January 2012 Book Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 01-01-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Happy New Year, Everyone!  banana.gif

So, just by way of clarification (for comers both new and old), guidelines for the Book Challenge Thread are as follows:

1) Post the books you read ... or not
2) Post a recommendation ... or not
3) Number your book ... or not
4) Make a goal for how many books you want to read in 2012 ... or not
5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY

Happy reading everyone!

#2 of 74 Old 01-01-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to try to remember to number my books this year. 

1.  Right Behind You by Gail Giles

Quote:

After setting his seven-year-old neighbor in Alaska on fire, Kip McFarland spends four years in a facility for violent juvenile offenders. When he is released at the age of 14, he, his father, and his new stepmother move to Indiana, with new names. For a while, Wade enjoys a normal life. Eventually, however, despite the warnings of his therapist, he sabotages his happiness in a drunken fit of rage. After he reveals his identity, the town turns on him and his family. Now, a coastal Texas town is their final shot at starting over. The cozy community appears to be a perfect haven, but Wade feels compelled to reveal his past to Sam, the beautiful and mysterious neighbor who is winning his heart—and has a story of her own. Will she still accept him once she finds out he is a murderer?

Finished this book at 12:30am!  I'm such a New Year's Eve party animal!  lol.gif

This was an amazing book, especially for me.  It weaves my three main passions (working with emotionally disturbed/violent offending adolescents, positive psychology & Buddhism) into one beautiful and honest story.  

Igraine likes this.
#3 of 74 Old 01-01-2012, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

happy new year! this year I want to remember to keep a running list of books I have read; I did that thanks to this thread in 2010, and enjoyed reading over my list.

would like to have a goal of one fiction and one nonfiction book per week, but i know that's a bit lofty for me. 52 books will be fine.

1. The Upside-Down Kingdom by Donald Kraybill

really enjoyed this. the title refers to the kingdom of God, as described in the gospels and the teachings of Jesus. the author emphasizes the teaching that the hungry will be fed, that the lowly will be lifted up—that, in short, if one follows Jesus the social order gets turned upside-down. pursue love and compassion, rather than power and monetary wealth. my full review is here.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#4 of 74 Old 01-01-2012, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey all -- looking forward to another year reading together!

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#5 of 74 Old 01-01-2012, 05:00 PM

Alright ... here's to a 2012 that was better than 2011.  Happy reading everyone!

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#6 of 74 Old 01-02-2012, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

2. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Quote:
At age eleven, Taylor Markham was abandoned by her mother. At fourteen, she ran away from boarding school, only to be tracked down and brought back by a mysterious stranger. Now seventeen, Taylor's the reluctant leader of her school's underground community, whose annual territory war with the Townies and visiting Cadets has just begun. This year, though, the Cadets are led by Jonah Griggs, and Taylor can't avoid his intense gaze for long. To make matters worse, Hannah, the one adult Taylor trusts, has disappeared. But if Taylor can piece together the clues Hannah left behind, the truth she uncovers might not just settle her past, but also change her future.

I enjoyed this book quite a bit.  I will admit I was a bit frustrated as to what was going on in the first 50+ pages.  There appeared to be two stories being told and I must have been feeling a bit lazy because I didn't want to invest too much brain energy to the 2nd story.  redface.gif   But, after realizing there were strong connections between the two stories... I was absolutely captivated!  I also loved how everything was explained and concluded so beautifully at the end of the book.       

#7 of 74 Old 01-02-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland73 View Post

2. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

I enjoyed this book quite a bit.  I will admit I was a bit frustrated as to what was going on in the first 50+ pages.  There appeared to be two stories being told and I must have been feeling a bit lazy because I didn't want to invest too much brain energy to the 2nd story.  redface.gif   But, after realizing there were strong connections between the two stories... I was absolutely captivated!  I also loved how everything was explained and concluded so beautifully at the end of the book.       

