Simple stuff, she likes books with pictures of animals and big kids, and whatnot.

Happy housewife dishes.gif and SAHM to a beautiful 3 year old DD luxlove.gif and a July 2012 DS! babyf.gifMarried to my best friend since 9/5/07 partners.gif

I love to  sewmachine.gif, photosmile2.gif, and reading.gif.  We cd.gif and goorganic.jpg whenever possible.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:17 AM

Me (e-book) Moonwalking w/Einstein

DS's -- several Frances books, Frog Rex

Old 08-29-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

we must all go on the weekend! 

dd (22 mos) monsters with machines.  fantastic.  i've had to read it 8 times since day before yesterday though.  (that was the highlight)

a construction alphabet (a good abc book)

me: finished the magicians, can't wait to read the next one.  it was pretty good.  have the warmth of other suns, nonfiction for me and dh to both read.  it had amazing reviews and is supposed to be terriffic. 

Old 09-21-2011, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

So my oldest daughter, 6.5, has recently got into Star Wars.  I got lucky and found the original release on the bonus disk of "Episode IV: A New Hope".  I was ecstatic and had thought that Lucas wasn't going to release it.  I was consigned to my girls seeing the annoying new version.  So, yay!  So happy!  I was 8 yo when that movie came out, and even after seeing it a bazillion times, I still get the chills when the "20th Century" music segues into the title sequence and the music plays and the story is told..... Ah, memories.....

Anyway, she and my husband walk into the "big library" and lo and behold!  An entire display shelf of STAR WARS BOOKS!  She was beyond happy and brought home:

Star Wars Cookbook II: Darth Malt and More Galactic Recipes I think I'll make the "Qui-Gon Jinn-ger Snaps" which are made into sandwich cookies with apricot jam.  "Darth Double Dogs" makes pigs-in-a-blanket with wienies that end up looking like Darth Maul's double light saber.  She likes the "Watto-melon Cubes"  even though she hates watermelon.  "Amidala Challah"?  The bummer is that she's allergic to 90% of the food in this book.

Star Wars: Epic Battles She hasn't seen "Empire Strikes Back" and didn't know that DV was Luke's dad.  Well, it didn't really *spoil* it, it just made the realization come a little earlier.

Stacks and stacks of other books made it home that I haven't had time to read to them.  This book made it back:

The Wild Wombat by Udo Weigelt, about the frightened imaginings of the zoo animals upon hearing that a wild wombat coming to the zoo, which in the end turns out to be sweet and gentle.  This is a perennial favorite.

Zoo in the Sky

Kingdom of the Sun

Once Upon a Starry Night

Zodiac: Celestial Circle of the Sun, all by Jacqueline Mitton about constellations and planets, beautifully illustrated by Christina Balit.

My oldest has been poring over The Kingfisher Illustrated Horse and Pony Encyclopedia and dreaming of owning, in order, a Lusitano, a Fresian, etc etc etc.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 09-21-2011, 01:57 PM

Old 09-21-2011, 09:19 PM

OMG (OMG I just typed "OMG"!  OMG!)  She will *love* this!  I've been trying to get her to try origami for a while now. Haven't revisited that one for a few months.  This is just perfect, though I think *I'll* end up doing most of the folding!  ("LOL")  Ha!  I feel like...OMG...like a teenager LOL!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 09-23-2011, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

aaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am probably more excited about that than i should be too.  this is looking like the birthday cards everyone will be getting from me from now on.  thanks for sharing that!

Old 09-23-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

OMG (OMG I just typed "OMG"!  OMG!)  She will *love* this!  I've been trying to get her to try origami for a while now. Haven't revisited that one for a few months.  This is just perfect, though I think *I'll* end up doing most of the folding!  ("LOL")  Ha!  I feel like...OMG...like a teenager LOL!

