well written books for me suggestions please - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-06-2011, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

i read a lot of non fiction.

but i really do enjoy fiction a lot. however its very  hard for me to find really well written books - where the language is just so beautiful. 

i recently found a book that i cried over because the language was sooo beautiful - The elegance of the hedgehog by muriel barbery. i was shocked recently to discover it was a translation from french. the translator Alison Anderson did a fantastic job. 

gosh she is a kid too. born in 69.

i need some good quality fiction.

suggestions please?!!!

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#2 of 11 Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The beauty of language is so subjective, but I'll take a stab at it with some of the books I love for their language. This is a mix of English-language books and lit-in-trans.

- Anything by Tatiana Tolstaya (from Russian)

- Desert Memories by Ariel Dorfman (from Spanish - this is non-fiction, about miners in the Chilean desert, but it reads like fiction - a wonderful book with haunting imagery)

- Snow by Orhan Pamuk (from Turkish) (I've heard from native Turkish speakers that the language in the original Turkish is clumsy and clunky - but in English? Gorgeous. The book is very slow moving, though, so if you want something with a lively pace, this isn't it.)

- Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (from Spanish)

- The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov (from Russian)

- Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie (English)

-The Commoner  by John Burnham Schwartz (English - I wouldn't say either this book or the previous are great books, but the language and imagery in each is beautiful.)

Well, that's my go at it, mostly lit in trans, I guess. I hope you find something you like. :)

#3 of 11 Old 09-07-2011, 08:34 AM

Hey, DD is reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog. I'll have to snaffle it from her when she is done, thanks for the review. 

I hesitate to make recommendations, since I haven't read it and so it can't guide my suggestions, but how about J.M. Coetzee?

I enjoy reading Michael Ondaatje, but unlike most people I preferred In the Skin of the Lion to The English Patient. I think he has a new novel out now. 

#4 of 11 Old 09-07-2011, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

I hesitate to make recommendations, since I haven't read it and so it can't guide my suggestions, but how about J.M. Coetzee?

oh i am breathless. someone else who knows who he is. joy.gifi love his books and have read most of them. my particular fav. is the life and times of Michael K. i think its my all time fav. cant say why - but that book, the writing and content moves me deeply. my copy is falling to pieces. 

TY OnZ thanks for the suggestions. there are some i havent read or am unfamiliar from your list. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#5 of 11 Old 09-08-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Hey, DD is reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog. I'll have to snaffle it from her when she is done, thanks for the review. 

I enjoy reading Michael Ondaatje, but unlike most people I preferred In the Skin of the Lion to The English Patient. I think he has a new novel out now. 

Ahhh...we're all on the same page, because I was thinking Coetzee, too, but I've been a little tired of his dirty old man shtick lately. ;)

Let us know what you pick to read and whether you end up liking it!

#6 of 11 Old 09-08-2011, 07:01 PM

I am very picky about fiction. Sometimes I get halfway through and have to stop because the writing is just so blah that I can't finish. I am reading The Last Brother by Nathacha Appanah. Its set during ww2. Its about a little boy named Raj living in poverty with his mother, two brothers, and an abusive father. 'An older man gives voice and remembrance to his younger self, bringing to vivid life a childhood marked by brutality, separation, and death, but also cunning, connection, and survival.' Rick Simonson, from the back book cover. This book is so beautiful, the writing is amazing.

Happiness despite misery is a great victory, I think...

caffix.gifSingle coffee loving and making mom to fencing.gifds, age 12, hamster.jpg dd, age 10, dog2.gif dd, age 7, flowerkitty.giftigress, cat.gifquinn, hyena.gifblack cat, and wool.gif beatrice the spider. Yeeehawww!!!

#7 of 11 Old 09-09-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post

Ahhh...we're all on the same page, because I was thinking Coetzee, too, but I've been a little tired of his dirty old man shtick lately. ;)

LOL, I know what you mean. Isn't it awful when there's a disconnect between the writing and the actual content of a book...it makes me more than a little antsy. I haven't actually read any Coetzee since Disgrace, although I have Diary of a Bad Year in my TBR pile.  

#8 of 11 Old 09-09-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:

LOL, I know what you mean. Isn't it awful when there's a disconnect between the writing and the actual content of a book...it makes me more than a little antsy. I haven't actually read any Coetzee since Disgrace, although I have Diary of a Bad Year in my TBR pile.  

Too funny - Disgrace is the last one I've read, too. It's a great book, but I think that is the one that did me in! ;)

#9 of 11 Old 09-09-2011, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you liked the Elegance of the Hedgehog , I think you might like "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time"  It has the same feel.

#10 of 11 Old 09-23-2011, 08:40 AM

I would suggest "The Sixth Extinction" an environmental novel by D. Leonard Freeston. Publisher's Weekly stated "“Canadian Freeston’s first novel shares many traits with the work of such grand adventure writers as Edgar Rice Burroughs and H. Rider Haggard, including … outsized human figures and animals of heroic proportions; and improbable but entertaining quests.”

#11 of 11 Old 09-26-2011, 08:50 PM

Snowflower and the Secret Fan. I loved that book.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page