That's sounds good . . just added it to my 'to read' list.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#8 of 74 Old 01-02-2012, 02:49 PM

Lunatics by Dave Barry and Alan Zweibel

This book reads like an improv skit from Whose Line is it Anyway? Alternating between the POV's of two New Jersey Jewish men who end up going from one implausible situation to an even more implausible one, and end up setting off a series of Forrest Gump-like events to solve the world's problems . . . while keeping the reader laughing the whole time. Don't expect political correctness, reality or even a lot of logic or plot, but do expect some fun, a lot of laughs and a few too many poop jokes.

#9 of 74 Old 01-04-2012, 05:34 AM

1) Someday this pain will be useful to you by Peter Cameron.

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/26/143197825/teenage-struggles-in-a-painful-post-sept-11-world

A very quick read, but I really enjoyed it. A slightly different take on "teen angst" and the transition time between ending your high school years and moving on to college.

#10 of 74 Old 01-05-2012, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Looking forward to a great year of reading!

January

1. Skipped Parts - Tim Sandlin

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#11 of 74 Old 01-05-2012, 10:33 AM

Excited about another year of reading and chatting with you good folks!  Happy New Year everyone!

I think my goal last year was 75 books.  I only made it to 60 something, but I read a lot of non-fiction for work.  That's my excuse :)

I'm sticking with 75 books for this year again!

Right now I am reading The Sun Also Rises, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant.  The first two are for book clubs.  I'm just cracking open the Henrietta book.  I had to be convinced to continue with the Hemingway.  I find that whole drinking and hooking up all the time and hanging out in cafes lifestyle a little boring.

Anyway, my first book of the year is one I've been plodding along with my daughter on for a few months. 

#1  The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

Children's chapter book.  Almost 300 pages.  Fun story, but a little plodding.  One chapter at a time at bedtime and it wasn't always the go to book, so it took us a while.  I've heard the 2nd book is better.

#12 of 74 Old 01-05-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

3. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I read this book (and the 2nd book) last summer while traveling through Europe with ds and loved it.  I'm loved it even more the second time around!  Anyway, I wanted to read it again because I was constantly distracted during the first reading, plus the movie is coming out in March.  Additionally, I still haven't finished the 3rd book.  I got a bit frustrated with it, so hopefully after revisiting the first two, I will be more interested in the 3rd book.  fingersx.gif   

#13 of 74 Old 01-06-2012, 01:39 PM

Mercury in Retrograde by Paul Froelich

Chick lit book about three NY women: a reporter, a socialite, and a lawyer and their adventures in work and in love. Kind of a Sex and the City rip-off (even stole the divorced women turned handbag designer which was in one episode). Okay read.

#14 of 74 Old 01-07-2012, 10:23 AM

2) The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson.

Thoroughly addicted. Up VERY late the last couple of nights finishing this. I have the next book and know I will be very sad when I finish knowing there will be no more books to follow. 

#15 of 74 Old 01-08-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

4. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

On to the one that I struggled to finish, Mockingjay.  I must admit, I am still a little less inclined to read it again.  I don't like what they do to one of my favorite characters and I did read the last part of the book (Sheepish.gif), so I know how it ends and I didn't like that either.  Oh well, here I go...   

#16 of 74 Old 01-08-2012, 11:05 AM

Is anyone else having trouble posting??? Several times I tried to post and it didn't post . . .

#17 of 74 Old 01-08-2012, 11:06 AM

Feed by M.T. Anderson -- great futuristic YA

Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko -- funny and touching MG novel about a boy living on Alcatraz Island

#18 of 74 Old 01-09-2012, 06:39 AM

The Most Dangerous Thing, Lippman

Quote:
Some secrets can’t be kept . . . .

Years ago, they were all the best of friends. But as time passed and circumstances changed, they grew apart, became adults with families of their own, and began to forget about the past—and the terrible lie they all shared.

But now Gordon, the youngest and wildest of the five, has died and the others are thrown together for the first time in years.

And then the revelations start.

I've enjoyed everything I've read by Lippman in the past, but just found this one sort of bland...while the characters were well-developed, no real suspense as to the big secret, and the ending as a whole just really fell flat for me.

