December 2012 Book Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-10-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

End of the year!  I better get reading, I have about 25 more books to go before I hit my goal!

So, just by way of clarification (for comers both new and old), guidelines for the Book Challenge Thread are as follows:

1) Post the books you read ... or not
2) Post a recommendation ... or not
3) Number your book ... or not
4) Make a goal for how many books you want to read in 2012 ... or not
5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY)

#2 of 13 Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 AM

Subscribing smile.gif

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#3 of 13 Old 12-11-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Did you have a goal this year NCD?  I bet you blew my number out of the water!  It's taking me forever to finish Gone With The Wind, story is good, but a lot of the racial stuff is offensive and bothers me.  It makes it hard to sympathize with the characters.  I need to find out what happens though, even though I'm pretty sure I already know. :)  I'm about 3/4 of the way there.  (650+ pages done so far)

More than halfway through The Hobbit, still loving it, and the kids are still loving it.  We're going to need to pick up the pace if we wanna finish it before the movie.  Is the movie only part of the book?  I thought I read somewhere that there would be more than one installation of The Hobbit on film?

I have Game of Thrones, The 4 Hour Workweek, and an historical novel about Highclere Castle all waiting in the wings....

#4 of 13 Old 12-12-2012, 01:01 PM

I didn't have a goal ... it took me forever to get back into the swing of reading, depression is a helluva thing, and so the fact that I started reading regularly again this year was goal enough. You know?

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#5 of 13 Old 12-13-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Totally!  Glad you are doing better!  And if that list is you not reading as much, wow! orngbiggrin.gif

#6 of 13 Old 12-13-2012, 04:55 PM

Well, to be fair, fremontmama, half of these are audiobooks and I have five to six hours Monday through Thursday at work absolutely by myself and I fill the silence with audiobooks, so I can burn through them pretty fast. ;)

Finished Book 2 in the Song of Ice and Fire series, I'm totally hooked on these books. Martin's world of Westeros is so amazingly complete ... just don't get too attached to any one character, they have a bad habit of being killed off unexpectedly!

FEBRUARY

1. Batman: No Man's Land by Greg Rucka

MARCH

2. Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll by Simon Messingham, read by David Tennant

3. The Shimmer by David Morrell

4. Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist, translated by Ebba Segerberg

5. Doctor Who: The Pirate Loop by Simon Guerrier, read by Freema Ageyman

6. Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman

7. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

8. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

9. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

APRIL

10. Doctor Who: Touched by an Angel by Jonathan Morris

11. Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island by Mike Tucker, read by Anthony Stewart Head

12. The Alienist by Caleb Carr

13. One Second After by William R. Forstchen

MAY

14. Shadows Over Baker Street: New Tales of Terror edited by Michael Reeves and John Pelan

15. The Haunted Vagina by Carlton Mellick III

JUNE

16: The Zombie Autopsies: Secret Notebooks from the Apocalypse by Steven C. Schlozman, M.D.

17. World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks

18. Star Wars: Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber

JULY

19. Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King, read by Stephen King and William Hurt

20. The Dark Tower, Book I: The Gunslinger by Stephen King, read by George Guidall

21. The Dark Tower, Book II: The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King, read by Frank Muller

22. The Dark Tower, Book III: The Waste Lands by Stephen King, read by Frank Muller

AUGUST

23. The Dark Tower, Book IV: Wizard and Glass by Stephen King, read by Frank Muller

24. The Dark Tower, Book IV½: The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King, read by Stephen King

25. The Totem by David Morell

SEPTEMBER

26. Wonder Woman by S.D. Perry and Britta Dennison

27. A Face in the Crowd by Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan

28. Eaters of the Dead: The Manuscript of ibn Fadlan, Relating His Experiences with the Northmen in a.D. 922 by Michael Crichton

