Reveal! Sexy (or not) book characters you'd sleep with. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 10-03-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
lol.gif

Inspired by this article I came across:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/24/sexy-book-characters-_n_883237.html#s297181&title=Zooey_Glass_from

The Huffington piece there lists some unpredictable characters and leaves off some obvious choices, seems to me. Scarlett O'Hara but no Rhett Butler? The guy from the book Choke? No Mr Rochester??

Edited to add Professor Bhaer from Little Women. Not sexy (except that Gabriel Byrne played him in the most recent movie mischievous.gif ) but sooo appealing. And I swear my inspiration was the book, not the movie. I read the book repeatedly when I was a girl, but the movie came out when I was 27.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#2 of 65 Old 10-03-2011, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

So what book characters light your fire? Try to think of those who you fell in love with prior to having seen the character on screen. For example I didn't list V from V for Vendetta, because I only learned of him from the movie. Hugo Weaving's voice...

#3 of 65 Old 10-03-2011, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Ouch!  I was going to say Dmitri Karamozov, but only if he looks like Yul Brynner (sp?).  Oooooh.... KillJoy!  I'll give this one a little more thought.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 65 Old 10-03-2011, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Jonah, the narrator of "Cat's Cradle", LOL.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 65 Old 10-08-2011, 05:47 AM

...  not a character, but i have the most major, intense history nerd crush on benjamin franklin.  but mainly because of reading his work. 

i also kinda think ishmael is sorta hot... and starbuck.. and in my imagination, queequeg's tattoos are pretty sexy.. just drop me off on the boat and i'll hang with them all.  but i may have mistakenly read the book during some formative adolescent years. 

and.. Brom Bones from sleepy hollow.. cause he was so BAD. 

and the robert jordan from FWTBT, cause a man who can blow things up is always sorta sexy. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#6 of 65 Old 10-08-2011, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Aha! For Whom the Bell Tolls.  Took me a minute.

#7 of 65 Old 10-08-2011, 11:06 PM

LOL, what a fun thread.  

Severus Snape.  Yep.  His kind of dark aloofness is just so appealing--LOL.

hildare and rebecca_n like this.

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#8 of 65 Old 10-11-2011, 08:56 AM

Jamie from Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. *blush*
#9 of 65 Old 10-11-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Well, Snape was one of my first thoughts, but I didn't want to lead with him.  blush.gif  lol.gif Besides, I'm not sure how much of that is Alan Rickman.  What the heck, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Snape.

#10 of 65 Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 AM

I am almost sort of embarassed to admit this because the series is such delightful book/brain candy but here goes: Ranger from the Stephanie Plum series.

UmmZen likes this.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#11 of 65 Old 10-11-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Ouch!  I was going to say Dmitri Karamozov, but only if he looks like Yul Brynner (sp?).  Oooooh.... KillJoy!  I'll give this one a little more thought.

I only said 'try'.  Lol!   Dmitri Karamozov it is!

#12 of 65 Old 10-11-2011, 06:05 PM

I Love Love Love Barrons from the Fever Series....and if you can find the out of print book Over The Moon, the hero in that Black Brady is YUMMY!

femalesling.GIFBabywearing, familybed1.gif CoNapping, dog2.gifdog2.gif2 Pitbulls, cat.gif1 Cat,

babyboy.gifDS Aiden 9/2010, dishes.gifsewmachine.gifwash.gifknit.gifhang.gifStay at home wife to David.joy.gif

#13 of 65 Old 10-11-2011, 09:11 PM

Roland from the Dark Tower! *swoon*

journeymom likes this.

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#14 of 65 Old 10-18-2011, 09:58 PM

Aragorn or Faramir (Lord of the Rings), but especially Aragorn.  Although, since he's taken, really, I've always had a soft spot for Halbarad instead of Aragorn. 

I admit, my Mr. Darcy infatuation is greatly increased by the BBC movie and The Shirt. 

