"We Need to Talk about Kevin" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-21-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was recently looking at upcoming movies and noticed this film coming out, based on the book by the same title.  It looked interesting to me so I found the book and am about 80% through it.  It's very disturbing but I'm really 'enjoying' it.  Probably have ruined the movie for myself reading the book so close to when the movie comes out (won't have the luxury of a fuzzy memory).

Just wondering if anyone has read the book?  I've searched and couldn't find it discussed anywhere.  It's not a real recent book.

#2 of 10 Old 11-22-2011, 08:54 AM

I haven't read it, but just put it on hold.  It looks like it could be a really horrifying, powerful book.

#3 of 10 Old 11-22-2011, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, that about sums it up.  I finished it last night and while it was really good and I couldn't put it down, it was disturbing.  I have no one to discuss the book, but I've been reading some reviews and some of them I really disagreed with - their take  on the whole nurture vs. nature thing.  I think some people are too hard on the mom when they read it. 

#4 of 10 Old 11-28-2011, 08:13 PM

Here is a thread from several years back. It's been about 12 years since I read the book, but I have no desire whatsoever to see the movie. First of all, seeing it on the big screen would be too much for me and secondly, I don't know how the movie could ever do the book justice.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/581717/we-need-to-talk-about-kevin
#5 of 10 Old 11-28-2011, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for posting that.  Interesting comments ... funny how different people take away different things from the book - nurture or nature, depending on how they want to see the mother. 

#6 of 10 Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 PM

I'm hosting our January book club and asked if anyone had read this yet. No one has. Wondering if I should re-read it and use it for book club. It's such a great discussion book.
#7 of 10 Old 03-16-2012, 05:06 PM

I didn't read any of the comments because I'm afraid of spoilers, but I've just started this.  I don't know if I will stick with it.  The voice is so...pretentious?  Not sure if that's the word I'm looking for.  But I just can't stand her.  

Don't get me wrong, it paints a perfect picture of this woman (with her six to seven olives before dinner and her single vanilla wafer cookie for dessert), but it so clearly depicts her that I can't tolerate her.  

#8 of 10 Old 03-16-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelsea View Post

I didn't read any of the comments because I'm afraid of spoilers, but I've just started this.  I don't know if I will stick with it.  The voice is so...pretentious?  Not sure if that's the word I'm looking for.  But I just can't stand her.  

Don't get me wrong, it paints a perfect picture of this woman (with her six to seven olives before dinner and her single vanilla wafer cookie for dessert), but it so clearly depicts her that I can't tolerate her.  

Yes, totally!  I did get used to it after awhile and it didn't bother me as much, or maybe it just got less obnoxious as the book went on.  Strangely, I didn't 'hate' the character, per se, due to it but moreso was just rolling my eyes at the author and her thesaurus, lol ;)  (or maybe she really does talk that way, who knows!)

#9 of 10 Old 05-07-2012, 06:56 PM

This is so exciting for me.  I read that book in 08 and loved it.  It is one of my top three favorite books.  I never thought they would make a movie from it.  Thanks for letting me know!

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#10 of 10 Old 05-11-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaFinch View Post

Yes, totally!  I did get used to it after awhile and it didn't bother me as much, or maybe it just got less obnoxious as the book went on.  Strangely, I didn't 'hate' the character, per se, due to it but moreso was just rolling my eyes at the author and her thesaurus, lol ;)  (or maybe she really does talk that way, who knows!)

i thought that too!  i was about to quit reading it at the beginning b/c of the overly flowery language, but i stuck with it...  good book!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page