Outlander Series - started Fiery Cross - Please tell me this book gets better! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-13-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I loved the first 4 books in the Outlander Series. I picked up Fiery Cross about a week ago, and I just can't get into it. I don't understand the point of this book at all. The first 4 were long, but never really had any problems with pace. I feel like Fiery Cross is filled with unnecessary conversations about things I don't really care about.

I am only on page 200ish. They are still at the Gathering. Please tell me it gets better (but no spoilers, please!!). That a plot does materialize? Or that the next two books are much more interesting.

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

#2 of 7 Old 01-14-2013, 03:01 AM

Honestly, I've never gotten over the Outlander series innocent.gif it's the story I compare all other books to. I loooove that series! I didn't think any of them were boring, but I can say it does pick up shortly lol they all do!

Good reading! I've been waiting since 2010 for the next in the series My Own Hearts Blood or something like that, Diana keeps telling us soon, but now I think she's pushed it back from Fall 2012 to Fall 2013....le sigh.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
#3 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I also struggled with The Fiery Cross and after several attempts to finish it, just gave up.   Honestly, that is also when I stopped reading the series.  I have contemplated going through the series again, because I loved the first four books and still think about the characters.  But, instead of reading the book, I'm thinking I will listen to them via audiobook.    

#4 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM

The unabridged audiobooks with Davina Porter are terrific. She is so talented at reading. I really enjoyed them. I hope you do too.
#5 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgallagher66 View Post

The unabridged audiobooks with Davina Porter are terrific. She is so talented at reading. I really enjoyed them. I hope you do too.

Yep, those are the ones I have on my Audible waitlist.  Happy to hear the narrator is "terrific."   

#6 of 7 Old 01-26-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

I did finally finish Fiery Cross. I am taking a break from the series, but do plan on coming back to it in a few months.

The last 1/2 of the book was better than the first, but imo it was the weakest book in the series.

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

#7 of 7 Old 05-22-2013, 03:24 PM

The first time I read FC, it was a long, slow slog.  I hated it.  I hated everyone in it by the time it was over.  When the book after that was about to come out, I decided to reread the whole series.  I enjoyed them all so much more the second time, even FC.  I would say I actually even enjoyed FC the second time around.  That first time, though.  Wow.  Did not like.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page