Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Books, Music, and Media (http://www.mothering.com/forum/15-books-music-media/)
-   -   What is your favorite Christmas movie? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/15-books-music-media/1369067-what-your-favorite-christmas-movie.html)

cynthia mosher 11-29-2012 12:18 PM

I'm trying to start a list. So far I have: 

A Christmas Story

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Do you have any favorite or "family tradition" movies you watch during the holidays?

kathymuggle 11-29-2012 12:30 PM

Elf

Mama4life14 11-29-2012 12:39 PM

National Lampoons Christmas. Such a funny movie! We watch it every Christmas eve!

pek64 11-29-2012 12:44 PM

It looks like you're looking movies geared toward younger kids.

When my son was younger, favorites were :

It's a Wonderful Life
The Bishop's Wife
Not a movie, but Dick Van Dyke Christmas episodes.
Holiday Inn
White Christmas

Not sure of the name but Fred Astaire plays the owner of a Santa suit shop who helps 3 would be Santas straighten their lives. Although he was older for this one.

We also made a tape of Christmas songs from cartoon specials.

We love old classics. Can you tell?

Other good specials :

Santa Claus is coming to town
frosty
Rudolph
Little drummer boy

If you can find it, a Christmas song animation special. We Three Kings was done by wise men and camels. I don't know the name.

What about Miracle on 34th street?

Snow (the movie). He was older but thinks he would have liked it when young.

mamapigeon 11-29-2012 02:20 PM

Charlie Brown Christmas

White Christmas

National Lampoon's Christmas (even though I've seen it 10+ times I still crack up at everything)

A Christmas Story

The Santa Clause

I haven't seen this in years, but I love the Garfield Christmas special!

Sativarain1 11-29-2012 08:31 PM

Even though its an older film I too love "It's a Wonderful Life'.....

other favorites:

3 days

Dr Seuss How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Family Man

34me 11-29-2012 09:18 PM

Definitely not for kids but my teens (and us) enjoy Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale

pek64 11-30-2012 10:01 AM

My son just remembered Comfort and Joy.

Traci mom23boys 11-30-2012 04:55 PM

Every Christmas eve we watch Family Man & Christmas day is It's A Wonderful Life...for as many years as I can remember.

beckybird 11-30-2012 09:31 PM

Home Alone!!

And of course, the Grinch, which is my mother's favorite movie. It's been a Christmas Eve requirement since I was a small child!

fruitfulmomma 11-30-2012 10:07 PM

Miracle on 34th with Mara Wilson

Grew up watching A Christmas Story every year but my husband hates it.

Home Alone is good.

Oh,  A Christmas Carol with the Muppets

Eta the hubby says Gremlins and Merry Christmas Charlie Brown

pek64 12-01-2012 05:56 AM

A Claymation Christmas

cynthia mosher 12-01-2012 09:11 AM

I totally forgot about It's a Wonderful LIfe! Thanks for adding that. thumb.gif

Anyone have more to add? 

mamapigeon 12-01-2012 11:13 AM

Black Adder's Christmas special. Heehee, I love Rowan Atkinson!

A Christmas Carol

kathymuggle 12-01-2012 11:55 AM

Oh  - tv specials.

Mr.  Beans Christmas…..

DaughterOfKali 12-01-2012 03:45 PM

A Christmas Carol: The Musical

The Santa Clause

Elf

mamaofthree 12-01-2012 06:16 PM

national lampoon's christmas vacation( love it love it)

it's a wonderful life

white christmas

emmet otter's jug band christmas

frosty the snowman

and although i find it irritating the kids love rudolph the red nosed reindeer

a christmas story

charlie brown christmas

Storm Bride 12-02-2012 11:55 AM

I don't exactly have favourites, but I love A Christmas Carol (my favourite is probably the one with George C. Scott, but I've enjoyed every version we've watched).

We watch It's a Wonderful Life every year. I like it okay, but it's dh's favourite.

Since Aaron, I love Elf - I think that movie, more than anything else, got me through the weeks after he died.

And, personally, I adore The Ref...not exactly a Christmas movie, but not exactly not a Christmas movie, either. It's not child friendly. I let my kids watch a lot of stuff that's probably not age appropriate, but only ds1 (who is almost 20) can watch The Ref.