29. The Dark Tower, Book V: Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King, read by George Guidall

30. Remove Child Before Folding: The 101 Stupidest, Silliest and Wackiest Warning Labels Ever by Bob Dorigo Jones

OCTOBER

31. The Dark Tower, Book VI: Song of Susannah by Stephen King, read by George Guidall

32. The Dark Tower, Book VII: The Dark Tower by Stephen King, read by George Guidall

33. Let's Pretend This Never Happened (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson, read by Jenny Lawson

34. All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren, read by Michael Emerson

35. In the Tall Grass by Stephen King and Joe Hill, read by Stephen Lang

36. Creepiosity: A Hilarious Guide to the Unintentionally Creepy by David Beckel

37. Doctor Who: The Hounds of Artemis by James Goss, read by Matt Smith and Clare Corbett

38. Doctor Who: The Ring of Steel by Stephen Cole, read by Arthur Darvill

39. Doctor Who: The Runaway Train by Oli Smith, read by Matt Smith

40. Doctor Who: The Eye of the Jungle by Darren Jones, read by David Troughton

41. Doctor Who: Forever Autumn by Mark Morris, read by Will Thorp

42. Doctor Who: The Gemini Contagion by Jason Arnopp, read by Meera Syal

43. Doctor Who: The Jade Pyramid by Martin Day, read by Matt Smith

NOVEMBER

44. The Terror by Dan Simmons, read by John Lee

45. Doctor Who: The Angel's Kiss, A Melody Malone Mystery by Justin Richards

46. The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris, read by Frank Muller

47. Monsters and Mormons: Thirty Tales of Adventure and Terror edited by WM Morris and Theric Jepson

48. Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin

49. Rose Madder by Stephen King, read by Blair Brown and Stephen King

50. K is for Knifeball: An Alphabet of TERRIBLE Advice by Avery Monson and Jorry John

DECEMBER

51. The Peshawar Lancers by S.M. Stirling

52. A Song of Ice and Fire, Book I: Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, read by Roy Dotrice

53. A Song of Ice and Fire, Book II: A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin, read by Roy Dotrice

#7 of 13 Old 12-14-2012, 06:52 AM

Hello!  I would love to join the fun.  I haven't kept track of the books I've read this year, but I hope to be better organized in the coming year.  :-) 

Right now, I'm reading The Fire, by Katherine Neville. 

hh2.gif

#8 of 13 Old 12-14-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome Milagras! love.gif

NCD, audiobooks while at work, so that's your trick!  winky.gif   What fun.  I like audiobooks, but the only time I can listen to them is when I'm with the kids, so, I get to listen to kid's audiobooks.  Which is fine, there are lots of good ones!  Although, I've been working weekends cleanings houses occassionally, and I've been listening to podcasts then.  That's fun.  Alec Baldwin, This American Life, Moth Radio, Wiretap, etc.   Good stuff!

#9 of 13 Old 12-14-2012, 10:48 AM

Since I just started a 1,400 page book, this is probably what my year-end tally will look like.

January

1. The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

2. The Help - Kathryn Stockett

3. The Blue Sweater: Bridging the Gap Between Rich and Poor in an Interconnected World - Jacqueline Novogratz

4. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

February

5. Sugar Street - Naguib Mahfouz

6. My Life in France - Julia Child

7. The Invention of Hugo Cabret - Brian Selznick

8. One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd

March

9. The China Study - Colin Campbell

10. The Paris Wife - Paula McLain

11. Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins

12. Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins

April

13. A Year in the Merde - Stephen Clarke

14. Sarah's Key - Tatiana de Rosnay

May

15. Germinal - Emile Zola

June

16. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs

17. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer

18. The 19th Wife - David Ebershoff

July

19. Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes - Andrea Reusing

20. The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway

21. Train Dreams - Denis Johnson

22. Coming Home to Eat - Gary Paul Nabhan

August

23. Chronicle of a Death Foretold - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

24. Abarat - Clive Barker (re-read)

25. Days of Magic, Nights of War - Clive Barker 

26. Absolute Midnight - Clive Barker

27. Outlander - Diana Gabaldon

September

28. Dragonfly in Amber - Diana Gabaldon

October

29. Voyager - Diana Gabaldon

30. Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese

November

31. The Origin of Humankind - Richard Leakey

32. Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen - Christopher McDougall

33. Drums of Autumn - Diana Gabaldon

December

35. The Outlandish Companion - Diana Gabaldon

Bolded titles are the ones I have read since my last update here. 

And I just started The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon. These books are long! With each one in the 1,000 page realm, I haven't been able to read much else this fall!

