Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Books, Music, and Media (http://www.mothering.com/forum/15-books-music-media/)
-   -   Book Challenge March 2012 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/15-books-music-media/1347103-book-challenge-march-2012-a.html)

Igraine 03-06-2012 05:16 AM

So, just by way of clarification (for comers both new and old), guidelines for the Book Challenge Thread are as follows:

1) Post the books you read ... or not
2) Post a recommendation ... or not
3) Number your book ... or not
4) Make a goal for how many books you want to read in 2012 ... or not
5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY

Happy reading everyone!

Igraine 03-06-2012 08:07 PM

14) The Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling.

I am so glad we are reading these aloud! So much in the books never made it to the movies. We are really enjoying these as a family read, but boy my throat hurts from all that reading. That was a long one!

fremontmama 03-07-2012 03:14 PM

Thanks for starting the new thread Igraine!  I think I forgot to subscribe to Feb's thread......

I have a TON of books to post.  Swamped at work though.  I'll have to come back soon.

Happy March everyone!

Igraine 03-07-2012 04:09 PM

You bet fremontmama! I always wonder if there is some "protocol" about starting new threads when it is a continuous discussion Month to Month like this one.

Can't wait to see what everyone has been reading. I am looking for some new ones.

NewCrunchyDaddy 03-09-2012 03:40 PM

I've been behind and absent for a while now--depression can really kick your butt--but I've started reading again and am getting caught up now. Got a lot of books to post.

1. Batman: No Man's Land

by Greg Rucka

My review is HERE

2. Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll, An Exclusive Audio Adventure

by Simon Messingham, read by David Tennant

My review is HERE

3. The Shimmer

by David Morrell

My review is HERE

4. Let the Right One In

by John Ajvide Lindqvist

My review is HERE

5. Doctor Who: The Pirate Loop

by Simon Guerrier, read by Freema Agyeman

My review is HERE

6. Those Across the River

by Charles Buehlman

My review is HERE

7. The Hunger Games

by Suzanne Collins

My review is HERE

I've got three more I'm writing about, so hopefully I'll be all caught up soon!

Books for 2012: 1. Batman: No Man's Land, 2. Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll, An Exclusive Audio Adventure, 3. The Shimmer, 4. Let the Right One In, 5. Doctor Who: The Pirate Loop, 6. Those Across the River, 7. The Hunger Games,

christianmomof3 03-09-2012 05:13 PM

I have done a ton of reading lately.

Here are some I really liked!

French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating For Pleasure by Mireille Guiliano

and

Prized (Birthmarked #2) by Caragh M. O'Brien

and

Cloaked by Alex Flinn - so wonderful!

and I thought this was funny:

I See Rude People: One Woman's Battle to Beat Some Manners Into Impolite Society by Amy Alkon

and I got the following ones free to review from Litfuse and they have giveaways linked in the reviews:

Song of My Heart by Kim Vogel Sawyer

The Maid of Fairbourne Hall by Julie Klassen

Sixty Acres and a Bride by Regina Jennings

More Beauty, Less Beast: Transforming Your Inner Ogre by Debora M. Coty

Holland73 03-10-2012 10:04 AM

The Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Quote:
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washedup child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy—loving best friend riding shotgun—but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.

Another very witty, smart YA book by John Green.  Definitely one of my favorite YA writers. 

Igraine 03-10-2012 07:33 PM

15) Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli.

I enjoyed Star Girl by the same author. This story is Star Girl's letter to Leo about what her life is like since she moved away. I enjoyed it, but it is not a must read. After I finished the first book I remember thinking, "I wish I knew what happened to those characters". I needed something light and enjoyable. I am reading Anne Rice's "The Wolf Gift" and it has been tough. I like her older stuff (The Mayfair Witch books and the early Vampire Chronicles). I am about 3/4's of the way through it and I am beginning to enjoy the characters a little bit more more and am committed to finishing it.

christianmomof3 03-11-2012 03:26 PM

If you like Bill Cosby, you will enjoy I Didn't Ask To Be Born (But I'm Glad I Was) by Bill Cosby  It had me laughing out loud quite a few times!

The Line by Teri Hall is a ya dystopian novel.  It's sequel is out, but my local public library does not have it yet. 

