November Book Challenge - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2011, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides

This book tells the story of Madeline and Mitchell the year after they graduate from college--alternating between each of their stories. Mitchell is in love with Madeline, who just wants him as a friend. He takes a trip though Europe and then India but never stops thinking about her. Madeline, on the other hand, is in love with a manic-depressive man, and her life does not exactly go as planned. 

The writing was good but the book was often slow with too many references and descriptions of the books each of them were reading . . . I enjoyed the book well enough, but didn't LOVE it as I did Eugenides' other books: Middlesex and Virgin Suicides.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

59) "Away" Amy Bloom.

I really enjoyed this book. I loved the characters and enjoyed how the author told this rather outlandish tale in a believable way. It is a very emotional, heart breaking story at times and very funny at others. Below is a link that further explains it.

http://mostlyfiction.com/world/bloom.htm

Old 11-17-2011, 07:48 PM

Old 11-18-2011, 11:00 AM

Dingo by Charles de Lint

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/charles-de-lint/dingo.htm

This YA novel is the last one of the Newford series. It includes De Lint’s usual mixture of mythology, fantasy and reality. This time one of the characters is Australian, so a different type of mythology beside Celtic and native America appear in his work. As usual, many of De Lint’s characters are very real and likeable, and there is both a nice love story as well as an adventure. Like alwasy, I was immediately drawn into his world.

That being said, as much as I like this novel, I must admit that it is not De Lint’s best work, so I would not recommend it if you have never read Charles de Lint before and want to become familiar with his style.  I find his YA novels The Blue Girl or little Grrrl Lost or his adult novels Some Place to Be Flying and Widdershins way better.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:25 PM

A Desirable Residence by Madeleine Wickham (aka Sophie Kinsella)

An okay chick lit . . . not as good as other's I've read by her.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 11-19-2011, 10:10 AM

How to Cook a Tart by Nina Killham

Over the top story about food and love obsessions. 

Old 11-20-2011, 08:49 AM

The Monstrumologist, Yancey

Quote:

Will Henry is the 12-year-old apprentice to Pellinore Warthrop, a brilliant and self-absorbed monstrumologist--a scientist who studies (and when necessary, kills) monsters in late-1800s New England. The newest threat is the Anthropophagi, a pack of headless, shark-toothed bipeds, one of whom’s corpse is delivered to Warthrop’s lab courtesy of a grave robber. As the action moves from the dissecting table to the cemetery to an asylum to underground catacombs, Yancey keeps the shocks frequent and shrouded in a splattery miasma of blood, bone, pus, and maggots. The industrial-era setting is populated with leering, Dickensian characters, most notably the loathsome monster hunter hired by Warthrop to enact the highly effective “Maori Protocol” method of slaughter. Yancey’s prose is stentorian and wordy, but it weaves a world that possesses a Lovecraftian logic and hints at its own deeply satisfying mythos. Most effective of all, however, is the weirdly tender relationship between the quiet, respectful boy and his strict, Darwinesque father figure. “Snap to!” is Warthrop’s continued demand of Will, but readers will need no such needling.

This book has won awards and gotten tons of positive reviews...I couldn't get into the writing style.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 PM

The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler

It's 1996 and 17-year-old Emma tries out the Internet for the first time . . . and somehow gets into Facebook 15 years in the future. But when she doesn't like what her future shows, she tries to change it . . . only to make it worse. Her friend Josh, however, sees a great future ahead. Both of them, however, need to figure out what it is they really want and how to make it happen in the present.

Intriguing premise, relatable characters, great writing . . . thoroughly enjoyable teen read (and fun for adults as well!)

Old 11-22-2011, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Love (aka amor deliria nervosa) is considered a disease.  When a person turns 18, they receive a procedure called the "cure" to rid them of love.  Lena, short for Magdelena, does the inevitable and falls in love a couple of months before she is to receive the "cure."  It is now a choice between following her head (and the community) or her heart. 

I loved the concept of this story and the characters.  I struggled with the overly descriptive and detailed writing style, though.  I really had to trudge through the first part of the book.  I would skip a couple of paragraphs and find that the author was still writing about the same mundane thing.  BUT, I stayed with it because I did like the concept and characters and was pleasantly surprised and engaged once I hit the mid-point.  