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

#10 of 13 Old 12-22-2012, 06:25 AM

The Dog Stars, Peter Heller

Quote:
Hig survived the flu that killed everyone he knows. His wife is gone, his friends are dead, he lives in the hangar of a small abandoned airport with his dog, his only neighbor a gun-toting misanthrope. In his 1956 Cessna, Hig flies the perimeter of the airfield or sneaks off to the mountains to fish and to pretend that things are the way they used to be. But when a random transmission somehow beams through his radio, the voice ignites a hope deep inside him that a better life—something like his old life—exists beyond the airport. Risking everything, he flies past his point of no return—not enough fuel to get him home—following the trail of the static-broken voice on the radio. But what he encounters and what he must face—in the people he meets, and in himself—is both better and worse than anything he could have hoped for.

I'm having a hard time rating the book.  At the beginning, the writing style and the explicit descriptions of the violence in their survival really had me a bit turned off.  But as I got more deeply into the book, I came to really see Hig's humanity; how even in the most trying of circumstances he still had love and compassion.  And then the building of the new relationship was amazing.

#11 of 13 Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 AM

Land of Decoration, McCleen

Quote:

In Grace McCleen's harrowing, powerful debut, she introduces an unforgettable heroine in ten-year-old Judith McPherson, a young believer who sees the world with the clear Eyes of Faith. Persecuted at school for her beliefs and struggling with her distant, devout father at home, young Judith finds solace and connection in a model in miniature of the Promised Land that she has constructed in her room from collected discarded scraps—the Land of Decoration. Where others might see rubbish, Judith sees possibility and divinity in even the strangest traces left behind. As ominous forces disrupt the peace in her and Father's modest lives—a strike threatens her father's factory job, and the taunting at school slips into dangerous territory—Judith makes a miracle in the Land of Decoration that solidifies her blossoming convictions. She is God's chosen instrument. But the heady consequences of her newfound power are difficult to control and may threaten the very foundations of her world.

I really enjoyed this, and it's a concept I think about a lot -- if miracles are still really happening, if people are still talking to god, how can we distinguish that from insanity?  Recommended.

White Witch, Black Curse

Quote:

Rachel's reputation is in tatters—to save humanity, she used powers that are considered evil—and she's still devastated by the mysterious death of her boyfriend six months earlier. Her attempts to solve his murder bleed into a case involving an emotion-sucking banshee, and soon Rachel has to bring in her PI partners—Ivy, a bisexual vampire, and Jenks, a pixie in existential crisis—along with empathic psychiatrist Ford and the banshee victim's father, Federal Inderland Bureau captain Edden. Harrison's unique vampire mythology unduly complicates world-building, and newcomers will be desperate for a glossary, but the nearly nonstop action nicely plays off the poignancy of Rachel's difficult life.

I've been enjoying this series overall.   This one started slow but really picked up.  There were some characters that I had to look up as I wasn't sure where I had encountered them before, and it turned out they were in some of the short stories rather than in the series. 

#12 of 13 Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post

Well, to be fair, fremontmama, half of these are audiobooks and I have five to six hours Monday through Thursday at work absolutely by myself and I fill the silence with audiobooks, so I can burn through them pretty fast. ;)

Finished Book 2 in the Song of Ice and Fire series, I'm totally hooked on these books. Martin's world of Westeros is so amazingly complete ... just don't get too attached to any one character, they have a bad habit of being killed off unexpectedly!

Can't wait to get back into those books!  I have 2 library books I need to finish first, and then back to my books borrowed from friends.  I have the Book 1 of Song of Fire and Ice sitting on the nightstand right now.  I'm slogging through Suttree by Cormac McCarthy for my book club, and Lady Almina and The Real Downton Abbey to finish...

I did not hit my goal of 75 books for the year.  But I'm okay with that.  I had a couple books that took a long time, like Gone With the Wind.

#50 You Can Buy Happiness (And It's Cheap) by Tammy Strobel

Quick read, sweet premise.  Basically a simplify your life and get happier book.  The author lives in a tiny home on wheels with her partner.  The tiny house is pretty awesome.

#51 Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

I enjoyed this story, but found the characters so frustrating sometimes.  I was glad I had read it when I went to see Lincoln with my hubby though.  I felt like it kind of gave me some context for the southern viewpoint. 

#52 Candy Girl by Diablo Cody

Super quick read.  Memoir about a young woman who decides on a whim to try out stripping.  Funny.

#13 of 13 Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page