Lan in the Wheel of Time series - especially after I read New Spring

Not all who wander are lost.
#15 of 65 Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post

Aragorn or Faramir (Lord of the Rings), but especially Aragorn.  Although, since he's taken, really, I've always had a soft spot for Halbarad instead of Aragorn. 

See, this is where the movie does make a difference for me.  The character of Aragorn in the movie is much more vulnerable, less proud.  The literary Aragorn is kingly and confident.  The Hollywood Aragorn is a reluctant leader.  And he's Viggo!  Very sexy.  Tolkien's Aragorn?  Not so much for me....

I would argue the same for Sean Bean's Boromir, especially the extra scenes he's given in the extended version of The Two Towers which establishes his and Faramir's relationship with their father.  Sean Bean's Boromir?  Oh, yeah!  Tolkien's?  Never.

#16 of 65 Old 10-21-2011, 08:29 AM

I just wanted to add that if I were to pick from the books, Eomer would win hands down.  Faramir comes in a distant second, more worthy of the long-term relationship than a romp. 

journeymom likes this.

#17 of 65 Old 10-21-2011, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

I agree about Boromir, disagree about Aragorn.  Sean Bean made Boromir more sympathetic and interesting than book Boromir is.  Movie Aragorn-  I just couldn't get past his sweaty, greasy hair.  I'd never heard of Viggo Mortensen prior to LotR, so I didn't have a preconceived sexy impression of him. Book Aragorn was at least very intriguing and hinted at potential romance.  I remember reading the books when I was maybe 13 y.o. and being frustrated and disappointed that Tolkien didn't develop Aragorn's and Arwen's story more. 

#18 of 65 Old 10-21-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

I agree about Boromir, disagree about Aragorn.  Sean Bean made Boromir more sympathetic and interesting than book Boromir is.  Movie Aragorn-  I just couldn't get past his sweaty, greasy hair.  I'd never heard of Viggo Mortensen prior to LotR, so I didn't have a preconceived sexy impression of him. Book Aragorn was at least very intriguing and hinted at potential romance.  I remember reading the books when I was maybe 13 y.o. and being frustrated and disappointed that Tolkien didn't develop Aragorn's and Arwen's story more. 

Everyone had pretty sweaty, gross hair in that movie, didn't they?  And seeing Viggo in other movies I know that it definitely was Viggo-as-Aragorn that was appealing, not Viggo himself.  (I always enjoy seeing actors getting a bit scruffy.)  But I thought that the movie characterization of Aragorn was more, hmmmm.... approachable than the literary Aragorn, and for me more attractive and appealing, just as it was for Boromir.

BTW, a part of Aragorn's and Arwen's story is fleshed out in Appendix A, chapter V of the Return of the King.  

#19 of 65 Old 10-21-2011, 04:15 PM

King Arthur...  I guess it stems from The Mists of Avalon.

om.gif married to my best friend guitar.gif; Proud mama of one fine boy! diaper.gif  ribboncesarean.gif;  stork-suprise.gif 4/14 Hoping for a vbac.gif

#20 of 65 Old 10-21-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, yeah, their story is in the appendix.  Tolkien wasn't exactly writing for rabid 14 y.o. girls.  lol.gif  I wanted more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracol8 View Post

King Arthur...  I guess it stems from The Mists of Avalon.

Good one!  The whole bit with the stag horns and so on, very primal. Wow, it's been years since I read that.

#21 of 65 Old 10-21-2011, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

...  not a character, but i have the most major, intense history nerd crush on benjamin franklin.  but mainly because of reading his work. 

i also kinda think ishmael is sorta hot... and starbuck.. and in my imagination, queequeg's tattoos are pretty sexy.. just drop me off on the boat and i'll hang with them all.  but i may have mistakenly read the book during some formative adolescent years. 

and the robert jordan from FWTBT, cause a man who can blow things up is always sorta sexy. 