Old 11-22-2011, 02:57 PM

Lambs of God by Marele Day

http://www.amazon.ca/Lambs-God-Marele-Day/dp/1573227226

This is a rather strange book that I had a hard time getting into, but ended up really liking a lot!  Three nuns  between the ages of late forties to seventies have been living for a very long time on a remote island without any contact with the outside world. Their version of Catholicism blends in nature worship and mythology. Their daily lives consist of, in addition to praying, tending their flock of sheep who they believe are the souls of the other nuns who have since passed away, shearing the sheep and knitting the wool. Their lives change when they get a visit from outside, a young priest who is investigating the property where they live with the interest of turning it into a resort for the wealthy. I can’t describe what happens without giving away spoilers, so it will suffice to say the nuns in an attempt to keep their home are each in their own individual way forced to revisitand confront their pasts.

I highly recommend this novel!

Old 11-22-2011, 02:58 PM

Did not mean to double post!

Old 11-23-2011, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Matched by Ally Condie

Quote:

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.

This was an OK book.  A friend begged me to read this one, so we swapped faves.  I read it in one day, but not without getting distracted (or looking for a distraction) on numerous occasions.  

Old 11-23-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Has anyone read Incarceron by Catherine Fisher?

Old 11-23-2011, 11:17 AM

60) Bridget Jones's Diary  a 1996 novel by Helen Fielding

I never read this when it was so popular in the 1990's. It was an easy, light read. I laughed and enjoyed it.

Anyone read:

Debbie Nathan’s “Sybil Exposed” is about psychiatric fads, outrageous therapeutic malpractice, thwarted ambition run amok, and several other subjects, but above all, it is a book about a book. Specifically, that book is “Sybil,” purportedly the true story of a woman with 16 personalities. First published in 1973, “Sybil” remains in print after selling over 6 million copies in the U.S. alone.

I have it on hold and am very much looking forward to reading it!

Old 11-23-2011, 11:22 AM

Holland73 . . . no have not read Incarceration

Igraine . . . let me know how you like that book. I remember reading Sybil and watching the movie and still remember both quite vividly.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:29 AM

I just read

The Guinea Pig Diaries: My Life as an Experiment by A. J. Jacobs

The author also wrote a book called The Year of Living Biblically which I also enjoyed.

My husband just read the last chapter - in which A.J. spent a month doing everything his wife asked him to do. That was my favorite part of the book.  My husband liked it and he is going to read the rest of the book too.  Now, if I can just get him to spend a month doing everything I ask him to....

Old 11-24-2011, 11:17 AM

Ali in Wonderland by Ali Wentworth

I thoroughly enjoyed this memoir. Ali has a great way of making even her painful experiences funny. The book was full of interesting characters--from lovable, like Ali's mom Muffie, to downright bizarre, like some of Ali's psychiatrists. Some chapters were absolutely hilarious, like "Mi Familia!" I laughed out loud through the whole story of 15-year-old Ali's summer living with a family in a Spanish village. I absolutely recommend this book--it would be a great book club read as well. I'm getting it for all of my girl friends for Christmas, along with dark chocolate and bath beads.

Nicholas St. North by William Joyce and Laura Geringer

In the remote, magical town of Santoff Claussen lives a great wizard Ombric. There he teaches the village children magic and all is well, until the day the Nightmare King's "fearlings" try to invade. Nicholas St. North, formerly a ruffian, joins forces with Ombric and the mysterious spectral boy to stop him. 

The book is beautifully done with lovely illustrations and the writing was lovely and poetic, but I just never got attached to the characters and that's what really makes a book for me. I also felt like this book was just skimming the surface of the story . . . there were so many backstories and so many creatures, which were all cool, but it felt like they were all just thrown in, and the time wasn't taken to really weave them together into a really compelling tale.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:07 PM

Also Known as Rowan Pohl by Ralph Fletcher

On a lark, Bobby Steele and his friends fake an application to a prestigious private high school. No one is more surprised than Bobby . . . especially when Bobby actually follows through and starts attending the school as Rowan Pohi, the made-up applicant. Things start well. For some reason, the school doesn't seem overly concerned that they haven't received any tuition, met or gotten any signed forms from his parents--though they are a little miffed not to have received his transcripts. But as long as he's doing well in his classes, nothing else seems to matter. He even makes the football team and gets a hot new girl friend . . . but then he is recognized by a couple of bullies who threaten to turn rat him out unless he pays them . . . 

