Machine Gun Preacher -- movie / true story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-03-2012, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Has anyone seen this movie?  I just watched it, and am really intrigued.  I want to share a few thoughts.  I think Sam is an adrenaline junkie.  I know because I am one too, so I recognized that right away.  I love how he built an orphanage directly in the middle of a war zone, like "If you don't like it, come and get me!"  And of course the LRA did.  I can relate to Sam being the kind of person to stake out a claim, then dig in his heels for whatever it takes to keep it. 

The movie wanted to portray a 'changed man' story, but I don't think Sam changed at all when he became a Christian.  He was the exact same person, but in going to Africa, he found a much better use for his disposition.  The orphan kids in Africa are more worth his belligerence than his previous self-centered life of drugs, guns, and biker gangs in the US.  However, he is still doing the same thing.  Where he had been waging his own personal war within gang life in the US, he is now personally waging a war on warlords in Africa.  He became almost the same character as Joseph Kony, his enemy warlord, and they even showed that in the movie. 

I don't think Sam should be using the Christian platform for what he is doing.  I don't think his beliefs and actions are in alignment with most of the church.  And the movie made a good choice to shy away from overly religious themes.  But I also cannot condemn his actions.  I can really respect and honor a person who will actually go out and change things in the world.  There is so much apathy, and I'll say it, outright cowardice in the United States -- in both religious communities and secular. 

I whole-heartedly believe that being a warrior is a gift.  And that some are called by God to be warriors.  But it is a dangerous and powerful gift to be able to hurt people, and warriors need to be careful to focus their gift where it is needed. 

I am very much in support of the egotistical, brutish warrior that is Sam Childers. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 05-14-2013, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)

I have not seen it . I will have to check it out.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page