Fifty Shades of Grey Trilogy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm halfway through book 2 of the this 3 book trilogy. Book 1 is my May Book Club selection, so I have several weeks to wait before I can discuss the book with anyone. Just wanted to see if anyone has read these books? I'm quite enjoying them, despite the very simplistic, and dare I say Harloquin, writing style.

Any recommendations for other books in the same genre?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I've heard about these, but haven't picked one up to look at it.  I am interested in hearing what other folks have to say. :)

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 22 Old 05-06-2012, 01:05 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I got about halfway through book 1 and gave up. Way too abusive for my tastes.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#4 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 12:36 PM

Initially I thought the same, A&A, but there is a catalyst that causes change in that aspect of them (toward the end of book 1).

I loved them!  The writing is not great, but I really enjoyed reading them.  My sex life has never been better. LOL

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#5 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 01:40 PM

I just finished the 1st one & LOVED it...couldn't put it down!  I know it's hard to believe for anyone that hasn't read it yet,  but it's not just about the sex - I was completely pulled in by the relationship of Christian & Ana.  I can't wait to start Fifty Shades Darker!

I would love to discuss the book but don't want to spoil it for anyone, but I'm definitely willing to :)

#6 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 02:34 PM

#7 of 22 Old 05-12-2012, 08:19 PM

I finished all three books this week and really enjoyed them.

The poster above is right, as the books go on the BDSM becomes less prevalent and Christian's character is delved into deeper to help Ana figure out why he "needs" that. 

They were also correct in saying that they aren't the best books you'll ever read but they are steamy and a fun summer read. Come on ... everyone needs a little steamy fun every once in a while. :)

Just a squeaky girl in a squeaky world.

#8 of 22 Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I'm in the middle of reading the first one now and I'm extremely put off but the abusive tone of this book. First of all, the "dominant" in the book was essentially molested at 15 and kept as some kind of sex slave. He has a lot of issues and he exerts those by having to have control over the women he's with. In no way does that strike me as a healthy adult relationship, or one that should be glorified as "hot." I have no problem with the BDSM proclivity, but to have it based in someone's childhood abuse makes me wary. If two consenting adults want to add this to their sex life, so be it, but for people who have been abused it seems a little too much like perpetuating the cycle.

This book is TERRIBLE. There are so many erotic literature out there, if you want to read that sort of thing. This is just "hot" because it's the one everyone is reading so it's socially okay to talk about having read it.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#9 of 22 Old 05-31-2012, 09:04 PM

Hehe, I finally picked this up at Costco today, was slightly surprised that they had it for sale.

I'm about a hundred pages into it and I'm having fun. Yes, the writing is pretty horrible, but if you can get over that and just enjoy the story/fantasy it's a fun, steamy read. Yes, this will definitely spice up my bedroom for the next couple of weeks. Exactly what the doctor ordered when it comes to TTC!

Now that I am a mom I no longer have time for knit.gif,teapot2.GIF,read.gif
#10 of 22 Old 06-08-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRain View Post

I'm in the middle of reading the first one now and I'm extremely put off but the abusive tone of this book. First of all, the "dominant" in the book was essentially molested at 15 and kept as some kind of sex slave. He has a lot of issues and he exerts those by having to have control over the women he's with. In no way does that strike me as a healthy adult relationship, or one that should be glorified as "hot." I have no problem with the BDSM proclivity, but to have it based in someone's childhood abuse makes me wary. If two consenting adults want to add this to their sex life, so be it, but for people who have been abused it seems a little too much like perpetuating the cycle.

This book is TERRIBLE. There are so many erotic literature out there, if you want to read that sort of thing. This is just "hot" because it's the one everyone is reading so it's socially okay to talk about having read it.

No offense, but your post is based on the first half of the first book. It's true, if you've read only that far. But having read the entire trilogy, Christian & Ana get to and work through all of these issues, as part of a healthy adult relationship - to a very real extent which I will not spoil for anyone else reading it. 

I really, really enjoyed the trilogy and found it so interesting. To be honest, I didn't find it that "hot", cause sexually that is just so not my cup of tea, but I really just found it insightful the way some people do work through their emotional issues through their sex lives, and sometimes in non-conventional ways.  Both characters grow here, an extreme amount, throughout the books. Although the writing is quite basic, I thought the plot was excellent, where erotic literature is usually lacking a bit.

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#11 of 22 Old 06-08-2012, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

i got to say i agree.  when i first started reading this book i was shocked at how well received it was, i found the writing style to be very elementary (similar to reading a sweet valley twin book)  and yeah finding out that he was molested really bothered me too. 

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#12 of 22 Old 06-12-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjsmama View Post

No offense, but your post is based on the first half of the first book. It's true, if you've read only that far. But having read the entire trilogy, Christian & Ana get to and work through all of these issues, as part of a healthy adult relationship - to a very real extent which I will not spoil for anyone else reading it. 

I really, really enjoyed the trilogy and found it so interesting. To be honest, I didn't find it that "hot", cause sexually that is just so not my cup of tea, but I really just found it insightful the way some people do work through their emotional issues through their sex lives, and sometimes in non-conventional ways.  Both characters grow here, an extreme amount, throughout the books. Although the writing is quite basic, I thought the plot was excellent, where erotic literature is usually lacking a bit.

Well, I've finished book 3 and I have to agree that while it starts out dark it becomes an integral part of the story and it develops into a healthier relationship while still keeping the kinky fun. The story is what really gets me hooked on a book, I want to find out what happens with these characters and how they live through it, and I must say I was very entertained with these books. And yes, they do leave me wanting to spice up my love life a bit and be more adventurous in the bedroom.

