Do you still read to your older children? Need some book suggestions for read aloud books. And...what are your 9yos reading? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My girls (8&9) still love to be read to.  I have a bunch of books that I've been reading to them over the years but, I think we're ready for something more challenging, interesting and age appropriate. 

Any recommendations for read aloud books for older kids?

And while we're at it, what are your 9 year olds reading?  My DD pretty much only reads Nancy Drew these days but, she wants to branch out. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

If they haven't read or heard the Harry Potter books yet, those would be a great choice.  The Narnia books, too. 

Here are some others my 8 1/2 year old has enjoyed as read-alouds in the past year:

The Silver Crown - Robert C. O'Brien

The Wind Boy - Ethel Cook Eliot

The Egypt Game - Zilpha Keatley Snyder

Ginger Pye - Eleanor Estes

the Silverwing series - Kenneth Oppel

The Mysterious Benedict Society series - Trenton Lee Stewart

And some I read when she was younger that would also be great (probably even better) for 8-9 year olds:

the May Bird series - Jodi Lynn Anderson

Ronia the Robber's Daughter - Astrid Lindgren

Coraline - Neil Gaiman

the Inkheart series - Cornelia Funke

The Jungle Book

A Little Princess

The Secret Garden

My DD doesn't read all that well yet, but she absolutely loved the Bone graphic novels when I read them to her this past year, and I think she's almost at the point where she could read them herself.  Those would be a great for a lot of 9 year olds.  (I didn't suggest them as read-alouds, because I think it's kind of annoying to read comics/graphic novels aloud.)

Old 08-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would recommend books by Shannon Hale starting with The Goose Girl. There are three books in this collection that go together. 

http://www.amazon.com/Goose-Girl-Books-Bayern/dp/1582349908

I am lazy and tired at night, so my girls enjoy books on CD from the library. I have found some neat ones. Favorites have been Colibri by Ann Cameron, Sahara Special by Esma Raji Codell, A Step From Heaven (can't remember author), Stone Fox (can't remember author), and The Year of the Dog by Grace Lin, 

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 08-09-2011, 07:25 PM

The Anne of Green Gables series is good, as are the Little House books. When my kids are older I also plan to read them CS Lewis. Afraid I don't have any contemporary recommendations.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
Old 08-09-2011, 07:35 PM

Narnia? The Phantom Tollbooth? Noel Streatfeild? Anastasia Krupnik, and other Lois Lowries?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hilary McKay - the Casson family series (Saffy's Angel, Indigo's Star, Permanent Rose etc.) 

Garth Nix - The Keys to the Kingdom series (Mister Monday, etc.) 

Phyllis Reynolds Naylor - the Alice prequels (Starting with Alice etc.), and the earlier Alice books (once she hits middle school, she starts incorporating "mature" themes and includes some sex ed., which you may or may not want to deal with) 

Jeanne Birdsall - The Penderwicks (there are 2 or 3 books now)

Airborn, Skybreaker and Starclimber by Ken Oppel

Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 AM

My 8-YO DS still prefers to be read picture books when we read together.  He reads chapter books on his own.  We have recently read a lot of Caldecott books.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:57 AM

Have you read her any of the Marguerite Henry books? Or Trixie Belden? I also might try Madeline L'Engle.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:11 AM

Some of DS’s  favourites   were:

The Fudge series by Judy Blume

The Kids of the Polk Street School series by Patricia really Giff

The Hank Zipzer series by Henry Winkler

Old 08-17-2011, 11:00 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

The Magician's Elephant is a FABULOUS book for reading out loud. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 08-18-2011, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thought of another - The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jaqueline Kelly. It might be a bit of a stretch for the younger girl. 

Old 08-25-2011, 01:38 PM

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate Di Camillo. Don't be put off by it being about a toy rabbit - it is a fascinating, beautiful and moving story. REad it to my boys when they were 9 and 6 - we all loved it!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:23 PM

I get bored reading picture books. So, we have plenty of thse on shelves for them t read themselves and sometimes we will read one as a family from the public library. But I have been reading chapter books for years, no matter the age. Everyone from my two yr old to my 10 yr old sits and listens. :) We began with the good ol classics like Charlottes web, Cricket In Times Square, Hiedi, secret Garden, Wind In The Willows, etc... Then read through the Nanrnia series and the Hobbit series. We are currnetly reading the BFG by Roald Dahl (the guy he wrote Charlie and the Chocolate factory...highly rec. all his books1) <3 they enjoy the Harry Potter books too. Its a lovely practice, reading as a family. PPl are often shocked I can get all 5 to sit still, sometimes for an hour or more. But its become second nature to them. :) OH! The Little Prince. My FAVORITE! Im just sad I didnt find this treasure of a book til I was 24.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:25 PM

My other fav I saw above just now. The Phantom tollbooth. Twas my fav as a child. :) Im on a hunt for that one for our next family read! Thanks for the reminder Smokering!

