September 2012 Book Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-05-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Holy Cats it's September!  How'd that happen?!  Her'e's the September thread.  Happy reading friends!

So, just by way of clarification (for comers both new and old), guidelines for the Book Challenge Thread are as follows:

1) Post the books you read ... or not
2) Post a recommendation ... or not
3) Number your book ... or not
4) Make a goal for how many books you want to read in 2012 ... or not
5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY

Happy reading everyone!

#2 of 21 Old 09-05-2012, 12:31 PM

31) Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

The first time I read it I started on Sept 2nd (the day the book begins) and thought it was a neat coincidence. One year later, without knowing the date (consciously at least) I started reading it again. This is now the fourth time I've reread it starting Sept 2nd. It became a bit of a yearly tradition for me orngbiggrin.gif. I personally love the book although I know it really rubs many people the wrong way. 

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

#3 of 21 Old 09-06-2012, 07:58 AM

A Serpent's Tale, Franklin

Quote:
When King Henry II's mistress is found poisoned, suspicion falls on his estranged queen, Eleanor of Aquitaine. The king orders Adelia Aguilar, expert in the science of death, to investigate-and hopefully stave off civil war. A reluctant Adelia finds herself once again in the company of Rowley Picot, the new Bishop of St. Albans...and her baby's father. Their discoveries into the crime are shocking- and omens of greater danger to come.

I was honestly a bit iffy about the first book in this series, but I really enjoyed this one.  Adelia is commanded by the king to remain in England, to become his investigator into murder.  When the king's mistress is murdered, Adelia's profession becomes more important by turns -- as her investigation has the potential to stave off civil war.  I was interested in Adelia's internal struggles between her profession and her family life, and how to best keep her baby safe when threatened.  The setting is remarkably described.  Overall, an interesting work of historical fiction.

The Outlaw Demon Wails, Harrison

Quote:

When you dance with demons, you lay your soul on the line . . .

In the Hollows, where the natural and the supernatural co-exist—not always peacefully—desperate times often call for unorthodox measures. But bounty hunter-witch Rachel Morgan did the absolutely unthinkable to save the lives of her friends: she willingly trafficked in forbidden demon magic. And now her sins have come home to haunt her.

As Rachel hunts for the truth behind a terrifying murder, the discovery of a shocking family secret is about to throw her entire life into question. And the long-lost ancient knowledge she seeks resides in the demonic ever-after.

Another great installment in the Rachel Morgan series...Rachel is beginning to discover truths about herself that cause her to question everything she has ever believed.

#4 of 21 Old 09-06-2012, 11:47 AM

41. The Betrayal of Liliuokalani: Last Queen of Hawaii by Helena G Allen

42. Princess Kaiulani of Hawaii: The Monarchy's Last Hope

43. Then They're Were None by Martha H Noyes

44. Hawaiian Mythology by Martha Warren Beckwith

45. Shoal of Time: A History of the Hawaiian Islands by Gavan Daws

Can you tell my daughter has expressed interest in learning about Hawaii, its history, and this part of her family heritage? A fascinating research project for me I must say! 

~Daisy~

Unschooling Mother to S, my 6yo "Moon Farmer"energy.gif

#5 of 21 Old 09-06-2012, 03:59 PM

mrsmischief-

I LOVED the book Shark Dialogues by Kiana Davenport and learned a lot about Hawaii through it. Although its not at all appropriate for your DD I think its a great read.

Quote:
This expansive and engrossing multigenerational saga details the history of Hawaii through the experiences of one family. It begins in the 19th century with the dramatic meeting of a young Yankee sailor and a beautiful Tahitian princess. Their descendants, who live in contemporary Hawaii, are four cousins named Vanya, Ming, Rachel, and Jess who have been brought up by Pono, a kahuna, or seer, who has never talked about her mysterious past to her four granddaughters. Davenport deftly includes much information in the narrative--about politics, leprosy, and the racial melting pot that is Hawaiian society--with a minimum of didacticism. She incorporates folklore, history, and myth in a vivid, lush prose style that only occasionally becomes overwrought.
.-- Nancy Pearl, Washington Ctr . for the Book, Seattle

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

#6 of 21 Old 09-07-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaT View Post

mrsmischief-

I LOVED the book Shark Dialogues by Kiana Davenport and learned a lot about Hawaii through it. Although its not at all appropriate for your DD I think its a great read.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll be looking into this book. 

