Book Challenge February 2012 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 02-22-2012, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

10. The New Hate: A History of Fear and Loathing on the Populist Right by Arthur Goldwag

11. Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

~Daisy~

Unschooling Mother to S, my 6yo "Moon Farmer"energy.gif

#32 of 45 Old 02-22-2012, 09:23 PM

In the Neighborhood by Peter Loenheim

Great food for thought in this book about a man who endeavors to get to know his neighbors and see if they can create a real community.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#33 of 45 Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 PM

Bloodfever, Moning

Quote:
in Dublin the walls are coming down between Man and Faery. That means that the Buffy-like services of MacKayla Lane—the 22-year-old Georgia-born sidhe-seer (or one who can see the Fae) and slayer—are required. Mac is determined to kick the nasties back to faeryland and to avenge her sister Alina's murder by the Fae's dark Lord Master. She's also seeking the sinister Sinsar Dubh, a book of black magic. Jericho Barrons, Mac's enigmatic protector, is a purveyor of books and antiquities (and of course, is a major hunk). As Mac takes direction from Jericho, she must resist the sexy dangers of V'lane, a death-by-sex Fae, and learn about her true family of Irish sidhe-seers. Moning's delectable Mac is breathlessly appealing, and the wild perils she must endure are peppered with endless conundrums. The results are addictively dark, erotic and even shocking.

Faefever, Moning

Quote:

When MacKayla Lane receives a page torn from her dead sister’s journal, she is stunned by Alina’s desperate words. And now MacKayla knows that her sister’s killer is close. But evil is closer. And suddenly the sidhe-seer is on the hunt: For answers. For revenge. And for an ancient book of dark magic so evil that it corrupts anyone who touches it.

Mac’s quest for the Sinsar Dubh takes her into the mean, shapeshifting streets of Dublin, with a suspicious cop on her tail. Forced into a dangerous triangle of alliance with V’lane, a lethal Fae prince, and Jericho Barrons, a man of deadly secrets, Mac is soon locked in a battle for her body, mind, and soul.

Apparently, I'm just going to try and read all this series together...not my original intent, but it really does get better and better.

Hold Tight, Coben

Quote:

A sadistic killer is at play in suburban Glen Rock, N.J., outside New York City, but somehow he's less frightening than the more mundane problems that send ordinary lives into chaos. How do you weigh a child's privacy against a parent's right to know? How do you differentiate normal teenage rebelliousness from out-of-control behavior? When and how do you intervene if suicidal signs appear? Other issues include single parenting; career versus family; marital honesty; and how much information you should share with a child at what age. Coben plucks each of these strings like a virtuoso as Mike and Tia Baye try to deal with the increasing withdrawal of their 16-year-old son, Adam, after a friend's suicide. A pair of brutal, seemingly senseless killings, punctuate the unfolding domestic troubles that ratchet up the tension and engulf the Baye family, their friends and neighbors in a web of increasing tragedy.

I didn't really like this very much...there were 3 different story lines, and I didn't find the way they tied together believable at all.  Brings up interesting questions about teenager's privacy, though.

#34 of 45 Old 02-24-2012, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Quote:

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

I enjoyed this book.  It wasn't a grab-me-by-the-shirt-and-force-me-to-finish-you-in-one-sitting book, but it held my attention and kept me guessing.  Definitely going to read the next one in the series. 

#35 of 45 Old 02-26-2012, 11:17 AM

The Great Wall of Lucy Wu by Wendy Wan-Long Shang

Sweet middle-grade novel about a Chinese-American girl named Lucy who's sixth grade year does not go according to plan. Her grandmother's long lost sister visits from China and Lucy has to share her room with the old woman. She feels like no one understands her and her love for basketball and puts up a wall both literally and figuratively to isolate herself from her family and her great aunt. But little by little, the wall crumbles and maybe the year won't be so bad after all.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#36 of 45 Old 02-26-2012, 11:18 AM

Mister Death's Blue-Eyed Girls by Mary Downing Hahn

Creepy story about two teen girls murdered based on a real life event in the author's life.

