Books affirming respect to our lo's? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2011, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there,

I am in desperate need to show dh that even though our children are small, they still deserve respect. I have read so many books and now I am completely forgetting the best ones to portray this subject. I have requested Screamfree parenting from the library.....pls send recommendations  to any other books that may help me. Thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 03:08 PM

Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn is a good one.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:30 AM

Have you looked at Love and Logic? I know it isn't super popular here, but I love it. From your post, I'm getting the impression that you tend to practice AP, and your husband does not. Is that accurate? If so, you might find L&L to be a nice compromise. It really is all about treating your children with respect, natural consequences, and being what they term a 'consultant' to help your child make good choices. As an approach, it is a great bridge between AP and a more traditional parent.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

You are correct.....I am practicing AP but still trying to get my dh on board. Do you know the author of the book you suggested? A few came up in my library search and wanted to make sure I ordered the right one. Thanks you your great suggestion

Old 12-05-2011, 09:56 AM

They do have a lot of choices! I think Parenting with Love and Logic explains everything in the most detail, but it will only appeal to someone who is willing to sit down and read a book. Painless Parenting for the Preschool Years is also very good. I was able to find tons of Love and Logic books, CDs and DVDs at our local library, which was great, because then I was able to try out several without shelling out for them. One other idea - I know you said you were interested in a book, but we ended up taking a Love and Logic parenting class through our local school. It was terrific, because it helped DH and I get on the same page with parenting techniques in a way that I don't think we would have if we had both been reading a book separately and picking out what we wanted to. I know quite a few of the school districts in our area offer these classes - maybe there would be something in your area, too.

ETA: I don't know what your religious affiliation is, but be forewarned that many of the materials have Biblical quotes peppered liberally throughout. Since the classes were through the local public school, the religious bits were stripped out, which for us was appreciated.

User Tag List