Ahhhhh.....silly me!  It's not origami after all.  I just reserved both books at our library.  I'll have to forewarn her that it's a story or she might not want to read it.  It sounds wonderful.  I also reserved the author's "Horton" book.  Thanks for the introduction, I hope she'll like them!  I see they have an origami DV instructions.  I hope they will be included in the book as well as online.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:55 PM

I tried the origami Vader from the instructions on the page - it worked well.  Easy for a beginner, I think!

Old 09-29-2011, 08:47 AM

I have been loving books illustrated by Christina Balit, like the astronomy books I mentioned earlier.  We've also been reading the Twelve Labors of Hercules illustrated by her as well.  Usually I'm not as fond of stylistic illustrations for children's books, but these are wonderful.  I found so many by searching at our library.  It's a fun way to discover books you might not have come across otherwise.

Though we've had a sick week and have yet to make it to the library this week, we are still thoroughly enjoying Garfield by the Pound.

Oops! by Arthur Geisert, about how spilt milk managed to take an entire house down.  His other books have been a highlight recently as well.

Mainly we've been having "extra video days" and have found some gems.  DD1 likes nature videos: Relentless Enemies, Treasures of the Great Barrier Reef, Fellowship of the Whales, and Triumph of Life.  Schoolhouse Rock and Sword in the Stone just headed back after maxing out the borrowing limit.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:19 AM

I'm reading Unquenchable...about America's water crisis. I'm learning some cool and scary stuff.

Dh is reading Louise Marley's new book.... The Brahms Deception.

DD is reading God Behaving Badly by David Lamb.

Yep, I got all these from our library.. we have a great online hold system.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Sorry I forgot about this sweet thread

DS 11- Eragon (sp)  and Origami

Me- Transitions by Chaz Bono - I'm crying with every page.    I also have the new Linwood Barclay book waiting to be read.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 10-01-2011, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
bossypants is better.

Hey, I just read that. Yeah, it was neat! Only I'd never actually noticed her scar, so when she was all "I'm not gonna talk about my scar" it kinda threw me. :p 30 Rock is great.

I've been meaning to read Ender's Game for years.

I can't remember all the books I got out of the library this time - the baby was crying in the mei tai so it was a flying trip, and I just grabbed a few books off the shelf without looking at them too closely! But I've just finished reading a fascinating book about the Faberge eggs. (And then we watched Ocean's 12, where they steal one; and they were mentioned on an episode of The Big Bang Theory we watched tonight. Random!) And now I'm reading "Waxing Mythical", a biography of Madame Tussaud, which is also fascinating. Pre-Revolutionary France was a crazy, crazy place.

DD (3) has gotten some good kids' books out recently - by accident of course. She just picks them randomly and I vet them for too high or low a word count, or obvious unsuitability. Last time we got "Come Over to My House" by Dr Seuss, which was great; as was "Room on the Broom", by the author of The Gruffalo (which, come to think of it, I haven't read!). Just really delightful, swingy rhymes, both books - those authors really know their way around the English language, you know?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

dh just finished 1491, and he raved about it...

we've got game of thrones to read, both of us, if i ever have time.

dd (22 mos) has renewed my love of this author, steve jenkins, with what do you do with a tail like this?

and ruth heller's chickens aren't the only ones.  i realized that there are other books like that by the same author so they're going in the ILL queue. 

Old 10-03-2011, 10:15 AM

1491 is on my ladies book club list for November. Glad its a good read.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

This is a great thread!

My son is only 2.5 weeks old, and we have a lot of books for him at home, but I did check out a music cd to play for him this week - Kids in the City by Laura Doherty.

For myself, I just finished The Dirty Life: A Memoir of Farming, Food & Love by Kristin Kimball. It's the story of an NYC journalist/writer who falls for a farmer and how they build their life together, It was pretty good and has recipes in the back. 

I just started The Orchard: A Memoir by Adele Crockett Robertson; a memoir of a young woman who tries to save her family's apple orchard during the Great Depression. I also started Radical Homemakers: Reclaiming Domesticity From a Consumer Culture by Shannon Hayes; an examination into the choice to be domestic and focus on home life. Both are pretty good. 

