November 2012 Book Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-10-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

November is here!  Or was already here, I'm just slow on the draw.

So, just by way of clarification (for comers both new and old), guidelines for the Book Challenge Thread are as follows:

1) Post the books you read ... or not
2) Post a recommendation ... or not
3) Number your book ... or not
4) Make a goal for how many books you want to read in 2012 ... or not
5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY)

#2 of 12 Old 11-10-2012, 12:27 PM

50) Dawn by Octavia Butler.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60929.Dawn

#3 of 12 Old 11-11-2012, 03:47 PM

51)  Adulthood Rites Octavia Butler

#4 of 12 Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Igraine, those sound fun.  Octavia Butler is on my to read list orngbiggrin.gif

I think I have another batch of books to post, I'll come back soon!  I'm reading Gone With The Wind and Game of Thrones right now.  Both are super good.

#5 of 12 Old 11-17-2012, 12:05 PM

52) Imago Octavia Butler. The final book in Lilith's Brood. Such a moving and thought provoking series. Below is an interesting review.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2009/10/playing-human-in-octavia-butlers-lemgimagolemg

#6 of 12 Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM

I don't remember where or when I stopped last, so I'm just going to start over:

FEBRUARY

1. Batman: No Man's Land by Greg Rucka

MARCH

2. Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll by Simon Messingham, read by David Tennant

3. The Shimmer by David Morrell

4. Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist, translated by Ebba Segerberg

5. Doctor Who: The Pirate Loop by Simon Guerrier, read by Freema Ageyman

6. Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman

7. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

8. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

9. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

APRIL

10. Doctor Who: Touched by an Angel by Jonathan Morris

11. Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island by Mike Tucker, read by Anthony Stewart Head

12. The Alienist by Caleb Carr

13. One Second After by William R. Forstchen

MAY

14. Shadows Over Baker Street: New Tales of Terror edited by Michael Reeves and John Pelan

15. The Haunted Vagina by Carlton Mellick III

JUNE

16: The Zombie Autopsies: Secret Notebooks from the Apocalypse by Steven C. Schlozman, M.D.

17. World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks

18. Star Wars: Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber

JULY

19. Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King, read by Stephen King and William Hurt

20. The Dark Tower, Book I: The Gunslinger by Stephen King, read by George Guidall

21. The Dark Tower, Book II: The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King, read by Frank Muller

22. The Dark Tower, Book III: The Waste Lands by Stephen King, read by Frank Muller

AUGUST

23. The Dark Tower, Book IV: Wizard and Glass by Stephen King, read by Frank Muller

24. The Dark Tower, Book IV½: The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King, read by Stephen King

25. The Totem by David Morell

SEPTEMBER

26. Wonder Woman by S.D. Perry and Britta Dennison

27. A Face in the Crowd by Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan

28. Eaters of the Dead: The Manuscript of ibn Fadlan, Relating His Experiences with the Northmen in a.D. 922 by Michael Crichton

29. The Dark Tower, Book V: Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King, read by George Guidall

30. Remove Child Before Folding: The 101 Stupidest, Silliest and Wackiest Warning Labels Ever by Bob Dorigo Jones

OCTOBER

31. The Dark Tower, Book VI: Song of Susannah by Stephen King, read by George Guidall

32. The Dark Tower, Book VII: The Dark Tower by Stephen King, read by George Guidall

33. Let's Pretend This Never Happened (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson, read by Jenny Lawson

34. All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren, read by Michael Emerson

35. In the Tall Grass by Stephen King and Joe Hill, read by Stephen Lang

36. Creepiosity: A Hilarious Guide to the Unintentionally Creepy by David Beckel

37. Doctor Who: The Hounds of Artemis by James Goss, read by Matt Smith and Clare Corbett

38. Doctor Who: The Ring of Steel by Stephen Cole, read by Arthur Darvill

39. Doctor Who: The Runaway Train by Oli Smith, read by Matt Smith

40. Doctor Who: The Eye of the Jungle by Darren Jones, read by David Troughton

41. Doctor Who: Forever Autumn by Mark Morris, read by Will Thorp

42. Doctor Who: The Gemini Contagion by Jason Arnopp, read by Meera Syal

43. Doctor Who: The Jade Pyramid by Martin Day, read by Matt Smith

NOVEMBER

44. The Terror by Dan Simmons, read by John Lee

45. Doctor Who: The Angel's Kiss, A Melody Malone Mystery by Justin Richards

46. The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris, read by Frank Muller

47. Monsters and Mormons: Thirty Tales of Adventure and Terror edited by WM Morris and Theric Jepson

48. Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin

49. Rose Madder by Stephen King, read by Blair Brown and Stephen King

Yes ... there is a lot of Doctor Who in there, but the audiobooks are only about an hour to 90-minutes long, and I have 5-6 hours where I am literally all alone at work with no one else, so audiobooks fill the silence!

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#7 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 PM

53) Wallace: The Underdog Who Conquered a Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed Pit Bulls--One Flying Disc at a Time by Jim Gorant. I enjoyed this, but I am a sucker for a good dog story.