I also really enjoy The Santa Clause, Miracle on 34th Street (I like the original one better, but the ...was it 80s?...version is good, too),

As part of my activity advent calendar, every Friday night in December is Christmas movie night. We'll definitely watch It's a Wonderful Life. We'll almost certainly watch A Christmas Carol. The kids will probably pick the other one - I'm guessing they'll opt for Elf. We may watch a few others over the season, as well.

ancoda 12-03-2012 01:51 PM

My all time favorite is - it came upon a midnight clear. 

also like elf, and both the old and newer versions of Miricle of 34th street.

LuckyMommaToo 12-03-2012 07:59 PM

Not kid-friendly, but Love, Actually is my fave. DH and I are watching it this coming weekend -- it's one of the few movies I actually own!

SweetSilver 12-03-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyMommaToo View Post

Not kid-friendly, but Love, Actually is my fave. DH and I are watching it this coming weekend -- it's one of the few movies I actually own!

I was just thinking about that one.  Probably the best adult Christmas movie I can think of....

....except Die Hard.  Does that count as a Christmas movie?

ETA: Oh, and I also love Family Man.

Storm Bride 12-03-2012 08:42 PM

Die Hard probably doesn't count, technically, as a Christmas movie, but I usually watch it at least once around this time of year.

scary biscuits 12-03-2012 09:08 PM

Die Hard count as a Christmas movie (sort of:)

And for a romcom set at Christmas, While You Were Sleeping has my vote. Such a sweet movie and even though I've seen it countless times, it still makes me tear up.

Seconding Elf,  it's a new classic with my family. Um, and Scrooged is an old family favourite, but not really for the little ones.

But my favourite Christmas movie has got to be White Christmas. Nothing gets me in the holiday mood quicker and if you love musicals like I do, it's a must see.

skycheattraffic 12-04-2012 03:49 AM

A Christmas Story hands down! It's not Christmas without it lol
I second The Ref. I've seen it a million times but I always howl. The chemistry is unbelievable. It's definitely a tuck your kids in then curl up with DH movie for sure smile.gif
Then there's The Nightmare Before Christmas which I can do on Halloween or Christmas... But I'm weird lol.

When I'm in need of a good chick flick, it's Bridget Jones's Diary.
Garfield Christmas, YES! Also the Muppet Christmas Carol. Looks like I have a few DVD's to get.

Storm Bride 12-04-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary biscuits View Post

Die Hard count as a Christmas movie (sort of:)

Yeah - sort of. I tend to think of it as one, but...yeah...

Seconding Elf,  it's a new classic with my family. Um, and Scrooged is an old family favourite, but not really for the little ones.

My kids have seen Scrooged - fortunately, the innuendos went right past them. They were fine with the rest of it, and (like dh) thought it was hilarious when Carol Kane swung the toaster.

But my favourite Christmas movie has got to be White Christmas. Nothing gets me in the holiday mood quicker and if you love musicals like I do, it's a must see.

I've never seen this one. I think I'm going to try to watch it this year. I'm not really into musicals, but I don't mind them, either, and I've heard really good things about White Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

I second The Ref. I've seen it a million times but I always howl. The chemistry is unbelievable. It's definitely a tuck your kids in then curl up with DH movie for sure smile.gif
My dh doesn't like it, but ds1 caught some of it when I bought it a month or so ago. If I watch it again this season, I'll watch it with him. He thought it was hilarious.

Oops - deleted the whole rest of your post, when I only meant to chop part of it. When we do The Nightmare Before Christmas, we usually do it at Halloween. I don't like horror movies (neither does dh, and ds1 can take them or leave them, but will usually leave them, as there are SO many other movies he'd rather watch), so there isn't a lot of movie fodder for us at Halloween. At Christmas, we could watch a different movie pretty much every night of December, i think. (Heck - we could almost watch a different version of "A Christmas Carol" every night of December!)

cynthia mosher 12-04-2012 12:39 PM

I have not seen Elf so I want to watch that one.  thumb.gif  The Ref sounds good. 

Any other movies specific for younger children? 

