Can we start a new HP thread for those of us late to the game? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

Ah, well, everyone else has gone, but I thought I'd put one final word in since we finished Phoenix.  OK, it is the better book compared to Goblet of Fire, but it still annoys me in a way #4 never did.  Yeah, Goblet had a plot hole (or 5) a mile wide.  Really!  You'd think just stealing Harry away quietly would arouse less suspicion than putting him in a tournament.  All that effort seems a bit silly, but for some reason I can live with it.

But in the end my feelings for #5 remain the same.  I would have told Voldemort, hey, this doesn't have what you think it has.  It is not a weapon, so give up already.  Take it, it's yours.  I can understand that if he didn't know what was in the prophecy that he might want it, but I don't understand why the Order needed to keep it away from him.  And Sirius.  Such a waste. 

Anyway, I've hogged this thread enough.  

See ya!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#32 of 34 Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

This is cool, you're bringing up those questions and stumbling blocks that I noticed the first time I read the books. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who thought the trail of logic wasn't very firm. I always figured it was just me, that I'd missed something. 

Quote:
I can understand that if he didn't know what was in the prophecy that he might want it, but I don't understand why the Order needed to keep it away from him.

Right! 

We haven't heard from the OP in a while, but just in case,

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

The prophecy tells us that the only person that can kill Voldemort is Harry (right?).  What's the problem with Voldemort learning this?  So much of a problem that Dumbledore would deploy an army of supporters to keep Voldemort away from the Prophecy?  It's never explicitly stated.  But maybe it's because if Voldemort knew this he would have doubled his efforts to kill Harry. And of course Dumbledore didn't want that to happen until all the horcruxes were destroyed.

My problem is that the rules of the prophecy and Lily's protection and Dumbledore's Plan were all revealed little by little over all seven of the books, making it especially difficult to connect the dots. 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

It's cool that Dumbledore didn't try to kill Voldemort when they battled it out at the Ministry.

But the significance of it isn't revealed until Deathly Hallows, and by that time I've forgotten useless information like that.  I mean, it's not clear that it's a Clue, so usually I'd conclude "I guess I missed the importance while I was reading" or, "Why in the world does JKR keep bringing up stuff that seems important but then not explaining it by the end of the book?"   I'm not going to remember everything from Philosopher's Stone when I'm plodding through Half Blood Prince. Why should I bother trying to juggle all those questions throughout each book? 

Sorry if I've got chronology wrong, and I'm not the least bit surprised if everyone else was easily following all the hints and clues, as well as Dumbledore's summaries at the end of each book.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#33 of 34 Old 04-05-2012, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lily's protection on Harry only applied to Voldemort, right? Harry wasn't immortal, he could be killed by anybody else, or be crushed by a falling piano or whatever.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#34 of 34 Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Lily's protection on Harry only applied to Voldemort, right? Harry wasn't immortal, he could be killed by anybody else, or be crushed by a falling piano or whatever.

Well, perhaps technically.  I would have killed JKR if Harry was killed by a falling piano in the final chapters though.  Too bad for Voldemort that he didn't.  But then there is that issue with the Horcruxes........

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page