Audiobooks for 3-5yr olds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-01-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

I am looking for some suggestions on some stories my children can listen to during quiet time. Anyone have ideas for this age group? Something to keep them entertained and actually listening for more than three mins?

Tia
#2 of 10 Old 06-01-2012, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Sorry, I have no ideas, but I have exactly the same question!  Subbing :)

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#3 of 10 Old 06-02-2012, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Do they listen to chapter books yet, or do they need something shorter?  If they enjoy short chapter books, they'd probably be entertained by Junie B. Jones, Magic Treehouse, or Secrets of Droon.  None of those are great literature, but the stories are simple enough that even a 3-year old can follow and enjoy them.  (At least my youngest liked them when he was 3.)

#4 of 10 Old 06-02-2012, 12:52 PM

My kids love the unabridged works of Winnie-the-Pooh and we also have the Cat in the Hat collection. I'm trying to get them into Beatrix Potter but so far they are stuck on the other two. Audio books have made nap time and bed time so much easier. I wish I would have done it a long time ago.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#5 of 10 Old 06-02-2012, 01:32 PM

When we were little, Mom had different books. There were Disney books, old German stories she grew up with (in English), and Bible stories.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#6 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 04:02 PM

I think the best for this age group is the Curious George collection.  Now whenever a good friend has a new baby, I get them a copy of the hard cover Complete Curious George with the audio CD's included.  I think young kids are sometimes more open to audio books if they have heard the stories read outloud before and/or if they can look at the book as well. 

My oldest (who is now 8) used to stand in his learning tower in the kitchen turning the pages of the book while he listened to the CD's while I made breakfast.  Now my girls (5 and 3) listen to them while they are going to sleep (they're on the Ipod now).  The narration of these is excellent.  Also the complete collection represents many many hours of stories--who knew these books were so long!  They will last you for a while, and my kids really like to hear them over and over.

My kids have also really liked a lot of the barefoot books--Tales of Wisdom and Wonder and Animal Tales are probably our favorites.  These are also beautifully read and my husband and I still look at each other once in a while and say "Misery, oh misery, Papa god, why you give me so much misery" which is a line from one of the stories in Tales of Wisdom and Wonder.  These are the kind of stories that make you feel like a really good parent to have your kids listen to.

Your 5 year old would probably enjoy the Magic Treehouse books.  My oldest two started listening to them at about 4 years old--and they both went through a very intense "Jack and Annie" phase.  These are like nails on a chalkboard for me, but not offensive in any way--just annoying.  My 3 year old can't sit still for them. 

Also nails on a chalk board for me is Junie B Jones, but both my girls loved these for a while.  I actually just deleted them off our computer and ipod because I decided they were a bad influence on the 3 year old--a little too mature and obnoxious, but they might not bother you as much.

Best of luck,

Jessi

#7 of 10 Old 06-17-2012, 08:30 PM

Jim Weiss! Both of my kids are huge audio book listeners, and he appealed to both of them. You can order many of them through Amazon, but you can see them all on his page:

http://www.greathall.com/storytelling.html#3up

(Uncle Wiggly and Tell Me A Story are our favorites from that group.)

Also, Sparkle Stories are wonderful. At Home with Martin and Sylvia is great for younger kids. It's a subscription; you get a new story every Friday. Try the sample here:

http://www.sparklestories.com/stories/

-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#8 of 10 Old 09-02-2012, 06:25 AM

We really love to do poetry on cd. Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutsky are both great, but really anyone who is your favorite will do. These are good because they are short enough for our three year old to follow, but funny and entertaining. It’s a good conversation starter.
#9 of 10 Old 09-02-2012, 07:07 AM

When I was a kid my mom recorded herself reading our favorite books aloud. Then she played the tapes in the car to and from school or any time we drove somewhere. I plan to do the same thing for my son.
#10 of 10 Old 09-02-2012, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial-mom View Post

When I was a kid my mom recorded herself reading our favorite books aloud.

I love this idea! I'm going to ask my DD to pick out some books she'd like me to record for her.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page