Eerywhere Babies by Susan Meyers (ages 1 to about 6) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-13-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just wanted to share this book that my daughter and I found at the library this week. When I first read through it, I didn't much pay attention (I'm pretty sick and it's hard to be eager when you're trying not to throw up 24/7 greensad.gif ) and didn't notice the pictures, but today we were using the amazingly detailed illustrations to play seek-and-find.

This book is all about diversity. It's about how babies everywhere are cared for. There are babies in slings and babies in strollers, babies in car seats and bucket seats and backpacks. Some babies are held and some babies are in cribs. There are babies breastfeeding and babies bottle feeding. What really struck me as awesome were the multi-ethnic families and diverse couples. There is an inter-racial lesbian couple snuggled in bed with a baby in a cradle and what appears to be a gay couple,  but without a child with them, so they could just be best buddies walking down the street with an arm around each other.

The illustrations are really beautiful. If you're a hardcore "we don't read books with bottles" kind of family, maybe not for you, but if you like all diversity, this book is wonderful and the message is so sweet. And of course, DD LOVES looking at all of the babies.

Also, if you are able to find it, our library carries another cute book called "Contemplating Your Bellybutton" by Jun Nanao. It shows a nude mother giving birth to her baby which she pulls out and lifts up herself and breastfeeding is openly shown in the book. There are cute but educational pictures with nudity and it talks all about bellybuttons and how we got them, plus detailed illustrations of baby growing inside of the mother's tummy. Very adorable!

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#2 of 3 Old 08-13-2011, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

we love it too, i got it as a gift when dd was born and the kids just adore it! the illustrations are just too cute imo.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#3 of 3 Old 08-13-2011, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That's a great book. I've given it as a gift many times.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page