January 2012 Book Challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 74 Old 01-27-2012, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The Likeness by Tara French

What a pageturner!

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#62 of 74 Old 01-29-2012, 11:08 AM

Fablehaven #5 Keys to the Demon Prison

Quote:
Since ancient times, the great demon prison Zzyzx has protected the world from the most dangerous servants of darkness, including Gorgrog, the Demon King. But now, after centuries of plotting, the Sphinx is on the verge of recovering the five artifacts necessary to open the legendary prison, and all friends of light must unite in a final effort to thwart the Sphinx’s designs and find a safe home for the five artifacts. To this end, Kendra, Seth, and the Knights of the Dawn will venture far beyond the walls of Fablehaven to strange and exotic magical preserves across the globe, where the end of every quest becomes the beginning of another.

In this explosive series finale, allegiances will be confirmed and secrets revealed as the forces of light and darkness collide in a desperate struggle to control the keys to the demon prison.

I have really enjoyed this series, and the ending did not disapppoint!

In the Garden of Beasts, Larsen

Quote:
In the Garden of Beasts is a vivid portrait of Berlin during the first years of Hitler’s reign, brought to life through the stories of two people: William E. Dodd, who in 1933 became America’s first ambassador to Hitler’s regime, and his scandalously carefree daughter, Martha. Ambassador Dodd, an unassuming and scholarly man, is an odd fit among the extravagance of the Nazi elite. His frugality annoys his fellow Americans in the State Department and Dodd’s growing misgivings about Hitler’s ambitions fall on deaf ears among his peers, who are content to “give Hitler everything he wants.” Martha, on the other hand, is mesmerized by the glamorous parties and the high-minded conversation of Berlin’s salon society—and flings herself headlong into numerous affairs with the city’s elite, most notably the head of the Gestapo and a Soviet spy. Both become players in the exhilarating (and terrifying) story of Hitler’s obsession for absolute power, which culminates in the events of one murderous night, later known as “the Night of Long Knives.”

Interesting perspective on Hitler's rise to power through American eyes.

Mile 81, King

Quote:
At Mile 81 on the Maine Turnpike is a boarded-up rest stop, a place where high school kids drink and get into the kind of trouble high school kids have always gotten into. It’s the place where Pete Simmons, armed only with the magnifying glass he got for his tenth birthday, finds a discarded bottle of vodka in the boarded up burger shack and drinks enough to pass out. Not much later, a mud-covered station wagon (which is strange because there hadn’t been any rain in New England for over a week) veers into the Mile 81 rest area, ignoring the sign that says “closed, no services.” The driver’s door opens but nobody gets out.

By the time Pete Simmons wakes up from his vodka nap, there are half a dozen cars at the Mile 81 rest stop. But two kids and a horse are the only living things left...unless you maybe count the wagon. With the heart of Stand By Me and the genius horror of Christine, Mile 81 is Stephen King unleashing his imagination as he drives past one of those road signs.

Wasn't expecting this to be a short story...I guess it was okay, but nothing was really developed.

#63 of 74 Old 01-29-2012, 02:06 PM

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

10-year-old August was born with a several facial deformity. He has always been homeschool, but the story starts when his parents decide he should attend a private middle-school. Most of the kids are afraid to go near him for fear of catching "The Plague" and some are outright hostile, but August does manage to make a couple of friends who help him get through the year. 

Great message but okay book . . . recommend Firegirl if you really want a heartbreaker with the same message.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#64 of 74 Old 01-31-2012, 03:59 PM

I have read and reviewed 13 books so far this month.

Here are some of my favorites:

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine - I had never read it - it is fantastic!

The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams & Deborah Beale - fun new fantasy for kids.

Best Forgotten by Paula Vince - a Christian psychological thriller - pretty good book.

The Conscious Kitchen by Alexandra Zissu - if you are interested in healthy/organic/healthy living and eating - this book is great

Alienation by Jon S. Lewis - second in the series after Invasion - great book!

The Princess Curse by Merrie Haskell - really fun fairy tale/ mythology type story - excellent!

Four Letter Words by Bill Giovannetti - if you are a fundamental type Christian, you might really enjoy this book.  As you can see by my review, I guess that I don't quite fit into that category.

Drums, Girls, & Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick - wonderful.

- just click on the book titles for the reviews

#65 of 74 Old 02-01-2012, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

1. Skipped Parts - Tim Sandlin  (Nook)

2. The Mill River Recluse - Darcie Chan (Nook)

3. I Used to Know That - Caroline Taggart (Nook)

4. Mom Still Likes You Best (audio book) - Jane Isay (Library)

5. The Snow Angel - Glenn Beck  (Library)

6. Hurricanes in Paradise - Denise Hildreth (Nook)

February

7. I Didn't Ask to Be Born - Bill Cosby (Library)

8. From The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler (DS Copy)

9. House Rules - Rachel Sontag (Library)

#7 is hilarious, I started laughing in the library- oops

#8 I read with my son.  We are doing nightly readings again.

