Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For a few Demons More, Harrison

Quote:

Despite dating one vampire and living with another, Rachel Morgan has always managed to stay just ahead of trouble . . . until now.

A fiendish serial killer stalks the Hollows, and no one living in or around Cincinnati—human, inhuman, or undead—is safe.

An ancient artifact may be the key to stopping the murderer—a mysterious relic that is now in the hands of Rachel Morgan, fearless independent bounty hunter and reckless witch. But revealing it could ignite a battle to the death among the vast and varied local supernatural races.

Rachel's been lucky so far. But even she can't hide from catastrophe forever.

The next book in harrison's Rachel Morgan series...I think these just keep getting better.  The characters are getting more developed, and their backstories are crystallizing certain facets of their personality.  The plot is quick moving and enjoyable.

Last Block in Harlem, Herz

Quote:
All fire escapes lead back to the same block in Sugar Hill, Harlem- where kids run through hydrants and music blares from stereos plugged into lampposts. When a new resident (the story's unnamed narrator) notices the trash polluting the picturesque streets and tainting the block's beauty, he is spurred to action. However, his best intentions go awry when the clean-up brings media coverage that in turn, sets off a rash of evictions and ushers in an influx of new and affluent tenants. In an attempt to preserve his neighborhood, the tenant mobilizes a grassroots effort to improve the neighborhood from the inside out.

Realizing he has yet again polluted his reality with unintended consequences, his fight to clean up the block evolves into a quest to cleanse his soul. The choices he makes cannot change the past and the secrets that haunt him, but will alter the future for himself, his family...and the last block in Harlem.

The book started off well...an interesting perspective on our choices, why we do things, whether they are for us or the greater good.  I found the dialogue between the unnamed narrator and his wife to be stilted, but put that aside for the beautiful sense of place that the author provided, and the relevance of the themes.  The second half of the book begins to get a bit rambly, and then the ending is extraordinarily bizarre...

Old 08-10-2012, 05:13 PM

22. Chronicle of a Death Foretold - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

Old 08-10-2012, 05:27 PM

23) Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordan

24) Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan

25) The Gathering Storm by Robert Jordan/ Brandon Sanderson

There's only two books left in the series, and one of them won't be out until January : ( I've been reading this series for 7 months now and I'm going to be finished so soon!

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

Old 08-11-2012, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian

Quote:
The Sandcastle Girls is a sweeping historical love story steeped in Chris Bohjalian's Armenian heritage.

When Elizabeth Endicott arrives in Aleppo, Syria she has a diploma from Mount Holyoke, a crash course in nursing,  and only the most basic grasp of the Armenian language.  The year is 1915 and she has volunteered on behalf of the Boston-based Friends of Armenia to help deliver food and medical aid to refugees of the Armenian genocide.  There Elizabeth becomes friendly with Armen, a young Armenian engineer who has already lost his wife and infant daughter.  When Armen leaves Aleppo and travels south into Egypt to join the British army, he begins to write Elizabeth letters, and comes to realize that he has fallen in love with the wealthy, young American woman who is so different from the wife he lost.

Fast forward to the present day, where we meet Laura Petrosian, a novelist living in suburban New York.  Although her grandparents' ornate Pelham home was affectionately nicknamed "The Ottoman Annex," Laura has never really given her Armenian heritage much thought. But when an old friend calls, claiming to have seen a newspaper photo of Laura's grandmother promoting an exhibit at a Boston museum, Laura embarks on a journey back through her family's history that reveals love, loss - and a wrenching secret that has been buried for generations.

An absolutely amazing story!  Beautiful writing, all of the characters are so full and rich.  Additionally, it is great to be spreading some knowledge (or at the very least to acknowledge) a tragic historical event that is frequently denied and/or very rarely spoken about or taught in history.     

Old 08-13-2012, 10:48 AM

37. Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens

~Daisy~

Unschooling Mother to S, my 6yo "Moon Farmer"energy.gif

Old 08-16-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Ooopsies!  I just noticed it's still the July thread.  What do you think folks, should we just have one thread for the rest of the year, or keep up with changing the thread every month?

Old 08-18-2012, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

January

1. Skipped Parts - Tim Sandlin  (Nook)

2. The Mill River Recluse - Darcie Chan (Nook)

3. I Used to Know That - Caroline Taggart (Nook)

4. Mom Still Likes You Best (audio book) - Jane Isay (Library)

5. The Snow Angel - Glenn Beck  (Library)

6. Hurricanes in Paradise - Denise Hildreth (Nook)

February

7. I Didn't Ask to Be Born - Bill Cosby (Library)

8. From The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler (DS Copy)

9. House Rules - Rachel Sontag (Library)

10. On a Dollar a Day - Christopher Greenslate (Library)

11. Ella Enchanted - Gail Levine (Library)

12. House of Secrets - Tracie Peterson (Library) 

April

13. Victims - Jonathan Kellerman (Library)

June (no May, not much in April)

14. These Things Hidden - Heather Gudenkauf (library)

15. The Weight of Silence - Heather Gudenkauf (library)

16. The Help - Kathryn Stockett (library)

17. Live Wire - Harlan Coben (my copy) - this maybe titled something else as it's the canadian edition from a second hand shoppe

18. Sickened - Julie Gregory (library)

19. Maine -  J. Courtney Sullivan (library)

July

20. Who Do You Think You Are? - Alyse Myers (library)

21. One Breath Away - Heather Gudenkauf (library)

22. Swallow The Ocean- Laura Flynn (library)

23. Dead Reckoning - Linda Castillo (library)

24 Corpse on the Cob - Sue Jaffarian (library)

August

25. Come Home- Lisa Scottoline (library)

26. Save Me- Lisa Scottoline (my copy) second hand shoppe

*for those that are following my saga - comically called '2012 the year of change'- living with my mother isn't working, so we are going to head back to AZ soon.  My kiddo isn't doing well nor an I mentally and while AZ isn't all sunshine and rainbows at least my mother isn't there to belittle us.  My father isn't a peach either.

Hopefully AZ will be calm and I will be able to read more.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 08-18-2012, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post

Ooopsies!  I just noticed it's still the July thread.  What do you think folks, should we just have one thread for the rest of the year, or keep up with changing the thread every month?

HI- personally I like new threads each month.  That alone gives me reason to check back over here, but I understand that means *someone* needs to start the thread etc.  I guess whatever makes the server and the mods happy!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 08-19-2012, 05:21 AM

I'm new to this thread, but I do like new threads every month. 

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

Old 08-19-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds good. I like the monthly threads too.  Just wondered what others thought.  Guess it's time to start the new thread then!

Here it is!

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1361057/august-2012-book-challenge#post_17081244

User Tag List