Farming books for 7yo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-05-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)

We love James Herriot's illustrated collection of stories, and a sweet little book called "Little Farm By the Sea" and another about haying with Grandpa, I forget the title.  We would love suggestions in this vein, more story-oriented but *any* suggestions would be appreciated.  So far I haven't had great luck with my library catalog searches.

My Future Farmer will appreciate any help (and mama would enjoy the respite from monster stories.)

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#2 of 10 Old 11-05-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to add that we love both reading together, and she is reading fairly well on her own, at least when she wants.  So, if the story (fiction or non-) is engaging, the reading level is unimportant.  Illustrations on every page, or nearly so, are still preferred.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#3 of 10 Old 11-05-2011, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We love My Farm by Alison Lester and Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm by Alice and Martin Provensen.  (Both of them are much more interesting than the unimaginative titles might lead you to believe.)  There are also other farm books by the Provensens, including The Year at Maple Hill Farm.

#4 of 10 Old 11-05-2011, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

These may not have enough illustrations for you, but in case they interest: 

-Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder 

-Harris and Me by Gary Paulsen is a funny story about a city boy who spends a summer on his aunt and uncle's farm

-Charlotte's Web is set on a farm, of course

Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman is a picture book about a community garden that is created by neighbours in a vacant city lot - maybe not exactly what you were looking for, but it's an inspiring story

These may be too young for her, but Kim Lewis has some lovely picture books about a sheep farm, including: 

Floss

Just Like Floss

The Shepherd Boy

Similarly, All the Places to Love by Patricia McLachlan is a gorgeous picture book that always leaves me with a lump in my throat

#5 of 10 Old 11-11-2011, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I quite liked this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Elisha-Cooper/dp/0545070759/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321081566&sr=1-1

It is basically a year on a modern farm (conventional, most likely).  There is a reference to the farmer calling a neighbor on his cell phone to help when a tractor stops.  We have family who farm in the midwest, and it's quite true to what things are like for them on their farm. 

Not all who wander are lost.
#6 of 10 Old 11-12-2011, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies so far.  I've ordered as many as I can from the library, and chose a few others I stumbled across in the search.

#7 of 10 Old 11-12-2011, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

If y'all are okay with longer chapter books (300p or so) you might like to check out the first Gaia Girls book, "Enter The Earth" by Lee Welles. It's set on a farm and the main character (girl) is granted super earth powers.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#8 of 10 Old 11-17-2011, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Don't know what you think of Amish literature - Beverly Lewis and the like - but I know there are children's books about Amish families, which (presumably!) take place on farms. So that might be worth looking into.

And yes, like a PP, I'd suggest Farmer Boy. All the Laura Ingalls books are slightly "farmy" - cows, crops of wheat, locusts, pumpkins - but Farmer Boy is set on a prosperous farm and has lots of fun stuff, like the county fair and breaking in colts.

I only vaguely remember Sarah, Plain and Tall, but wasn't that set on a farm too? It's a nice book, anyway.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#9 of 10 Old 11-17-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

And yes, like a PP, I'd suggest Farmer Boy. All the Laura Ingalls books are slightly "farmy" - cows, crops of wheat, locusts, pumpkins - but Farmer Boy is set on a prosperous farm and has lots of fun stuff, like the county fair and breaking in colts.

I do love Farmer Boy.  I think it is the strongest book of the entire series, personally.  Thanks all for your suggestions.  I have so far discovered several books that we all love.  I'm still looking....

#10 of 10 Old 11-18-2011, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know why I didn't think of mentioning this one:

http://www.amazon.com/First-Farm-Valley-Annas-Story/dp/1932350241/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321636612&sr=8-1 

Our library doesn't have the rest of the books in the series, but this is the first, and it was good.  Simply written (rather like the Little House books), about a Polish family homesteading in Northern WI - one of the things I thought was especially good about these books was the references to their Polish culture (Christmas and Easter traditions), and also the references to their immigration, why they'd come to America, etc. (because of the war, and wanting to get away from that). 

Not all who wander are lost.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page