This story was fast-paced (I read the book in an hour) and the writing is perfectly geared to young teen boys. I thought the book was going to be a lot funnier than it was, so if you're looking for a comedy, this isn't the book for you. There were some heavy things going on in Bobby's life . . . his father has anger and alcohol issues which resulted in jail time for Dad and Bobby's mother abandoning the family. But still, the book isn't overly heavy or dramatic. It's a story of a teen boy trying to find his way. I could see young guys liking the whole 'kid putting it over on the adults' theme and they probably wouldn't mind the implausible plot . . . so while I'd give it a 3 star rating for an adult, I'd give it 4 stars for 12-14 year-old boys.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:42 AM

Fablehaven 3: Grip of the Shadow Plage, Mull

Quote:
Danger lurks everywhere at Fablehaven, where someone has released a plague that transforms beings of light into creatures of darkness. In dire need of help, the Sorensons question where to turn, now that long trusted allies have been revealed as potential foes. Kendra embarks on a special mission that onlyA she can attempt because of her new abilities as fairykind, while Seth stays behind and discovers an incredible new talent of his own. The siblings are put to the test as the threat grows both abroad and home at the Fablehaven preserve, and Brandon Mull spins his richest and most thrilling fantasy tale yet in this third title of the popular fantasy series.

a

Another great installment in the Fablehaven series.  I really enjoyed the development of Seth's character in this book.

The Unpossessed City, Fasman

Quote:

After a failed romance, 32-year-old Jim Vilatzer is working in his father's Rockville, Md., restaurant, trying to earn enough cash to pay off a $24,000 gambling debt. In an attempt to earn more money, Jim uses his Russian language skills learned in college to get a job in Moscow with the Memory Foundation to interview and record the stories of former political prisoners. A series of interviews draws him into a far-reaching scheme involving the abduction of retired Russian nuclear and biotech scientists. The bio-thriller aspect of the plot provides a loose frame for Fasman's real concerns: Jim's personal, romantic and espionage relationships and, more importantly, the trials and tribulations of the new Russia itself.

Beautifully written and paced, and so descriptive.  While it's termed an "international thriller," I honestly felt that this was much more a character study of Jim, and a look into Post-Soviet Russia itself; with the thriller part thrown in for extra interest. 

Old 11-27-2011, 03:17 PM

Maman's Homesick Pie by Donia Bujan

Beautiful memoir from California chef Donia Bijan -- born in Persia, educated in England and the US, studied cooking at the Cordon Bleu in France -- who details her struggles in becoming a chef. She includes poignant memories of her parents, especially her mother who was always there for her. An enjoyable book for anyone who loves books about food and cooking . . . and yes, there are recipes.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:24 PM

The Map of Me by Tami Lewis Brown

When 12-year old Margie and her younger sister Peep come home from school one day to find their mom has left them, Margie decides that she must bring her back. She steals her father's car (after all, she'd driven before--in her daddy's lap, but still--driving is no harder than riding a bike) and heads for the place she's sure her mother is waiting and then everything can be as it was.

I can't believe how much I loved this book. I could totally relate to Margie's feelings of being invisible and that her Dad only had time for the brilliant and adorable Peep. And while I cringed at the thought of a 12-year-old taking her little sister on a road trip, I loved Margie's courage and determination to take charge and not just roll over and take what life handed her. But even while you don't agree with her choices, Margie is a heroine you'll fall in love with and root for. Highly recommended for ages 8 and up.

Playground by 50 Cent

Butterball is a bully who's kicking younger kids around to make himself feel like somebody. He thinks his bad behavior will get him respect. And when he bashes his ex-best friend with a sock full of batteries, he does seem to get respect . . . from kids at school, from other bullies and even from his mostly absentee father. But are those the people he wants respect from? What about the nice girl at school Nia or his hardworking mother? Butterball is at the crossroads and needs to decide what path he wants to take in life. 

This was a such great read. My heart totally went out to Butterball who just can't seem to help making the wrong choices. I think every teen boy should read this . . . it has so many lessons about everything from bullying to acceptance to self-esteem without one bit of preachiness. It's a realistic, page-turning read where you're just hoping so much that things will somehow work out for Butterball and for his mom too. Yes, there is quite a bit of bad language but it is not there to shock -- it is just part of B-ball's character and voice and fits perfectly. I highly recommend this to teens ages 7th grade and up.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igraine View Post

60) Bridget Jones's Diary  a 1996 novel by Helen Fielding

I never read this when it was so popular in the 1990's. It was an easy, light read. I laughed and enjoyed it.