~Daisy~

#7 of 21 Old 09-10-2012, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

January

1. Skipped Parts - Tim Sandlin  (Nook)

2. The Mill River Recluse - Darcie Chan (Nook)

3. I Used to Know That - Caroline Taggart (Nook)

4. Mom Still Likes You Best (audio book) - Jane Isay (Library)

5. The Snow Angel - Glenn Beck  (Library)

6. Hurricanes in Paradise - Denise Hildreth (Nook)

February

7. I Didn't Ask to Be Born - Bill Cosby (Library)

8. From The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler (DS Copy)

9. House Rules - Rachel Sontag (Library)

10. On a Dollar a Day - Christopher Greenslate (Library)

11. Ella Enchanted - Gail Levine (Library)

12. House of Secrets - Tracie Peterson (Library) 

April

13. Victims - Jonathan Kellerman (Library)

June (no May, not much in April)

14. These Things Hidden - Heather Gudenkauf (library)

15. The Weight of Silence - Heather Gudenkauf (library)

16. The Help - Kathryn Stockett (library)

17. Live Wire - Harlan Coben (my copy) - this maybe titled something else as it's the canadian edition from a second hand shoppe

18. Sickened - Julie Gregory (library)

19. Maine -  J. Courtney Sullivan (library)

July

20. Who Do You Think You Are? - Alyse Myers (library)

21. One Breath Away - Heather Gudenkauf (library)

22. Swallow The Ocean- Laura Flynn (library)

23. Dead Reckoning - Linda Castillo (library)

24 Corpse on the Cob - Sue Jaffarian (library)

August

25. Come Home- Lisa Scottoline (library)

26. Save Me- Lisa Scottoline (my copy) second hand shoppe

September

27. Too Big To Miss - Sue Jaffarian (library)

28. The Curse of the Holy Pail - Sue Jaffarian (library)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#8 of 21 Old 09-10-2012, 07:51 PM

Reading a hilarious series by Sue Jaffarian - the Odelia Grey mysteries series- There are 6-7 of them and they kinda go in order.  Hilarious, funny and just light books.

I LOVE THE LIBRARY.  We were there FIVE times last week between both cities!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#9 of 21 Old 09-11-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmischief View Post

41. The Betrayal of Liliuokalani: Last Queen of Hawaii by Helena G Allen

42. Princess Kaiulani of Hawaii: The Monarchy's Last Hope

43. Then They're Were None by Martha H Noyes

44. Hawaiian Mythology by Martha Warren Beckwith

45. Shoal of Time: A History of the Hawaiian Islands by Gavan Daws

Can you tell my daughter has expressed interest in learning about Hawaii, its history, and this part of her family heritage? A fascinating research project for me I must say! 

Fun!  A couple of those are already on my list orngbiggrin.gif

Quote:

mrsmischief-

*That* looks good!  Adding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

Reading a hilarious series by Sue Jaffarian - the Odelia Grey mysteries series- There are 6-7 of them and they kinda go in order.  Hilarious, funny and just light books.

I LOVE THE LIBRARY.  We were there FIVE times last week between both cities!

I love our library too.  I'm so pleased they are open again after the furlough.  Phew!

I've got another round of books to post.  I'll have to come back later to do it.  Slammed today.  I think I'm only at about 40ish books for the year.  My challenge to myself was to read 75 books, so we'll see!