#1 The Most Dangerous Thing, #2 Fablehaven Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary, #3 The Fault in our Stars, #4 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #5 Sister, #6 Fablehaven #5 Keys to the Demon Prison, #6 In the Garden of Beasts, #7 Mile 81, #8 A Storm of Swords, #9 Divergent, #10 Graveminder, #11 Darkfever, #12 The Love of our Youth, #13 Bloodfever, #14 Faefever, #15 Hold Tight, #16 Night Road, #17 Dreamfever, #18 Townie, #19 Shadowfever, #20 Lake of Sorrows, #21 When She Woke,#22 Defending Jacob, #23 At Home, #24 False Mermaid, #25 Miss Peregrine's Home, #26 The Replacement, #27 The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, #28 77 Shadow Street, #29 The Great Night, #30 Passage, #31 Insurgent, #32 The Crossing Places, #33 Black Girl/White Girl, #34 Kingdom Keepers ii disney at dawn, #35 Kingdom Keepers III Disney in Shadow, #36 New Rules of Lifting for Women, #37 The Snowman, #38 Make Lemonade, #39 City of Fallen Angels, #40 The Janus Stone, #41 The Cove, #42 The Taker, #43 A Feast for Crows, #44 A Fistful fo Charms, #45 For a Few Demons More, #46 Last Block in Harlem, #47 the Outlaw Demon Wails, #48 A Serpent's Tale, #49 Dance with Dragons, #50 Summer of Night, #51 These things hidden, #52 The Flame Alphabet, #53 Night Swimmer, #54 Grave Goods, #55 Running the Rift, #56 Bird Cloud, #57 A Murderous Procession, #58 Cypress House, #59 True Believer, #60 This Full House, #61 Before I go to Sleep, #62 Orientation, #63 The Last Dragonslayer, #64 Tales of the Madman Underground, #65 Will Grayson Will Grayson, #66 Kingdom Keepers Power Play, #67 The Vanishers, #68 Light Between the Oceans, #69 Devil in Silver, #70 State of Wonder, #71 Snow Child, #72 The Watchers

#19 of 74 Old 01-09-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post

Is anyone else having trouble posting??? Several times I tried to post and it didn't post . . .

I hadn't tried recently....maybe system was glitchy the day you tried?

#20 of 74 Old 01-09-2012, 04:09 PM

It actually happened on 2 different days, but seems to be fine today.

#21 of 74 Old 01-09-2012, 04:20 PM

Crow by Barbara Wright

I chose this book because it got so many 5 star reviews on amazon.com, plus starred reviews in all the major journals, but I found it pretty slow going until the last couple of chapters, which I admit were quite exciting. It's the story of an African American boy Moses and the prejudicial treatment he and his family receive in a North Carolina town in 1898--very important stuff to hear and the writing was fine, but I really don't see the story keeping 8-12 year olds interested enough to get to the exciting ending, as up until that point the chapters seem very episodic with no big goal that Moses is trying to achieve--which is what I need to keep me turning those pages. There were also adult themes of rape that are hinted at throughout the book. Seems more like a book adults like and think kids should read.

#22 of 74 Old 01-09-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Igraine View Post

1) Someday this pain will be useful to you by Peter Cameron.

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/26/143197825/teenage-struggles-in-a-painful-post-sept-11-world

A very quick read, but I really enjoyed it. A slightly different take on "teen angst" and the transition time between ending your high school years and moving on to college.

read that a year or 2 ago & liked it a lot. glad you enjoyed it.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#23 of 74 Old 01-09-2012, 09:55 PM

January

1. Skipped Parts - Tim Sandlin

2. The Mill River Recluse - Darcie Chan

3. I Used to Know That - Caroline Taggart

*downloaded lots of free books to Nook over the holidays and the 1st week of the year.  DS is on swim team so I have an hour 3x a week to read or craft.  Crafting has taken over but I'm sure I will switch to reading soon. Also subbing is picking back up and that's an excellent time to read as well (I sub for grades 7 and up mostly and they are pretty independent)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#24 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 12:08 PM