54) The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo. This was a very sweet book. We did this as a family read aloud.
#8 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

THat's a helluva list NCD!  Go super reader go!  :)

Igraine, I love any Kate DiCamillio book, they are all so good!

I've got a big ol' pile of books to post.  I'll  have to come back when I have my list.  I wonder how close I am to my goal of 75?........

#9 of 12 Old 12-02-2012, 01:13 PM

Three new ones:

FEBRUARY

1. Batman: No Man's Land by Greg Rucka

MARCH

2. Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll by Simon Messingham, read by David Tennant

3. The Shimmer by David Morrell

4. Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist, translated by Ebba Segerberg

5. Doctor Who: The Pirate Loop by Simon Guerrier, read by Freema Ageyman

6. Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman

7. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

8. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

9. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

APRIL

10. Doctor Who: Touched by an Angel by Jonathan Morris

11. Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island by Mike Tucker, read by Anthony Stewart Head

12. The Alienist by Caleb Carr

13. One Second After by William R. Forstchen

MAY

14. Shadows Over Baker Street: New Tales of Terror edited by Michael Reeves and John Pelan

15. The Haunted Vagina by Carlton Mellick III

JUNE

16: The Zombie Autopsies: Secret Notebooks from the Apocalypse by Steven C. Schlozman, M.D.

17. World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks

18. Star Wars: Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber

JULY

19. Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King, read by Stephen King and William Hurt

20. The Dark Tower, Book I: The Gunslinger by Stephen King, read by George Guidall

21. The Dark Tower, Book II: The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King, read by Frank Muller

22. The Dark Tower, Book III: The Waste Lands by Stephen King, read by Frank Muller

AUGUST

23. The Dark Tower, Book IV: Wizard and Glass by Stephen King, read by Frank Muller

24. The Dark Tower, Book IV½: The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King, read by Stephen King

25. The Totem by David Morell

SEPTEMBER

26. Wonder Woman by S.D. Perry and Britta Dennison

27. A Face in the Crowd by Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan

28. Eaters of the Dead: The Manuscript of ibn Fadlan, Relating His Experiences with the Northmen in a.D. 922 by Michael Crichton

29. The Dark Tower, Book V: Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King, read by George Guidall

30. Remove Child Before Folding: The 101 Stupidest, Silliest and Wackiest Warning Labels Ever by Bob Dorigo Jones

OCTOBER

31. The Dark Tower, Book VI: Song of Susannah by Stephen King, read by George Guidall

32. The Dark Tower, Book VII: The Dark Tower by Stephen King, read by George Guidall

33. Let's Pretend This Never Happened (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson, read by Jenny Lawson

34. All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren, read by Michael Emerson

35. In the Tall Grass by Stephen King and Joe Hill, read by Stephen Lang

36. Creepiosity: A Hilarious Guide to the Unintentionally Creepy by David Beckel

37. Doctor Who: The Hounds of Artemis by James Goss, read by Matt Smith and Clare Corbett

38. Doctor Who: The Ring of Steel by Stephen Cole, read by Arthur Darvill

39. Doctor Who: The Runaway Train by Oli Smith, read by Matt Smith

40. Doctor Who: The Eye of the Jungle by Darren Jones, read by David Troughton

41. Doctor Who: Forever Autumn by Mark Morris, read by Will Thorp

42. Doctor Who: The Gemini Contagion by Jason Arnopp, read by Meera Syal

43. Doctor Who: The Jade Pyramid by Martin Day, read by Matt Smith

NOVEMBER

44. The Terror by Dan Simmons, read by John Lee

45. Doctor Who: The Angel's Kiss, A Melody Malone Mystery by Justin Richards

46. The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris, read by Frank Muller

47. Monsters and Mormons: Thirty Tales of Adventure and Terror edited by WM Morris and Theric Jepson

48. Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin

49. Rose Madder by Stephen King, read by Blair Brown and Stephen King

50. K is for Knifeball: An Alphabet of TERRIBLE Advice by Avery Monson and Jorry John

DECEMBER

51. The Peshawar Lancers by S.M. Stirling

52. A Song of Ice and Fire, Book I: Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, read by Roy Dotrice

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#10 of 12 Old 12-05-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm not anywhere near my goal!  I don't think I'll make it this year, b/c my goal was 75 books, and I'm only at 49!  Oh well.  I'm still only reading books I'm truly enjoying, except for a few non-fiction here and there, and I hate-read the rest of the Fifty Shades books.  Those were annoying.

#45  The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory

Super good.  Loved that this is a companion book with The White Queen and they tell essentially the same story from the two different houses warring with each other over the throne in England.

#46  Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James

Eh.

#47  The Two Income Trap by Elizabeth Warren

Depressing but informative.

#48 The Witches by Roald Dahl

Really fun.  Read this with the kids for our creepy October book.  All three of us really enjoyed it.

#49 End This Depression Now! by Paul Krugman

Also depressing but informative.