For cookbooks, I got Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever With More Than 400 Easy-to-Make Recipes by Diane Phillips. I've flagged at least fifty recipes to try!

I also checked out The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved : Inside America's Underground Food Movements by Sandor Ellix Katz but I haven't started it yet.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 10-14-2011, 07:33 PM

We've returned to some gentler favorites this week, a nice respite from monsters, knights and warriors, blood guts and battles.

"Little Farm by the Sea", based on the real Small Holdings Farm.  The pictures are the stuff of dreams for a kid wanting to grow up to be a farmer.

"Valentine" by Carol Carrick, a story of a little girl and a bum lamb.

"Why Is My Cat Doing That?" by Sarah Heath is a fun and very practical guide to cats, focusing on their language and habits.

Several books by Marcia Williams.  I thought her comic-book style wouldn't be scary enough for my monster-loving 6.5yo dd, but she loves all these, even "Tales From Shakespeare".  "Sinbad the Sailor" seemed "too silly" for her.  I loved all the old Sinbad movies as a kid, so this was a bit of a disappointment.

And since we still love swords and knights and all that stuff, this won her over:

"King Arthur: The Sword in the Stone" by Hudson Talbott, an abridged retelling of the classic with beautiful illustrations.  But why is Arthur always depicted with blonde with blonde hair, like a northern Alexander?  I thought Celts had dark hair and eyes..... I suppose this storybook Arthur barely resembles the historic figure in nearly every way, why not make him look like the Golden Boy?

She loved all the gold and jewels in the paintings, especially on the sword.  Still such a girl in so many ways, despite her pronouncements otherwise! 

Old 10-14-2011, 11:41 PM

I have:

-The Fry Chronicles, Stephen Fry's autobiography (well, one of them). Partly brilliant, partly kinda obnoxious... much like Stephen Fry, astonishingly enough. I want to get hold of the "prequel", Moab is my Washpot.

-Burton on Burton, Tim Burton's sort-of-autobiography. I'm not sure I'll finish it; it's not very well written.

-Wishful Drinking, Carrie Fisher's autobiography. (Yeah, I found the "Film and TV" section!) Very good.

-Shakespeare's Kitchen, a collection of short stories I picked up randomly. No idea what it's about.

-50 Bags that Changed the World.

-Oxygen, a novel about an anaesthetist who gets sued when a girl dies during a routine operation. OK until the lame twist ending.

-An Edible History of Humanity. I'm partway through this, and it'd be interesting if I hadn't already read several Michael Pollan-type books covering similar ground.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:08 AM

I've been lurking a bit, but if I may... I'd love to join you ladies? read.gif

For the boys - we have some halloween themed books, and my favorite has been: Dear Dracula. Warning though - it is a graphic novel just very short and for kids.

Also  Klimt and his Cat, and it's fluffy about Klimt and his artwork all through the eyes of his cat, Katzue.  I love this one, mostly because of the artwork!! 

Finally we're making our way through the Secrets of Droon Series (we're on book 15 now!) and DS1 loves it, but wants more pictures :)

For me my fluff reading:

The Other Queen - I'm in love with Phillipa Gregory's various series (the Boleyn ones, Elizabeth/Mary stuff, the Cousins' War)

The Art of Racing in the Rain - It was a read from a book club that my friends host back in Seattle and I'm slowly making my way through their list.  I haven't cracked it yet, but looks good.

I just finished Midwives and that was a quite good too.

Non-Fluff reading:

I'm digging through the Self-Sufficent Life and how to live it though the part about slaughtering animals was a bit graphic for DH, but well detailed if I ever choose to go down that path

Baking Illustrated - this is a FABULOUS book to have and I have many recipes that I love in it already.  It's been great to learn to bake with it

The Wooden Spoon Book of Home-Style Soups, Stews, & Chowders  - with fall approaching, I've been warned by DH that I must make yummier soups that last year.  I haven't attempted anything from here yet.  Hopefully this weekend I might try a recipe.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 10-18-2011, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

For the kiddo this week we picked up Sixteen Runaway Pumpkins by Diane Ochiltree and Ollie's Halloween by Olivier Dunrea. 