#10 of 21 Old 09-11-2012, 12:40 PM

Our library is so sad and small :(

I am actually planning on going in one day soon and trying to brainstorm ideas for fundraisers.I really don't think it has been updated in at least a decade. This is not a poor community, I'm not sure why the library is so dejected.

#11 of 21 Old 09-12-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am actually planning on going in one day soon and trying to brainstorm ideas for fundraisers.I really don't think it has been updated in at least a decade. This is not a poor community, I'm not sure why the library is so dejected.

Sad! greensad.gif  I think libraries are so important to all communities!  Good luck!

#12 of 21 Old 09-14-2012, 09:38 AM

August

23.Chronical of a Death Foretold - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

24. Abarat - Clive Barker (re-read)

25. Days of Magic, Nights of War - Clive Barker

26. Absolute Midnight - Clive Barker

27. Outlander - Diana Gabaldon

I am still on my first book for September, Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. 

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

#13 of 21 Old 09-17-2012, 06:22 AM

46. Project Based Homeschooling by Lori McWilliam Pickert

47. If This is a Gift, Can I Send it Back?: Surviving in the Land of the Gifted and Twice Exceptional by Jen Merill

~Daisy~

#14 of 21 Old 09-19-2012, 08:01 AM

Dance with Dragons, George RR Martin

Quote:
In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance once again--beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has three times three thousand enemies, and many have set out to find her. Yet, as they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

To the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone--a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge yet. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

And from all corners, bitter conflicts soon reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all. . .

I really, really loved the sections focusing on Danerys and Jon Snow.  The other characters held my attention but not to the extent of these two.  After all the time I've devoted to these books, I can't believe that now I have to wait for a new release!

Summer of Night, Simmons

Quote:
It’s the summer of 1960 and in the small town of Elm Haven, Illinois, five twelve-year-old boys are forging the powerful bonds that a lifetime of change will not break.  From sunset bike rides to shaded hiding places in the woods, the boys’ days are marked by all of the secrets and silences of an idyllic middle-childhood.  But amid the sundrenched cornfields their loyalty will be pitilessly tested. When a long-silent bell peals in the middle of the night, the townsfolk know it marks the end of their carefree days. From the depths of the Old Central School, a hulking fortress tinged with the mahogany scent of coffins, an invisible evil is rising.  Strange and horrifying events begin to overtake everyday life, spreading terror through the once idyllic town.  Determined to exorcize this ancient plague, Mike, Duane, Dale, Harlen, and Kevin must wage a war of blood—against an arcane abomination who owns the night...

Creepy, delightful coming of age novel that had me scared out of my wits...perfect for this time of year!

#15 of 21 Old 09-19-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke View Post

Dance with Dragons, George RR Martin

I really, really loved the sections focusing on Danerys and Jon Snow.  The other characters held my attention but not to the extent of these two.  After all the time I've devoted to these books, I can't believe that now I have to wait for a new release!

I agree! With GRRM's current track record who knows when the next one will come out! irked.gif lol 

#16 of 21 Old 09-22-2012, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:

Do they have inter-library loan?

The branch I work at is tiny - but it is part of an 18 branch system and we order stuff form other branches all the time.

We are also part of a province wide inter-library loan circuit - I really can get almost any book!  

Talk to your librarian - I hope your branch just looks pathetic, while secretly being a small and powerful entity.

Anyhow...

I am reading "White Heat" by McGrath- a mystery set in the Canadian high Arctic.  I am loving the setting - and learning more about a culture I know very little about.

Earlier this month I read "the Woman Who Went To Bed for a Year,"  by Sue Townsend.  I found it dragged after a bit, but I would still recommend it.  This is a good book for anyone who wishes they could escape domesticity and unfulfilling relationships and go to bed for year.  I could really relate to it (not every day - but you know, on those days).

The Language of Flowers, by Diffenbaugh.  I loved this book. The story starts on the day the main character ages out of the foster care system.  It is about how she learns to accept love and live beyond the immediate present.  She has a passion for flowers and what different flowers mean - as a wannabe gardener, I enjoyed this part of the book as well.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#17 of 21 Old 09-23-2012, 05:39 PM

Just started Gone With the Wind - revisiting an all-time fave! I've also been perusing Sew Liberated and Happy Home, two sewing books.