#11 of 12 Old 12-10-2012, 03:13 AM

The Vanishers, Julavits

Quote:

After angering her jealous mentor, Julia, an up-and-coming psychic, is exiled from the Institute of Integrated Parapsychology, an elite psychic academy dubbed the Workshop. Subjected to a "psychic attack," Julia is crippled of her powers, until she receives an offer she can't refuse: to team up with her mentor's academic rival to get revenge, while seeking out a mysterious filmmaker who may have a connection to Julia's dead mother. It's a bizarre adventure that takes her to a recovery facility for victims of psychic attacks and which doubles as a spa for plastic surgery patients. Beneath The Vanishers’ quirky, metaphysical charms is a dark, Freudian undercurrent--Julia can’t help comparing her mother’s suicide to Sylvia Plath's--that surfaces at the very end in a satisfying, thrilling twist.

Just okay -- there was a lot going on in a slim volume.  More about the relationship between women than the psychic energy.

The Light Between Oceans, Stedman

Quote:

Tom Sherbourne is a lighthouse keeper on Janus Rock, a tiny island a half day’s boat journey from the coast of Western Australia. When a baby washes up in a rowboat, he and his young wife Isabel decide to raise the child as their own. The baby seems like a gift from God, and the couple’s reasoning for keeping her seduces the reader into entering the waters of treacherous morality even as Tom--whose moral code withstood the horrors of World War I--begins to waver. M. L. Stedman’s vivid characters and gorgeous descriptions of the solitude of Janus Rock and of the unpredictable Australian frontier create a perfect backdrop for the tale of longing, loss, and the overwhelming love for a child that is The Light Between Oceans.

Amazing and gorgeous...each of the characters is so fully developed and wonderfully read..the story is tragic yet moving. 

Devil in Silver, Lavalle

Quote:

Pepper is a rambunctious big man, minor-league troublemaker, working-class hero (in his own mind), and, suddenly, the surprised inmate of a budget-strapped mental institution in Queens, New York. He's not mentally ill, but that doesn't seem to matter. He is accused of a crime he can't quite square with his memory. In the darkness of his room on his first night, he's visited by a terrifying creature with the body of an old man and the head of a bison who nearly kills him before being hustled away by the hospital staff. It's no delusion: The other patients confirm that a hungry devil roams the hallways when the sun goes down. Pepper rallies three other inmates in a plot to fight back: Dorry, an octogenarian schizophrenic who's been on the ward for decades and knows all its secrets; Coffee, an African immigrant with severe OCD, who tries desperately to send alarms to the outside world; and Loochie, a bipolar teenage girl who acts as the group's enforcer. Battling the pill-pushing staff, one another, and their own minds, they try to kill the monster that's stalking them. But can the Devil die?

The Devil in Silver brilliantly brings together the compelling themes that spark all of Victor LaValle's radiant fiction: faith, race, class, madness, and our relationship with the unseen and the uncanny. More than that, it's a thrillingly suspenseful work of literary horror about friendship, love, and the courage to slay our own demons.

State of Wonder, Patchett

Quote:

As Dr. Marina Singh embarks upon an uncertain odyssey into the insect-infested Amazon, she will be forced to surrender herself to the lush but forbidding world that awaits within the jungle. Charged with finding her former mentor Dr. Annick Swenson, a researcher who has disappeared while working on a valuable new drug, she will have to confront her own memories of tragedy and sacrifice as she journeys into the unforgiving heart of darkness. Stirring and luminous, State of Wonder is a world unto itself, where unlikely beauty stands beside unimaginable loss beneath the rain forest's jeweled canopy.

The Watchers, Steele

Quote:
Beneath Lausanne Cathedral, in Switzerland, there is a secret buried before time began, something unknown to angels and men, until now...

Marc Rochat watches over the city at night from the belfry of the cathedral. He lives in a world of shadows and "beforetimes" and imaginary beings.
Katherine Taylor, call girl and daydreamer, is about to discover that her real-life fairy tale is too good to be true.
Jay Harper, private detective, wakes up in a crummy hotel room with no memory. When the telephone rings and he's offered a job, he knows he has no choice but to accept.

Three lives, one purpose: save what's left of paradise before all hell breaks loose.

I wanted to like this more than I did.  The concept is great -- however the beginning is slow moving, and once you get to the plot it seems like there's too much jammed in, and it's all going to fast.  Despite this, it's an interesting concept.

Snow Child, Ivey

Quote:
Alaska, 1920: a brutal place to homestead, and especially tough for recent arrivals Jack and Mabel. Childless, they are drifting apart--he breaking under the weight of the work of the farm; she crumbling from loneliness and despair. In a moment of levity during the season's first snowfall, they build a child out of snow. The next morning the snow child is gone--but they glimpse a young, blonde-haired girl running through the trees.

This little girl, who calls herself Faina, seems to be a child of the woods. She hunts with a red fox at her side, skims lightly across the snow, and somehow survives alone in the Alaskan wilderness. As Jack and Mabel struggle to understand this child who could have stepped from the pages of a fairy tale, they come to love her as their own daughter. But in this beautiful, violent place things are rarely as they appear, and what they eventually learn about Faina will transform all of them.

Lovely book -- the sense of place, on a brutal alaska farmtead, is so well developed, which is necessary to truly tell this tale.

#12 of 12 Old 12-10-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page