For myself I got Taste of Home Freezer Pleasers and The Best Make Ahead Recipes by Cook's Illustrated.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 10-18-2011, 06:38 PM

UGH. A friend just informed me that the council is considering making changes to our town's library system - as in, reduced opening hours, and TWO DOLLARS to borrow an adult fiction book.

There is no way I can afford that! I often get out twenty books at a time, once or twice a month. I really, really hope this doesn't go through. Isn't the whole point of a library to encourage reading, make it an affordable and attractive hobby compared to other forms of entertainment (like, say, TV, which is free here - not even a broadcasting fee!), provide literature to the impoverished masses, etc?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

UGH. A friend just informed me that the council is considering making changes to our town's library system - as in, reduced opening hours, and TWO DOLLARS to borrow an adult fiction book.

shake.gifhopmad.gifdisappointed.gif  I hope that's not true!

Old 10-19-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

There is no way I can afford that! I often get out twenty books at a time, once or twice a month. I really, really hope this doesn't go through. Isn't the whole point of a library to encourage reading, make it an affordable and attractive hobby compared to other forms of entertainment (like, say, TV, which is free here - not even a broadcasting fee!), provide literature to the impoverished masses, etc?

The reduced open hours I can see, the charging people per book loaned I cannot  (goodness, I hope I am right).  I can see increases in other fees if they are hurting for money, sadly.  It is sad, because library fees and fines are a drop in the bucket compared to library costs - yet we lose patrons every years to fees and fines.  

In any event.....

I have:

Claire Dewitt and the City of the Dead by Sara Gran.  It is a mystery, set in New Orleans post storm, and it is fascinating.  It has elements of typical mysteries, but is well written, and the city of New Orleans plays a central role in the book.

Beach House by Jane Green.  Fairly fluffy book with several storylines converging on Nantucket. 

I also have out Plenty - a book primarily on vegetables with luscious pictures.  here is the cover to drool at:

http://www.amazon.com/Plenty-Vibrant-Recipes-Londons-Ottolenghi/dp/1452101248/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319027863&sr=1-1

Old 10-19-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

The reduced open hours I can see, the charging people per book loaned I cannot  (goodness, I hope I am right).  I can see increases in other fees if they are hurting for money, sadly.  It is sad, because library fees and fines are a drop in the bucket compared to library costs - yet we lose patrons every years to fees and fines.  

In any event.....

I have:

Claire Dewitt and the City of the Dead by Sara Gran.  It is a mystery, set in New Orleans post storm, and it is fascinating.  It has elements of typical mysteries, but is well written, and the city of New Orleans plays a central role in the book.

Beach House by Jane Green.  Fairly fluffy book with several storylines converging on Nantucket. 

I also have out Plenty - a book primarily on vegetables with luscious pictures.  here is the cover to drool at:

http://www.amazon.com/Plenty-Vibrant-Recipes-Londons-Ottolenghi/dp/1452101248/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319027863&sr=1-1

I think charging fees to borrow is a terrible idea. It goes against everything a public library represents. I would be okay with increasing overdue fines (even though I just returned an overdue book this morning and dropped it in the return box rather than pay up since I had to choose between coffee and redeeming my sins...lost my bank card, long story........) 

That Sara Gran book sounds really interesting, thanks for the tip. 

If you cook anything from Plenty, please let us know how it turns out. I've made a few Ottolenghi recipes from his earlier cookbook, titled oddly enough "Ottolenghi". They turned out so well that I have debated buying it, but I already own so many cookbooks that I've tried to resist. (In case you are interested, I made the Cauliflower fritters and the Chicken with za'tar and sumac and you can search on-line for the recipes). I heard that the recipes in Plenty wasn't quite as good, but the book does look exquisite. 

User Tag List