Anyone read:

Debbie Nathan’s “Sybil Exposed” is about psychiatric fads, outrageous therapeutic malpractice, thwarted ambition run amok, and several other subjects, but above all, it is a book about a book. Specifically, that book is “Sybil,” purportedly the true story of a woman with 16 personalities. First published in 1973, “Sybil” remains in print after selling over 6 million copies in the U.S. alone.

I have it on hold and am very much looking forward to reading it!

I heard about that book on NPR.  Sounds interesting!  Let us know what you think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland73 View Post

Has anyone read Incarceron by Catherine Fisher?

Nope.  What is it about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmomof3 View Post

I just read

The Guinea Pig Diaries: My Life as an Experiment by A. J. Jacobs

The author also wrote a book called The Year of Living Biblically which I also enjoyed.

My husband just read the last chapter - in which A.J. spent a month doing everything his wife asked him to do. That was my favorite part of the book.  My husband liked it and he is going to read the rest of the book too.  Now, if I can just get him to spend a month doing everything I ask him to....

The Year of Living Biblically is on my to read list.  If it inspired action on the honey-do list at my house, that would be so cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke View Post

Fablehaven 3: Grip of the Shadow Plage, Mull

Another great installment in the Fablehaven series.  I really enjoyed the development of Seth's character in this book.

The Unpossessed City, Fasman

Beautifully written and paced, and so descriptive.  While it's termed an "international thriller," I honestly felt that this was much more a character study of Jim, and a look into Post-Soviet Russia itself; with the thriller part thrown in for extra interest. 

Can't wait to read those Fablehaven books with my daughter.  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post

The Map of Me by Tami Lewis Brown

When 12-year old Margie and her younger sister Peep come home from school one day to find their mom has left them, Margie decides that she must bring her back. She steals her father's car (after all, she'd driven before--in her daddy's lap, but still--driving is no harder than riding a bike) and heads for the place she's sure her mother is waiting and then everything can be as it was.

I can't believe how much I loved this book. I could totally relate to Margie's feelings of being invisible and that her Dad only had time for the brilliant and adorable Peep. And while I cringed at the thought of a 12-year-old taking her little sister on a road trip, I loved Margie's courage and determination to take charge and not just roll over and take what life handed her. But even while you don't agree with her choices, Margie is a heroine you'll fall in love with and root for. Highly recommended for ages 8 and up.

Playground by 50 Cent

Butterball is a bully who's kicking younger kids around to make himself feel like somebody. He thinks his bad behavior will get him respect. And when he bashes his ex-best friend with a sock full of batteries, he does seem to get respect . . . from kids at school, from other bullies and even from his mostly absentee father. But are those the people he wants respect from? What about the nice girl at school Nia or his hardworking mother? Butterball is at the crossroads and needs to decide what path he wants to take in life. 

This was a such great read. My heart totally went out to Butterball who just can't seem to help making the wrong choices. I think every teen boy should read this . . . it has so many lessons about everything from bullying to acceptance to self-esteem without one bit of preachiness. It's a realistic, page-turning read where you're just hoping so much that things will somehow work out for Butterball and for his mom too. Yes, there is quite a bit of bad language but it is not there to shock -- it is just part of B-ball's character and voice and fits perfectly. I highly recommend this to teens ages 7th grade and up.

The Playground book sounds good.  I had no idea 50 Cent had it in him.  Good for him!

I have a big ol' list of recently finished books to post.  One of these days I'll get around to it.  I actually have to get myself to the library.  I finished my last book on Friday and don't have anything exciting waiting on the bedside table.  I've got a couple parenting books and 2 or 3 other non-fiction, but nothing I'm jumping up and down about.  I realized I had The Maltese Falcon languishing, so I'm halfway through with that.  But it was a weird feeling not to have something waiting in the wings that I'm eager to read.  Haven't had that happen in a while.

NCD--have you read this one?  The True Adventures of the World's Greatest Stuntman by Vic Armstrong.  Looks fun!    http://seattle.bibliocommons.com/item/show/2715281030_the_true_adventures_of_the_worlds_greatest_stuntman

Old 12-01-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Old 12-01-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
NCD--have you read this one?  The True Adventures of the World's Greatest Stuntman by Vic Armstrong.  Looks fun!    http://seattle.bibliocommons.com/item/show/2715281030_the_true_adventures_of_the_worlds_greatest_stuntman

Just put it on hold at the library!

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 12-02-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post

Just put it on hold at the library!

tell me how you like it!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post

tell me how you like it!

Will do!

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

User Tag List