That reminds me, I had a 'crush' on Beethoven through out high school.  Or, at least my idea of him.  All brilliant and tragic.  Sex with him would have been pretty dumb, though, considering how he went blind.  

#22 of 65 Old 10-22-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

I remember reading the books when I was maybe 13 y.o. and being frustrated and disappointed that Tolkien didn't develop Aragorn's and Arwen's story more. 

Ah.... 13..... at 13 I was most disappointed that Tolkien never gave Frodo a chance at romance.  So, I guess I would need to add him to my list of characters.  Maybe the right hobbit lass could have helped ease his pain.  OK, now I'm embarrassed!

#23 of 65 Old 10-30-2011, 11:32 AM

LOL, funny topic. I had an enormous crush on Sherlock Holmes. What can I say, I was drawn to cold distant intellectual men.

Shannon, mama to Jack :
: : : : : :
#24 of 65 Old 11-23-2011, 07:13 PM

Oh, Rhett Butler from Gone With the Wind is the first that comes to mind for me. innocent.gif

Happy housewife dishes.gif and SAHM to a beautiful 3 year old DD luxlove.gif and a July 2012 DS! babyf.gifMarried to my best friend since 9/5/07 partners.gif

I love to  sewmachine.gif, photosmile2.gif, and reading.gif.  We cd.gif and goorganic.jpg whenever possible.

#25 of 65 Old 11-24-2011, 06:13 PM

I came to say Ranger from the Stephanie Plum series, too. 

Oh, yes.  Ranger all day and night.

#26 of 65 Old 12-22-2011, 07:31 AM

I'd like to teach Eragon a thing or two.

I could also offer some comfort to poor Jacob or Twilight fame.

I don't usually have a thing for younger men and I'll prove it by confessing my feelings for Col. Brandon.

Team Ranger all the way!

Jamie will always be my number one

#27 of 65 Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 AM

Michael Curry from The Witching Hour. I am glad they never made a movie of it because any actor would just fall short of my picture of him. Mmmm.

I definitely like Snape, but it's really Alan Rickman, so that doesn't count. I don't think my husband knows what to make of my noises of glee when I see him on the screen.

I have feelings for Ben Franklin but not that kind. Would love to know him. Feel like I do, through his writings. The Indigo Girls have a song about Virginia Woolf, some lyrics are:

They published your diary

And that's how I got to know you

Key to a room of your own and a mind without end

And here's a young girl

With a kind of a telephone line through time

The voice at the other end calls like a long lost friend

But when I hear it I think of Ben Franklin and how he managed a sort of immortality (the song talks about that too) by managing to put his person in his writings. He doesn't feel distant in time, he feels like he could just walk through the door anytime.

Anyway enough about that... I also see the point about King Arthur from Mists of Avalon. Rita Mae Brown has some hot characters, I like Mars from High Hearts.

journeymom and hildare like this.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#28 of 65 Old 12-22-2011, 11:19 AM

The only one I can think of is Miles Vorkosigan, from Lois McMaster-Bujold's "The Vorkosigan Saga". It's possible that this means there's something wrong with me...and I probably couldn't stand him in real life, but I could be wrong.

I don't get the Snape/Alan Rickman thing. He does absolutely nothing for me.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#29 of 65 Old 12-22-2011, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

I don't get the Snape/Alan Rickman thing. He does absolutely nothing for me.

It was the fan fiction that did it for me, not particularly the Potter movie, and I didn't discover fan fiction  (and that was here at MDC), until after Half Blood Prince book came out.  I already adored Rickman from his earlier movies.  So for the longest time after that, in my mind, Snape looked like the Sheriff of Nottingham.

#30 of 65 Old 12-22-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

I have SO been looking for a way to get DH to stop suggesting Brom as a name for the newbie. I may have just been able to convince him with your "so BAD".

Mooner from Elsewhere, by Will Shetterly.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page