Old 08-25-2011, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Zoo-Bryan-Chick/dp/B004F9OV6G/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

The Secret Zoo- Bryan Chick  I think there is a 2nd one as well.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 08-25-2011, 07:25 PM

We're still mostly into picture books at my house-my kids are three and five-but we've read the first 7 or 8 books in the "Magic Treehouse" series to my daughter and she really enjoys them. I'm thinking about trying something like "The Neverending Story" or one of the Roald Dahl books next. 

Eva, Tired Single Mama of Hurricane Bella~3/06 and Boy Bug Silas~7/08 fencing.gif

delayedvax.gifintactlact.gifcd.gif

Old 09-22-2011, 10:07 AM

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin

A Cricket in Times Square by George Selden

the Bunnicula books by James Howe (these are hilarious, if a wee bit spooky at times)

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli—one of my favorite books ever

books by Sharon Creech

Little House on the Prairie series (i like reading these aloud so i have a chance to explain parts that could be hard to process independently, such as the implications of moving west onto Native American land, references to church etc.)

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
Old 09-22-2011, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Our kids are 7 and 10 and we still read every night. I suspect we'll be doing this for a while. It's a great way to cuddle and be together before bedtime. My sister and BIL read to their kids through high school.

The World According to Humphrey + 5 follow-up books -- really cute books about a classroom hamster and how he learns about humans (and how humans learn from him).

Ivy and Bean series.

Anything by Beverly Cleary -- Ramona the Pest is a good one to start with (I like all the Ramona books); The Mouse and the Motorcycle + 2 follow up books are great too

Clementine + a couple of follow up books

Besty and Tacy, Betsy, Tacy & Tib + 1 or 2 of the follow up books

11 Birthdays

Charlotte's Web

Mr. Popper's Penguins (NOTHING like the movie -- a much better story).

My daughter likes the American Girl series (they're decent history, despite the doll tie in)

Dear America Diaries -- also historical, but a bit higher level

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Masterpiece by Elise Broach

Small Steps: the year I got polio (non fiction; my son read it for his Battle of the Books and really liked it)

The City of Ember?

Are they ready for Harry Potter? We started that with ds when he was just barely 10, and dd (7) glommed onto them and read them all too.

Books my kids liked but I was so-so about reading:

Katie Kazoo series

Boxcar Children are OK too -- that's all ds read in 3rd grade so I got really tired of them (they're quite predictable, but decent little mysteries)

Animal Ark

A to Z mysteries

Magic Treehouse series (easy reads, good first step into chapter books, they'll learn some history, but very predictable)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 09-22-2011, 05:56 PM

I just read Swallows and Amazons to my kids (8 1/2 and 5 1/2) and it was a big hit.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:44 PM

I would second a lot of these books.  When I was 9 my mom read me Little Women and I loved it.  I also loved The Indian in the Cupboard series at that age.

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

Old 10-01-2011, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I definitely second the Little House recommendations! Great series. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 10-03-2011, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

i haven't read to dd since she was 4. at the end of the day if i tried to read i would fall asleep and dd would be wide awake. so i stopped and switched to story telling. the moth radio kind - which means real life experiences.

dd is a branden mull fan and is devouring everything he writes.

a couple of the classics she enjoyed were heidi and secret garden. 

she tried the lemony snicker earlier but found them too dark. she wants to try them again and see how she feels this time. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 10-12-2011, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

My 12 year old is reading Gregor the Overlander (the Underland Chronicles) to her 8 year old sister.  The middle school encourages reading together as a family, but I haven't gotten in on it yet.  I might read the Hobbit to them.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:16 PM

What about the original Wizard of Oz books?

The One Hundred and One Dalmatians by Dodie Smith was a definite childhood favorite of mine. Wayyyy better than the Disney movie!

Happy housewife dishes.gif and SAHM to a beautiful 3 year old DD luxlove.gif and a July 2012 DS! babyf.gifMarried to my best friend since 9/5/07 partners.gif

I love to  sewmachine.gif, photosmile2.gif, and reading.gif.  We cd.gif and goorganic.jpg whenever possible.

User Tag List