So, has Cinderella eaten YOUR daughter? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-18-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I recently finished Peggy Orenstein's Cinderella Ate My Daughter and have been contemplating it for a week or so, and thought I'd check in to see if any MDC moms have read it.  I'm feeling... conflicted about some of her ideas and conclusions, and wondered if anyone else felt the same way.  Anybody picked this one up yet?   

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#2 of 4 Old 03-19-2012, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've just startednit but I'm interested in hearing what people think and contributing soon!
#3 of 4 Old 03-19-2012, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No. I provided my daughter with lots of strong female role models and lots of stories other than the typical "girl gets rescued" stuff. She's 18 this year and a very empowered woman with great ideas and no fear of expressing them.

Here's a list of books...

Tatterhood

Maid of the North

Girls to the Rescue series

Tamora Peirce's Alanna and Kell series

bios of famous women in history

very few Disney ideas... with Belle as the exception because she was so literate
********************************************************************************************************************
Remember to provide good role models and be a good one yourself.... if you don't know how to do something, show her how to look it up and work through it together.

Teach her to read a map, handle money, use a pocketknife, change a tire, use simple power tools, how to make simple home repairs

Oh, and love your own body! Don't be passing on any body hate to your daughter.
#4 of 4 Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Haven't read the book, but I'll comment anyway!

My girls hate princesses and pink, but they definitely did go thru a sparkly phase at about 3-6. And I definitely did try to acknowledge that phase rather than stifle it, but I also tried to direct it into what I felt were more positive expressions of sparkle and femininity, so we emphasized ballerinas (strong muscles for dancing) and flower fairies (nature) over princesses (shopping, and being pretty). We did read some traditional princess stories, but also read a lot like the PaperBag Princess, etc. Very limited Disney and chose Groovy Girls over Barbies.

My girls would be incredibly offended if you called them princesses now at 11 and 8. They are proud to be girls and feel empowered and like they can do anything, but they are not precociously sexualized and don't wear make-up unless it's Halloween or a performance. They have their own fashion sense and it does not involve having S-E-X-Y written across the butt of their shorts.

So, basically, I think you can allow girls to explore their femininity without letting Cinderella eat them.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page