Igraine 03-11-2012 07:05 PM

16) The Wolf Gift, Anne Rice. I finished it! It did improve closer to the end. It wasn't bad, but I did not enjoy it as much as I was hoping. Let us see if she does another. I would read the next one.

kofduke 03-13-2012 07:12 PM

Townie, Dubus

Quote:

After their parents divorced in the 1970s, Andre Dubus III and his three siblings grew up with their overworked mother in a depressed Massachusetts mill town saturated with drugs and everyday violence. Nearby, his father, an eminent author, taught on a college campus and took the kids out on Sundays. The clash between town and gown, between the hard drinking, drugging, and fighting of "townies" and the ambitions of students debating books and ideas, couldn’t have been more stark. In this unforgettable memoir, acclaimed novelist Dubus shows us how he escaped the cycle of violence and found empathy in channeling the stories of others—bridging, in the process, the rift between his father and himself.

I'm really glad I read this.  The author's journey into manhood, and eventually writing, was compelling and interesting.  It adds so much insight into life, and what people turn to to escape desparate situations.

Shadowfever, Morning

Quote:

In an epic battle between humans and Fae, the hunter becomes the hunted when the Sinsar Dubh turns on Mac and begins mowing a deadly path through those she loves.
Who can she turn to? Who can she trust? Who is the woman haunting her dreams? More important, who is Mac herself and what is the destiny she glimpses in the black and crimson designs of an ancient tarot card?

From the luxury of the Lord Master’s penthouse to the sordid depths of an Unseelie nightclub, from the erotic bed of her lover to the terrifying bed of the Unseelie King, Mac’s journey will force her to face the truth of her exile, and to make a choice that will either save the world . . . or destroy it.

Shocking, compelling end to a wonderful series!

Igraine 03-16-2012 06:02 AM

17) Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen.

This was a very easy read and I would recommend for teachers or homeschooling parents or anyone who needs a little dose of compassion. I think it would be a great discussion book for bullying too because it really looks at the whole picture. I wish I had some teens in my life who would read it because I would love to talk about it people in that age group.

"Within Cole Matthews lies anger, rage and hate. Cole has been stealing and fighting for years. This time he caught Peter Driscal in the parking lot and smashed his head against the sidewalk. Now, Peter may have permanent brain damage and Cole is in the biggest trouble of his life.

Cole is offered Circle Justice: a system based on Native American traditions that attempts to provide healing for the criminal offender, the victim, and the community. With prison as his only alternative, Cole plays along. He says he wants to repent, but in his heart, Cole blames his alcoholic mom, his abusive dad, wimpy Peter (everyone but himself) for his situation.

Cole receives a one-year banishment to a remote Alaskan island. There, he is mauled by a mysterious white bear of Native American legend. Hideously injured, Cole waits for death. His thoughts shift from anger to humility. To survive, he must stop blaming others and take responsibility for his life. Rescuers arrive to save Cole's body, but it is the attack of the Spirit Bear that may save his soul.

Ben Mikaelsen paints a vivid picture of a juvenile offender, examining the roots of his anger without absolving him of responsibility for his actions, and questioning a society in which angry people make victims of their peers and communities. TOUCHING SPIRIT BEAR is a poignant testimonial to the power of a pain that can destroy, or lead to healing"

triscuitsmom 03-17-2012 09:08 PM

I have a bunch I books for my own list but first I'd like to say thank you to the previous poster for your post on Touching Spirit Bear. I will be looking for it!

I haven't listed my 2012 books at all yet though I've been meaning to. I'll link reviews as I finish them but for now just the list:

1 The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay

I'll have to come post the rest later as I'm able. Baby is waking.

kofduke 03-18-2012 02:22 PM

Lake of Sorrows, Erin Hart

Quote:
American pathologist Nora Gavin has come to the Irish midlands to examine a body unearthed at a desolate spot known as the Lake of Sorrows. As with all the artifacts culled from its prehistoric depths, the bog has effectively preserved the dead man's remains -- his multiple wounds suggest he was the victim of an ancient pagan sacrifice known as "triple death." But signs of a more recent slaying emerge when a second body, bearing a similar wound pattern, is found -- this one sporting a wristwatch.

Someone has come to this quagmire to sink their dreadful handiwork -- and Nora soon realizes that she is being pulled deeper into the land and all it holds: the secrets to a cache of missing gold, a tumultuous love affair with archaeologist Cormac Maguire, and the dark mysteries and desires of the workers at the site. As they draw closer to the truth, Nora and Cormac must exercise the utmost caution to avoid becoming the next victims of a ruthless killer fixated on the gruesome notion of triple death.