Happy housewife dishes.gif and SAHM to a beautiful 3 year old DD luxlove.gif and a July 2012 DS! babyf.gifMarried to my best friend since 9/5/07 partners.gif

I love to  sewmachine.gif, photosmile2.gif, and reading.gif.  We cd.gif and goorganic.jpg whenever possible.

#18 of 21 Old 09-28-2012, 06:23 AM

These things hidden, Gudenkampf

Quote:
pens with the release of 21-year-old Allison Glenn from prison, where she has served five years for an unspecified but particularly horrible crime. Allison is reluctant to enter a halfway house in her hometown of Linden Falls, Iowa, where "even a heroin-addicted prostitute arrested for armed robbery and murder would get more compassion than I ever will." Allison, her family's former golden girl, secures a job at a local bookstore, but her efforts to resume some sort of normal life are undermined by her well-to-do parents' indifference, her sister's hatred, and the stigma of her conviction. Meanwhile, one little boy holds the key to the tragedy that led to Allison's imprisonment. The author slowly and expertly reveals the truth in a tale so chillingly real, it could have come from the latest headlines.

I listened to this one on audio, and I wasn't in love with it.  For one thing, one of the voices used for one of the three major characters was almost too smooth and polished to me, not how I imagined the character at all, so that interfered with my listening. Also, while I kind of expected the "twist" at the end of the story, due to some fairly obvious foreshadowing, at the same time it felt contrived and put the entire rest of the book into doubt.

#19 of 21 Old 09-28-2012, 08:29 AM

32) The Memoirs of Cleopatra- Margarte George 

While I enjoyed this book, I felt as if the last 1/3 dragged a bit

#20 of 21 Old 09-30-2012, 09:06 PM

January

1. Skipped Parts - Tim Sandlin  (Nook)

2. The Mill River Recluse - Darcie Chan (Nook)

3. I Used to Know That - Caroline Taggart (Nook)

4. Mom Still Likes You Best (audio book) - Jane Isay (Library)

5. The Snow Angel - Glenn Beck  (Library)

6. Hurricanes in Paradise - Denise Hildreth (Nook)

February

7. I Didn't Ask to Be Born - Bill Cosby (Library)

8. From The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler (DS Copy)

9. House Rules - Rachel Sontag (Library)

10. On a Dollar a Day - Christopher Greenslate (Library)

11. Ella Enchanted - Gail Levine (Library)

12. House of Secrets - Tracie Peterson (Library) 

April

13. Victims - Jonathan Kellerman (Library)

June (no May, not much in April)

14. These Things Hidden - Heather Gudenkauf (library)

15. The Weight of Silence - Heather Gudenkauf (library)

16. The Help - Kathryn Stockett (library)

17. Live Wire - Harlan Coben (my copy) - this maybe titled something else as it's the canadian edition from a second hand shoppe

18. Sickened - Julie Gregory (library)

19. Maine -  J. Courtney Sullivan (library)

July

20. Who Do You Think You Are? - Alyse Myers (library)

21. One Breath Away - Heather Gudenkauf (library)

22. Swallow The Ocean- Laura Flynn (library)

23. Dead Reckoning - Linda Castillo (library)

24 Corpse on the Cob - Sue Jaffarian (library)

August

25. Come Home- Lisa Scottoline (library)

26. Save Me- Lisa Scottoline (my copy) second hand shoppe

September

27. Too Big To Miss - Sue Jaffarian (library)

28. The Curse of the Holy Pail - Sue Jaffarian (library)

29. The Last Lie - Stephen White (library)

30. Trust Your Eyes - Linwood Barclay (library)

October

#21 of 21 Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

October thread is here;

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1364901/october-2012-book-challenge

Happy October!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page