Now that I am a mom I no longer have time for knit.gif,teapot2.GIF,read.gif
#13 of 22 Old 06-13-2012, 01:14 AM

When I heard that it was a Twilight fan fiction based on Bella and Edward, I kind of lost interest.  Most people I've talked to have said it was a fluff read, entertaining but cheesy as all get out.  When I'm able to borrow a copy without paying for it, I'll give it an afternoon or three to read through it.

RN (34), a bit of a treehugger.gif, fur mama to 3 cat.gif and 1 horse,with a wonderful, artistic hubby (41), married since 2004.

Mama to D.G., born 9/19/12 at 32w4d, who happily fly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIFfambedsingle1.gifcd.gifselectivevax.gifsigncirc1.gif 

#14 of 22 Old 06-13-2012, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

To answer the OP's question about more books in a similar vein (get it, Twilight fans?), the only thing that comes to my own mind is really tangential:  For troubled, compelling, and well-written characters and relationship development, I'd turn to Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#15 of 22 Old 06-26-2012, 06:38 PM

I just finished the series (they were loaned to me). I have an utter love-hate opinion of them.

The writing was pretty awful - very repetitive! It's very "simple" and yet there are random "big words" thrown in there here and there as if that alone would give it some credibility. It really reminded me of the way I used to write as a teenager - not a good thing!!

And yet, I found them to be utterly addictive. At times they actually come across as quite romantic. They were entertaining - a fluff read to be sure. But I still found myself enjoying them in spite of all the flaws.

Happy housewife dishes.gif and SAHM to a beautiful 3 year old DD luxlove.gif and a July 2012 DS! babyf.gifMarried to my best friend since 9/5/07 partners.gif

I love to  sewmachine.gif, photosmile2.gif, and reading.gif.  We cd.gif and goorganic.jpg whenever possible.

#16 of 22 Old 06-28-2012, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I ended up reading all of them, twice actually. Someone put it well when they said "It's alot of icing and not alot of cake, but oh what icing it is!" It's fluff and fun but there are some parts that are still really disturbing to me. I think a lot of people have dated guys like Christian Grey without realizing it. They're brilliant minds, who are attractive (or attracting), but are moody and manic depressive. Sure, maybe they're not millionaires or maybe they're not sex gods, but there is something appealing about the bad boy with the rough past. But anyone who has dated one of these guys will tell you that they emotionally abusive and their moods aren't sexy, they can be scary. The men like this that turn to sex as a release (which is very romanticized in FSOG) aren't love gods who turn into worshipping boyfriends, they're sex addicts. It might be every woman's fantasy to take a troubled man and change him, but I dare any of them to take one of these manic depressives home. Put that together with all that BDSM stuf.... I don't know, that ruined the fantasy for me. Maybe it's because I have a son and the imagery the author paints of a young, abused boy brought tears to my eyes.

So I guess I enjoyed reading the books just like I enjoyed reading Twilight. But the underlying themes with the book were really troubling for me to work through and had me thinking for a long time.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#17 of 22 Old 06-29-2012, 10:31 AM

so im in the middle of book 3. i have to do a looooooooot of skimming because the sex scenes are just so dumb to me and book 3 seems to have a lot more than the others. i dont mind the actual story content though.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#18 of 22 Old 06-30-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:

I ended up reading all of them, twice actually. Someone put it well when they said "It's alot of icing and not alot of cake, but oh what icing it is!" It's fluff and fun but there are some parts that are still really disturbing to me. I think a lot of people have dated guys like Christian Grey without realizing it. They're brilliant minds, who are attractive (or attracting), but are moody and manic depressive. Sure, maybe they're not millionaires or maybe they're not sex gods, but there is something appealing about the bad boy with the rough past. But anyone who has dated one of these guys will tell you that they emotionally abusive and their moods aren't sexy, they can be scary. The men like this that turn to sex as a release (which is very romanticized in FSOG) aren't love gods who turn into worshipping boyfriends, they're sex addicts. It might be every woman's fantasy to take a troubled man and change him, but I dare any of them to take one of these manic depressives home. Put that together with all that BDSM stuf.... I don't know, that ruined the fantasy for me. Maybe it's because I have a son and the imagery the author paints of a young, abused boy brought tears to my eyes.

So I guess I enjoyed reading the books just like I enjoyed reading Twilight. But the underlying themes with the book were really troubling for me to work through and had me thinking for a long time.

ITA. As much as I liked the books, Christian Grey reminded me an awful lot of my ex, and believe me when I say that is not a good thing. *Shudder*

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#19 of 22 Old 06-30-2012, 09:22 PM

haha just like my ex too, without the sex drive and money though.  he was very controlling and over protective and possessive

#20 of 22 Old 07-01-2012, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I ended up reading all of them, twice actually.

Me too! LOL  I completely agree that the writing was by no means amazing and it was extremely repetitive...however, I really did get swept up in the romance and story of Christian and Ana.  You definitely can't judge the series by the first book because the second and third really show you why he is the way he is and also show how they change and grow together.  The books are just a fun, quick summer read and certainly not something that will win any literary awards...but I think we all need to read things like that once in a while!!  :)

#21 of 22 Old 07-28-2012, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)

I only read about half of it.

It is steamy (ish - in a somewhat clinical, let's make lists! kind of way) but that is all it has to offer.

I thought the male character was an a$$.  

To me, it seemed like little more than a hard-core harlequin….it did not do it for me.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#22 of 22 Old 07-28-2012, 02:25 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I thought the male character was an a$$.  

Totally.  What turned me off is that the guy is not JUST dominating in bed.........he's dominating all of the time.  

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page