January

1. Little Bee By Chris Cleave - this is a beautiful story about a horrible situation.  The writing is amazing.

2. Not sure yet, waiting to see what comes in to the library.

2011 was my year to begin fiction reading.  My goal was to read 1 fiction book a month and I ended up with 16.  I found a lot of insprition and  suggestions from these threads, but I did not contribute because I was afraid I would jinx myself.

swede likes this.
#25 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaroo View Post

January

1. Little Bee By Chris Cleave - this is a beautiful story about a horrible situation.  The writing is amazing.

2. Not sure yet, waiting to see what comes in to the library.

2011 was my year to begin fiction reading.  My goal was to read 1 fiction book a month and I ended up with 16.  I found a lot of insprition and  suggestions from these threads, but I did not contribute because I was afraid I would jinx myself.

I loved "Little Bee" too. Many people I know who read it, had such a hard time with the violence that they were unable to get to the really beautiful parts. I read it twice and did have to skim the "incident" the second time, but I still enjoyed it very much.

#26 of 74 Old 01-10-2012, 04:34 PM

1. Skipped Parts - Tim Sandlin  (Nook)

2. The Mill River Recluse - Darcie Chan (Nook)

3. I Used to Know That - Caroline Taggart (Nook)

4. Mom Still Likes You Best (audio book) - Jane Isay (Library)

5. The Snow Angel - Glenn Beck  (Library)

6. Hurricanes in Paradise - Denise Hildreth (Nook)

I think this year I will also track the number of books that are Nook vs library vs actual books purchased.  Hopefully this will help me plan better for 2013 and convince me that I do NOT need to buy physical books.  I'm a visual person and I need to see things like this.  yes I can see the 'books read' on my Nook but what I'm trying to get myself to learn isn't seeping in that way.

We are starting to have a clutter problem again.  Books are one of those issues.

#27 of 74 Old 01-11-2012, 05:51 AM

3) The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson. I, of-course, loved this one as well. Such a ride! I also read that his "life companion", Eva Gabrielsson, is trying to finish the 4th book. but she is fighting a legal battle with Stieg's father and brother.

#28 of 74 Old 01-11-2012, 08:41 PM

Two great reads--totally different:

The Good Father by Noah Hawley

When Dr. Paul Allen's son Daniel is accused of assassinating a popular presidential candidate, Dr. Allen tries to find out if his son really did it, and if so, why for God's sake. Maybe it was even his (Dr. Allen's) fault. I could not turn the pages of this book fast enough . . . which seems strange because there really wasn't a lot of action to the book. I guess, like the doctor, I too was anxious to find out what would make someone do such a horrible thing. And though this book was filled more with questions than answers--or probably for just that reason--it's definitely a book I'll be thinking about for a long time. Reminds me of David Vann's writing -- dark, disturbing--not for those looking for a feel-good book, that's for sure.

Ditched by Robin Mellom

It's prom night and Justina has decided this will be a magical night when her relationship with her best friend Ian, will become more than friends. But things go horribly awry and she ends up ditched, in an actual ditch. As she relates the tragedy of her night to a sympathetic 7-11 clerk, the reader finds out all the messy details. This was a crazy, funny, and touching story that teen girls (and teen girls at heart) won't be able to put down.

#29 of 74 Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igraine View Post

3) The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson. I, of-course, loved this one as well. Such a ride! I also read that his "life companion", Eva Gabrielsson, is trying to finish the 4th book. but she is fighting a legal battle with Stieg's father and brother.

Oooh, I did not know that!  I hope they work it out.

#30 of 74 Old 01-12-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Before I die by Jenny Downham (Audiobook)

16 year old Tessa has been battling leukemia since she was 12.  The book covers her final year of life and the list of things she wants to do before she dies.

A tragic and touching story, which I think was even more powerful via audiobook.  I loved the character of Adam.  He was amazing.  There were so many moments where I was yelling at some of the characters, especially Tessa's best friend, or crying right alongside with them.  The ending was poignant, but so beautiful.    

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page