Longer mystery books for a 9 year old who reads Hardy Boys? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My third grade son is quite an avid reader. He has been devouring Hardy Boys books and is up to 90something in the series. He is looking for something a bit longer than these books, though. I request them from our library system and I need to fill in with something when he's read all the books that we have and the new books aren't in yet. Any suggestions?

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Are the Cam Jansen mysteries too easy for a third grader? I'm afraid I can't recall how old DS was when he was plowing through them. 

Encyclopedia Brown was another favourite, although I think the stories are all fairly short. 

The Screech Owls series by Roy McGregor is about a kids' hockey team that encounters mysteries and adventures on their travels to tournaments. 

The Roman Mystery series by Caroline Lawrence is another possibility. They are set during ancient Rome. The first in the series is The Thieves of Ostia

Hoot by Carl Hiassen has a mysterious aspect to it, as well as a good environmental message. Other titles are Flush and Scat. They are longer novels and probably targeted at slightly older kids, in the 10 to 13 y.o. range.  

Holes by Louis Sachar has a  mystery aspect, although it isn't a typical detective novel, more like an adventure tale. Again, it's for a slightly older reader. 

Old 02-16-2012, 02:25 PM

When I was nine years old, I enjoyed the Three Investigators Mystery series, but they are not longer than the Hardy Boys.  They were fun to read, however.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thought of a few more, although they may be a little challenging depending on his reading level - 

The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd 

The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg 

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

Old 02-17-2012, 12:34 PM

Definitely the Three Investigators. They are far, far better than the Hardy Boys! Many libraries don't have them anymore, but you can find them for a couple of bucks each on Abebooks or Better World Books.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:11 PM

Gordon Korman has some mystery books and usually writes well.

The strange case of origami yoda is fun.  

Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.  He has read one of the Three Investigators books and liked it.  I've requested some more through our library system.  He reads Encyclopedia Brown books when he's waiting for Hardy Boys books to come in.  He can read several of those in a day, but likes them.  He tried Hoot a while back and it didn't suck him in like mysteries tend to do, so he gave up on it.  May try it again.  I'll look into some of those other authors, too.  He informed me last night that he isn't in the mood for Hardy Boys books right now and wants to take a break from them.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.

User Tag List