MrsGregory 12-05-2012 02:22 PM

ROTFLMAO.gif  Die Hard.

I just popped in to add to the list of those in favor of "It's a Wonderful Life", it's cheesy but oh my am I sniffling by the end.

SweetSilver 12-05-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

ROTFLMAO.gif  Die Hard.

If this was the "Fathering" forum, you can bet Die Hard would have been mentioned much sooner and Love, Actually not at all.  

ollyoxenfree 12-06-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

Die Hard probably doesn't count, technically, as a Christmas movie, but I usually watch it at least once around this time of year.

We just had this debate at the dinner table the other night. I say it totally counts. It's all about a family coming together to enjoy the holidays after conflict and hardship. Typical - even stereotypical - holiday stuff.   winky.gif    lol.gif  Not everyone agreed with me, sigh. 

The family favourite is A Charlie Brown Christmas, followed closely by the original animated The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. DD has a friend who insists that the Jim Carrey version is better than the animated version. We told her to get a better class of friends. (Yes, very Christmas-like of us, wasn't it?) 

The kids like Elf and I enjoy it but it isn't my sentimental fave. That's probably It's a Wonderful Life, because that was my father's favourite. I haven't watched it in a few years though, because it's so bloody long. 

DH's favourite is the Alastair Sims version of A Christmas Carol. 

A long time ago, back when we had a VHS recorder, I made a tape of my favourite Christmas episodes from some television series. I haven't watched it in years, but the one that stands out is the first Christmas episode from Northern Exposure. My recollection is that it beautifully and sensitively managed the concept of tolerating, appreciating and celebrating different holiday traditions. 

If I was making the same kind of recording this year, I would definitely add the Christmas episodes from Community. They are well-written, well-acted, hilarious and touching. The stop-motion episode was genius. 

ETA: Just coming back to add the Seinfeld episode about Festivus. Not exactly my favourite but it's a good parody and makes some worthwhile points at this time of year. 

Storm Bride 12-06-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

We just had this debate at the dinner table the other night. I say it totally counts. It's all about a family coming together to enjoy the holidays after conflict and hardship. Typical - even stereotypical - holiday stuff.   winky.gif    lol.gif  Not everyone agreed with me, sigh. 

I can get onboard with that.

The family favourite is A Charlie Brown Christmas, followed closely by the original animated The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. DD has a friend who insists that the Jim Carrey version is better than the animated version. We told her to get a better class of friends. (Yes, very Christmas-like of us, wasn't it?) 

I haven't watched A Charlie Brown Christmas in a long time. I should, because it's an ongoing family joke (sort of) that my mom and I love "Charlie Brown trees". I don't like my trees super bushy. I like them a bit sparse, so I can put ornaments inside and have them still be visible.

The kids like Elf and I enjoy it but it isn't my sentimental fave. That's probably It's a Wonderful Life, because that was my father's favourite. I haven't watched it in a few years though, because it's so bloody long. 

I enjoy It's a Wonderful Life, but do find it a bit long. DH watches it every year, so I just kind of go with it.

DH's favourite is the Alastair Sims version of A Christmas Carol. 

I like that one, except for the end scene. When he wakes up after all the visits, I find the capering and what have you to be a little too over the top for my liking in that version. I do like it - just prefer the one with George C. Scott.

A long time ago, back when we had a VHS recorder, I made a tape of my favourite Christmas episodes from some television series. I haven't watched it in years, but the one that stands out is the first Christmas episode from Northern Exposure. My recollection is that it beautifully and sensitively managed the concept of tolerating, appreciating and celebrating different holiday traditions. 

If I was making the same kind of recording this year, I would definitely add the Christmas episodes from Community. They are well-written, well-acted, hilarious and touching. The stop-motion episode was genius. 

ETA: Just coming back to add the Seinfeld episode about Festivus. Not exactly my favourite but it's a good parody and makes some worthwhile points at this time of year. 

I don't really watch tv anymore, but I do remember enjoying Northern Exposure, when I remembered to watch it. I can't remember if I saw the first Christms one or not. I think I saw a Christmas one, but I'm not sure which one. I should get that show for dh...it had a moose in the opening credits, and he likes moose.