#37 of 45 Old 02-26-2012, 02:00 PM

12. The Frightened Man by Kenneth Cameron

13. The Bohemian Girl by Kenneth Cameron

~Daisy~

Unschooling Mother to S, my 6yo "Moon Farmer"energy.gif

#38 of 45 Old 03-01-2012, 06:24 AM

One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia

Excellent book about three African American girls in the 60's who are sent to spend the summer in Oakland, CA with the mother who abandoned them. The girls are spend their days at a Black Panther summer camp or on their own, while there mother writes poetry and basically wants the least to do with them possible. This was a wonderful, original view of a tumultuous time and I just fell in love with the three daughters. This would be a great book to read aloud to children ages 9-12.

#39 of 45 Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igraine View Post

9) The Space Between Us, Thrity Umrigar

"Poignant, evocative, and unforgettable, The Space Between Us is an intimate portrait of a distant yet familiar world. Set in modern-day India, it is the story of two compelling and achingly real women: Sera Dubash, an upper-middle-class Parsi housewife whose opulent surroundings hide the shame and disappointment of her abusive marriage, and Bhima, a stoic illiterate hardened by a life of despair and loss, who has worked in the Dubash household for more than twenty years. A powerful and perceptive literary masterwork, author Thrity Umrigar's extraordinary novel demonstrates how the lives of the rich and poor are intrinsically connected yet vastly removed from each other, and how the strong bonds of womanhood are eternally opposed by the divisions of class and culture."

I read this last month, for book club. I really enjoyed it :)

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#40 of 45 Old 03-01-2012, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan

Quote:
One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, Will Grayson crosses paths with . . . Will Grayson. Two teens with the same name, running in two very different circles, suddenly find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, and culminating in epic turns-of-heart and the most fabulous musical ever to grace the high school stage. Told in alternating voices from two YA superstars, this collaborative novel features a double helping of the heart and humor that have won them both legions of fans.

OMG... if you have not read this book, please do! 

This book was absolutely flippin' amazing!!!  It was so authentic, especially the dialogues... these are the dialogues I hear in the hallways in my high school and the intimate thoughts and feelings I hear from my teen clients in my office.  The characters, all of them are so beautifully full, rich and - again - authentic.  I want a Tiny Cooper in my life! 

#41 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 06:15 AM

12) The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes.

I read this as a break between the other books I am reading right now. What a lovely story and the pretty illustrations reminded me of the picture books I read as a child. This is about bullying, but it has a different spin. The book was written in 1944! And, yet, it is still relevant. 

#42 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 08:35 AM
A&A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just read The Orchard: A Memoir by Theresa Weir. What a beautifully-written book, and a non-traditional love story.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#43 of 45 Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 AM

Night Road, Kristin Hannah

Quote:

For eighteen years, Jude Farraday has put her children’s needs above her own, and it shows—her twins, Mia and Zach—are bright and happy teenagers.  When Lexi Baill moves into their small, close knit community, no one is more welcoming than Jude.  Lexi, a former foster child with a dark past, quickly becomes Mia’s best friend.  Then Zach falls in love with Lexi and the three become inseparable.   

Jude does everything to keep her kids on track for college and out of harm’s way.  It has always been easy-- until senior year of high school.  Suddenly she is at a loss.  Nothing feels safe anymore; every time her kids leave the house, she worries about them. 

On a hot summer’s night her worst fears come true. One decision will change the course of their lives.  In the blink of an eye, the Farraday family will be torn apart and Lexi will lose everything.  In the years that follow, each must face the consequences of that single night and find a way to forget…or the courage to forgive.

Okay, I wasn't in love with this for most of the book -- I found Jude's character kind of annoying, and I wanted to yell at Lexie constantly.  But the ending really made it worthwhile -- engrossing, and such a beautiful story of forgiveness.

#44 of 45 Old 03-04-2012, 12:05 PM

13) Schopenhauer's Porcupines: Intimacy and Its Dilemmas by Deborah Anna Luepnitz, Ph.D.

This was a wonderful book about psychotherapy. Five cases are presented. Dr. Luepnitz carefully discusses the patient, their reason for coming to therapy, how she responds to each of them and how together they work to create solutions. If you are a therapist or have been in therapy and often wondered what your therapist was thinking, you might enjoy it. Others, may just enjoy learning what the process, on both sides, is like.

#45 of 45 Old 03-06-2012, 04:17 AM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page