what adult AUDIO books do you and your child enjoy together - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

today i was listening to Jhumpa Lahiri's Unaccustomed earth when i went to pick up dd in the car and then we both stayed in and listened to it for another hour. 

i am not sure if she would actually 'read' the book, but she really enjoyed listening to it.

so what adult books/audio books do you and your child enjoy reading/listening to. 

this is the first time we both connected on a book we both enjoy. it was an intensely joyful and intensely sad moment (my baby is growing up)

next up we have cleopatra on hold. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have the PERFECT resource for you!  I was just looking for audiobooks to listen to with my teenage daughters and came across this site that has 1,000 audiobooks for $29.99: http://www.dawnapproaches.com/1000-audio-books.html .  I got it a few weeks ago and it has been a Godsend for me. 

There are all the classics and many others and we have been choosing a new book to go through each week on our drives to and from their dance classes and on the weekends when we are relaxing.  I love them personally.  I have purchased 2 items from them so far, this one and their 41,000 epub book collection and have been very pleased.  I am homeschooling my kids so I am constantly looking for good resources to broaden my collection and our learning together.  This has been one of the best for me personally.

#3 of 7 Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

aww thank you for that link. the list is quite impressive.

unfortunately dd and i are very sensitive to who reads. so if we dont like the voice we cant listen to the story. 

well cleopatra was too confusing for both of us, but we really really liked The Help. and watched teh movie and dd was surprised at how much the story had to be changed. now we have the book on hold to read. 

we are also now on a bill bryson kick. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 7 Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'll be watching this thread. I have several road trips for graduations coming up soon and will be doing audio books in the car and have been looking for some the whole family can enjoy (hubby, myself, 9year old and 6 year old).

Thanks,

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#5 of 7 Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

As for a great resource for free audiobook try http://librivox.org/. Since it's free I download a chapter and check out the reading style before wasting time on the rest of it. No modern books, all public domain books. Some of the more popular classics have several different versions so you can choose the reader who you like best. I currently have several classic kids books on my kindle. It looks like all the books on the previously linked collection are on librivox, though you would have to go through the work of downloading it all yourself instead of just purchasing the collection.

I have a few audible credits I'm trying to decide what to do with before our trips.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#6 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

JollyGG, if you haven't done Harry Potter you should definitely try those. I think the first three are great for the whole family and enjoyable enough for the grown ups, too. 

We haven't done a lot of grown-up books when the kids are in the car because I like a lot of darker stuff (murder mysteries, etc) or stuff that has (ick) a love-story element. 

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#7 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post

JollyGG, if you haven't done Harry Potter you should definitely try those. I think the first three are great for the whole family and enjoyable enough for the grown ups, too. 

We haven't done a lot of grown-up books when the kids are in the car because I like a lot of darker stuff (murder mysteries, etc) or stuff that has (ick) a love-story element. 

Warning on HP (The British version): the scary music freaked dd out - the same child who sat thru all the movies in the theater hall. i had to finally ask her to stop listening as she was having too many nightmares. 

beanma dd is getting to the age where she loves love stories (actually she really enjoys them). her fav. audio book was Jane Eyre and fav. movie was Bright Star. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page