Second book in a three-part series.  While I didn't like this as much as the first installment, Haunted Ground, this was still a richly woven mystery.  Three time periods, that of the ancient druids, the 1970's, and the present are deftly woven together to create the plot.  The characters are richly drawn, particularly Nora but the minor characters as well.

christianmomof3 03-20-2012 04:23 PM

I recently read
Called to Controversy: The Unlikely Story of Moishe Rosen and the Founding of Jews for Jesus by Ruth Rosen
and
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
and
The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman
and
unPLANNED: The dramatic true story of a former Planned Parenthood leader's eye-opening journey across the life line by Abby Johnson with Cindy Lambert

Igraine 03-20-2012 06:15 PM

18) All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome by Kathy Hoopmann. This is a very nice book talking about Asperger Syndrome and a readable and understandable way for kids. And lots of adorable pictures of cats.

19) MIndblind by Jennifer Roy. The world according to a teen age boy with Asperger Syndrome. It was a decent story. I did enjoy how the author portrayed how the young man became overwhelmed by social cues, sensory overloads and various other situations where he had to either tune out or use his coping skills.

http://www.jenniferroy.com/mindblind.html

20) The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. I loved this book. I know I am probably late on the scene about this one, but better late than never. The drawings were beautiful and the story kept me reading until I was done. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon. ;)

mrsmischief 03-22-2012 01:36 PM

14. The American Way of Eating by Tracie McMillan

15. Women Who Run With the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes

Igraine 03-23-2012 05:19 AM

21) Waiting For No One by Beverley Brenna. Another book about a youth with Asperger Syndrome, I have been reading a bunch of books about young with various challenges for my job. I am interested in having a list of books for youth and families to read if they are struggling with a mental health issue, learning disability or other challenges that impact their ability to function in their home, school or community. 

christianmomof3 03-23-2012 04:36 PM

I just read

Rot & Ruin by Johathan Maberry

- it is a zombie apocalypse book.

I have never been into zombies, but did you know that the CDC has a preparedness plan for a zombie apocalypse?

http://emergency.cdc.gov/socialmedia/zombies_blog.asp

really. 

Anyway, I liked Rot & Ruin and now I am reading it's sequel - Dust & Decay.

kofduke 03-24-2012 06:30 AM

Defending Jacob, Landay

Quote:

A fast, compelling, and compulsively readable courtroom drama, Defending Jacob tells the story of a district attorney's son who is accused of killing a classmate. As the father attempts to prove his son's innocence, Landay explores uncomfortable territory. Can a tendency toward violence be inherited? Is the capacity for murder a genetic disposition? The author, a former district attorney, gets the taut nuances just right, capturing the subtleties of a trial in a packed courtroom, where a small rustle or murmur can signify a lot. In the end Landay pulls off a clever plot device that doesn't reveal itself until the final pages. --Neal Thompson

Very readable and thought-provoking, highly recommended.

At Home, Bill Bryson

Quote:

While walking through his own home, a former Church of England rectory built in the 19th century, Bryson reconstructs the fascinating history of the household, room by room. With waggish humor and a knack for unearthing the extraordinary stories behind the seemingly commonplace, he examines how everyday items--things like ice, cookbooks, glass windows, and salt and pepper--transformed the way people lived, and how houses evolved around these new commodities. "Houses are really quite odd things," Bryson writes, and, luckily for us, he is a writer who thrives on oddities. He gracefully draws connections between an eclectic array of events that have affected home life, covering everything from the relationship between cholera outbreaks and modern landscaping, to toxic makeup, highly flammable hoopskirts, and other unexpected hazards of fashion. Fans of Bryson's travel writing will find plenty to love here; his keen eye for detail and delightfully wry wit emerge in the most unlikely places, making At Home an engrossing journey through history, without ever leaving the house.

Not as funny as his travel books which I've loved, but still a readable enough history that leaves you entertained...I found myself wondering how we had jumped to various subjects throughout the course of the book.

kangamitroo 03-26-2012 07:22 PM

some recent reads:

Where the streets had a name by Randa Abdel-Fattah

a Palestinian girl (West Banker) travels with a friend into Jerusalem (illegal due to her West Banker status). her trip of about 6 miles takes 6+ hours due to the many checkpoints etc. along the way you get a close-up look of how hard things can be—but there is lots of uplift, too, to prevent total heartbreak. described as a "middle grades" book. the perspective is definitely one of bridge-building and peacemaking, and the focus is on relationships more than politics.