#9 I read in one sitting, cried huge crocodile tears

christianmomof3 likes this.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#66 of 74 Old 02-02-2012, 03:05 AM

5.  The Graceling by Kristin Cashore:  A teen/young adult dystopian novel.  I really enjoy these, so when the librarian recommended this one, I went ahead and picked it up.  I liked it so much that I've already started the next one, Fire.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#67 of 74 Old 02-02-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Feed by M.T. Anderson (Audiobook)

I'm happy I listened to this book on audio, instead of reading it.  It was a very interesting and imaginative concept.  The audio version really brought the story alive for me, but I also found myself annoyed by having to listen to the "Dude, ..." and "And like, ..." over and over again.  

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Thank you, Cathe, for such an amazing recommendation.  Such a beautiful, well-written book!   This was my first John Green book, so I am looking forward to reading more by him. 

#68 of 74 Old 02-02-2012, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

1. Skipped Parts - Tim Sandlin  (Nook)

2. The Mill River Recluse - Darcie Chan (Nook)

3. I Used to Know That - Caroline Taggart (Nook)

4. Mom Still Likes You Best (audio book) - Jane Isay (Library)

5. The Snow Angel - Glenn Beck  (Library)

6. Hurricanes in Paradise - Denise Hildreth (Nook)

February

7. I Didn't Ask to Be Born - Bill Cosby (Library)

8. From The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler (DS Copy)

9. House Rules - Rachel Sontag (Library)

10. On a Dollar a Day - Christopher Greenslate (Library)

Wow, I'm averaging 2 books a week so far...  nothing like spiking right out of the starting gate.  AND getting all of February done in 2 days.. hummm.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#69 of 74 Old 02-03-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland73 View Post

Feed by M.T. Anderson (Audiobook)

I'm happy I listened to this book on audio, instead of reading it.  It was a very interesting and imaginative concept.  The audio version really brought the story alive for me, but I also found myself annoyed by having to listen to the "Dude, ..." and "And like, ..." over and over again.  

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Thank you, Cathe, for such an amazing recommendation.  Such a beautiful, well-written book!   This was my first John Green book, so I am looking forward to reading more by him. 

Glad you liked it!

#70 of 74 Old 02-04-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

Just a really sweet book. 

#71 of 74 Old 02-04-2012, 10:17 PM

I started the February thread joy.gif

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1344293/book-challenge-february-2012#post_16863657

Quote:
Originally Posted by branditopolis View Post

I want in on this thread, looks like a lot of titles to add to my wish list :)

Right now I just started Hey Nostradaumus! by Douglas Coupland.

When I'll finish it, no one knows.  It belongs to the library and DS has already spit up on it once. 

C'mon in!  :)  Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post

The Likeness by Tara French

What a pageturner!

Is that the sequel to Into the Woods?  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke View Post

Fablehaven #5 Keys to the Demon Prison

I have really enjoyed this series, and the ending did not disapppoint!

The kids and I had a leisurely visit to the neighborhood bookstore, which has a good selection of new books, but is mostly used books.  We noodled over all the Fablehaven books, and dd decided she'd be ready for them when she's 8.  The covers were just a little tiny bit too scary for her.  Can't wait to read them with her though.  They look good.  We got The Mysterious Benedict Society instead. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post

5.  The Graceling by Kristin Cashore:  A teen/young adult dystopian novel.  I really enjoy these, so when the librarian recommended this one, I went ahead and picked it up.  I liked it so much that I've already started the next one, Fire.

Oh, I checked this out from the library, but ran out of time to read it before it was due back.  I'm going to check it out again for sure.  Fire was on the staff picks shelf when we visited the library today. :)

#72 of 74 Old 02-05-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post

Is that the sequel to Into the Woods?  

Yes!

#73 of 74 Old 02-05-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post

Yes!

Cool!  I need to read the first one still, and I remember hearing good things about it!

#74 of 74 Old 02-09-2012, 09:45 AM

Late updates from January

4. The Invisible Line: Three American Families and the Secret Journey From Black to White by Daniel Sharfstein

5.The Paris Wife by Paula McLain 

6. Unschooling Rules by Clark Aldrich

7. Homeschooling for the Rest of Us by Sonya Haskins

7/35 in January 

~Daisy~

Unschooling Mother to S, my 6yo "Moon Farmer"energy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page