Book Challenge March 2012 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 04-02-2012, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, this is weird.  I am subscribed to this thread, but am not receiving the email notices regularly, just intermittently.  I'll go poke around, make sure my preferences are up to date....frustrating though, b/c I like to keep up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igraine View Post

You bet fremontmama! I always wonder if there is some "protocol" about starting new threads when it is a continuous discussion Month to Month like this one.

Can't wait to see what everyone has been reading. I am looking for some new ones.

Hmmm, I don't know if there is any protocol!  :)  I think it's just as we go? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post

I've been behind and absent for a while now--depression can really kick your butt--but I've started reading again and am getting caught up now. Got a lot of books to post.

1. Batman: No Man's Land

by Greg Rucka

My review is HERE

2. Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll, An Exclusive Audio Adventure

by Simon Messingham, read by David Tennant

My review is HERE

3. The Shimmer

by David Morrell

My review is HERE

4. Let the Right One In

by John Ajvide Lindqvist

My review is HERE

5. Doctor Who: The Pirate Loop

by Simon Guerrier, read by Freema Agyeman

My review is HERE

6. Those Across the River

by Charles Buehlman

My review is HERE

7. The Hunger Games

by Suzanne Collins

My review is HERE

I've got three more I'm writing about, so hopefully I'll be all caught up soon!

Books for 2012: 1. Batman: No Man's Land, 2. Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll, An Exclusive Audio Adventure, 3. The Shimmer, 4. Let the Right One In, 5. Doctor Who: The Pirate Loop, 6. Those Across the River, 7. The Hunger Games,

You've got some good ones there!  Kick that depression to the curb NCD!  (ps--have you read The Bloggess blog?  she writes very candidly about depression, and she is amazingly funny.  and has an awesome geeky side you would like.  I think she always says "depression lies".

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmomof3 View Post

If you like Bill Cosby, you will enjoy I Didn't Ask To Be Born (But I'm Glad I Was) by Bill Cosby  It had me laughing out loud quite a few times!

The Line by Teri Hall is a ya dystopian novel.  It's sequel is out, but my local public library does not have it yet. 

LOVE Bill Cosby.

Quote:

16) The Wolf Gift, Anne Rice. I finished it! It did improve closer to the end. It wasn't bad, but I did not enjoy it as much as I was hoping. Let us see if she does another. I would read the next one.

I was curious about these!

Quote:

17) Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen.

This was a very easy read and I would recommend for teachers or homeschooling parents or anyone who needs a little dose of compassion. I think it would be a great discussion book for bullying too because it really looks at the whole picture. I wish I had some teens in my life who would read it because I would love to talk about it people in that age group.

"Within Cole Matthews lies anger, rage and hate. Cole has been stealing and fighting for years. This time he caught Peter Driscal in the parking lot and smashed his head against the sidewalk. Now, Peter may have permanent brain damage and Cole is in the biggest trouble of his life.

Cole is offered Circle Justice: a system based on Native American traditions that attempts to provide healing for the criminal offender, the victim, and the community. With prison as his only alternative, Cole plays along. He says he wants to repent, but in his heart, Cole blames his alcoholic mom, his abusive dad, wimpy Peter (everyone but himself) for his situation.

Cole receives a one-year banishment to a remote Alaskan island. There, he is mauled by a mysterious white bear of Native American legend. Hideously injured, Cole waits for death. His thoughts shift from anger to humility. To survive, he must stop blaming others and take responsibility for his life. Rescuers arrive to save Cole's body, but it is the attack of the Spirit Bear that may save his soul.

Ben Mikaelsen paints a vivid picture of a juvenile offender, examining the roots of his anger without absolving him of responsibility for his actions, and questioning a society in which angry people make victims of their peers and communities. TOUCHING SPIRIT BEAR is a poignant testimonial to the power of a pain that can destroy, or lead to healing"

Sounds good!

Quote:

22) No Country for Old Men. Cormac McCarthy. I needed some adult lit after all that YA reading. A good book, but I am still not interested in seeing the movie. Chigurh's character is way too intense for me and I have heard that Javier Bardem's performance was fierce. 

Oh yeah, Javier Bardem is amazingly chilling in that movie.  I like Cormac McCarthy, but you've definitely got to be in the mood for it. His stuff can be so bleak.

Quote:

24) Hunger Games Suzanne Collins. Wow! This was a fun book to read! I could not stop once I started. On to the others in the series.

Unputdownable right?

Just put down The Lacuna, which I couldn't get into.  And am knee deep in Battle Royale and The Art of Fielding, both are really compelling.  Love being absorbed into a good story.  I'll come back soon, (april's thread?!)  and post my books.

Igraine likes this.
#32 of 32 Old 04-02-2012, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

PS---started the new thread!

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1349614/april-2012-book-challenge#post_16933917

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page