How all this started by Pete Fromm (author of As cool as I am—great book)

some of this book is heartbreakingly beautiful. but the relationship between brother and sister made me uncomfortable at times. & reading about an intense bipolar character had me thinking on people in my life with that experience. too much.

Eating animals by Jonathan Safran Foer

how i love his fiction. i learned some things from the book, for sure, and i enjoyed his style of personal stories intermingled with facts related to food production/consumption. but i've been vegetarian for 20+ years, so much of the more graphic info was not new.

Stand by me by Neta Jackson

my first read by this author. enjoyable. light "chick lit" with a christian perspective/setting.

Igraine 03-27-2012 05:42 AM

22) No Country for Old Men. Cormac McCarthy. I needed some adult lit after all that YA reading. A good book, but I am still not interested in seeing the movie. Chigurh's character is way too intense for me and I have heard that Javier Bardem's performance was fierce. 

christianmomof3 03-28-2012 10:00 AM

I just read

Bringing Up Bebe by Pamela Druckerman

which was really quite interesting!

I recommend it.

kinkajoujou 03-28-2012 10:06 AM

I'm reading "The Old Devils" by Kingsley Amis. A couple returns to their hometown in Wales and reconnect with old friends and lovers and that stirs up old feuds, tensions and the like. It's quite good and has a wry sort of humor that I really like.

mrsmischief 03-28-2012 10:07 AM

16. Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power by Rachel Maddow (yay for Amazon pre-orders!) 

Igraine 03-31-2012 06:51 AM

23) Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly. Another YA book about a teen girl with Aperger's and ADHD. It was an ok story. Some adult themes that some parents may not want their kids to read (sexual activity between teens and drug use). 

christianmomof3 03-31-2012 05:08 PM

I just read Above World by Jenn Reese and am currently reading The Wandering Gene and the Indian Princess: Race, Religion, and DNA

kofduke 04-01-2012 07:59 AM

False Mermaid, Hart

Quote:

The novel begins with Nora returning to Minneapolis, hoping to solve at long last the murder of her sister, Triona. Convinced that Triona was killed by her husband, Peter, but unable to prove it, Nora retreated to Ireland and began a new life. But now Peter is returning to Minneapolis, and Nora feels she must tackle the unsolved crime before he has a chance to wreak more havoc on her family, especially Triona’s daughter, 11-year-old Elizabeth. Meanwhile, back in Ireland, Cormac becomes ensnared in another long-standing mystery, this one concerning the century-old disappearance of a woman believed to be a selkie a (mermaid who becomes human when she loses her sealskin). The two plot elements are skillfully combined through the feminist view of the selkie’s plight: a woman torn between loyalty to her human family and the lingering need for a return to the independence of the sea.

Overall, I've liked this series; but this is definately my favorite.  I loved the intertwining of the story of the seelkie with Nora's fierce determination to solve her sister's murder.

When She Woke, Jordan

Quote:
Hannah Payne's life has been devoted to church and family. But after she's convicted of murder, she awakens in a new body to a nightmarish new life. She finds herself lying on a table in a bare room, covered only by a paper gown, with cameras broadcasting her every move to millions at home, for whom observing new Chromes--criminals whose skin color has been genetically altered to match the class of their crime--is a sinister form of entertainment. Hannah is a Red for the crime of murder. The victim, says the State of Texas, was her unborn child, and Hannah is determined to protect the identity of the father, a public figure with whom she shared a fierce and forbidden love.  

I liked reading this -- it was an interesting take on a highly politicized and religiously-based America, and what that would mean for women.  Parts of it, I think, could have been explored more deeply and other parts were perhaps unnecessary -- but I certainly think it's worth reading. 

Igraine 04-01-2012 04:58 PM

24) Hunger Games Suzanne Collins. Wow! This was a fun book to read! I could not stop once I started. On to the others in the series.

kangamitroo 04-02-2012 10:20 AM

Derby Girl by Shauna Cross (aka Maggie Mayhem).

this is the YA book that inspired "Whip It", the roller derby film with Ellen Page. In many ways the film followed the book closely. I enjoyed it, read it in one sitting. of course I saw the story in my head with the actors from the movie. a funny coming of age story, perfect for a misfit who lives in the sticks and longs for change.

Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer Holm

quick YA read set in Key West during the Great Depression. the main character, Turtle, was entertaining and often spoke beautiful to describe her circumstances. i enjoyed the unusual setting, full of details. i found the ending far-fetched, but that's ok.