Magazines for girls? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-08-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

I've been looking for some magazines for my daughter (6, almost 7) to help her along with reading that would also be interesting to her.  And also show girls in a good, strong light. I'm not interested in having her read about fashion or makeup or boys at this point, but I want her to see other good things girls are doing.  I am thinking about Highlights, and I loved Ranger Rick when I was a kid, but I have no idea how they have changed in the 30 years since I read them.

Anyone have any ideas?  

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#2 of 22 Old 03-08-2013, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

In a couple of years, check out New Moon Girls magainze. It's really great, but it's for ages 8 and up.

My daughter loved Ranger Rick. She got a gift subscription to Highlights at one point and I'm not sure how into that one she was. They had some games she liked I think.

#3 of 22 Old 03-08-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Never heard of it. Thanks for the suggestion!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#4 of 22 Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with New Moon magazine when she is older. For now, maybe Spider or one of the other magazines published by Cricket?

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#5 of 22 Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

The Cricket magazines are fantastic. They are not specifically girl-oriented, but just for kids that enjoy learning about all sorts of things. I need to renew our subscription. We have had them since Baby Bug and are up to Cricket and Spider now. Ladybug might be her speed if she's 6 almost 7. If she's a strong reader she might like Spider. 

We got New Moon for awhile, but I think they talked about dropping the print publication, but I saw one in the store the other day, so maybe they changed their mind on that.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#6 of 22 Old 03-18-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Cricket looks great - as does Spider.  

I will definitely be getting that.

What does everyone think about the various National Geographic for kids mags?

#7 of 22 Old 03-18-2013, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post

The Cricket magazines are fantastic.

I agree. My favorites of this magazine group are Appleseeds and Faces, but they are all great.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#8 of 22 Old 03-18-2013, 12:21 PM

Hate the National Geographic mags. Full of ads. The cricket mags are ad free. If you're looking for a nature magazine I'd suggest Ranger Rick.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

#9 of 22 Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post

Hate the National Geographic mags. Full of ads. The cricket mags are ad free. If you're looking for a nature magazine I'd suggest Ranger Rick.

I second this.  Ranger Rick is a decent nature magazine and doesn't have ads.  Ranger Rick Jr. is good too (for a younger group) DS is 5.5years old and likes Ranger Rick Jr, I think he's probably ready to move on to Ranger Rick because I read it aloud anyway.

I like the Cricket publications. We used to get Ladybug, we get Click, no we get Appleseeds (I don't care for Appleseeds and won't be renewing it).  I'm interested in Ask.

#10 of 22 Old 03-19-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Even the kids national geo?? That's too bad.

#11 of 22 Old 03-19-2013, 05:13 PM

The kids's National Geo is what we're talking about. Horrible. The grown up NG is great. Go Ranger Rick. It's excellent!

#12 of 22 Old 03-20-2013, 06:46 AM

Stone Soup has been one of my daughter's favorites.  It's a magazine written and illustrated entirely by children aged 8-13 and contains no advertising.  

#13 of 22 Old 03-20-2013, 08:12 AM

We get Zootles which is the easier version of Zoobooks. They also have one for babies. It features a different wild animal each issue and is ad-free. 

#14 of 22 Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Saf

I'll also suggest Cricket as a great source. My DD is 7, and she gets 'Ask'. It's the science magazine. I figure she has enough books for literature. We're in Canada, so she also gets Chickadee magazine from Owl Kids.

#15 of 22 Old 03-20-2013, 09:44 AM

Another vote for New Moon if you're looking for something specifically for girls when your daughter is a little older. I can't recommend it highly enough. As far as I know, the electronic-only version was just an experiment--they are still doing print issues.

#16 of 22 Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 AM

It depends what her interests are. When I was a kid, children's magazines never interested me. I found the contents were so overly geared towards children that I could read for hours and still not have learned a single new thing lol ...My favorites were Cosmo (although that sounds like the exact opposite of what you're looking for), sailing/boating magazines, and anything to do with technology.

Maybe take her to a bookstore with a huge selection and see what she seems interested in?

#17 of 22 Old 03-20-2013, 11:21 AM

Has anyone tried the American Girl Magazine?  It says 8 and up, I think.  I have a 9 year old and have considered this one (or asking for a birthday gift) but i've never actually read it.  I'm going to check out NewMoon soon.  thanks for the suggestion =)

I also agree that the Nat Geo kids is terrible.  Aside from all the ads, I thought the actual content was crap too!

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

#18 of 22 Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 PM

American Girl is okay. My girls usually get one issue in their stockings at Christmas. It's a little fashiony and there are activities to do with your American girl doll and some upselling but it's not terribly over the top. There are recipes (cupcakes, etc), craft activities (how to make a sparkle hair bow), suggestions for things to do on a sleepover, etc. there might be an occasional article on friendship or bullying but overall it's pretty much fluff compared to the American girl self help books.

#19 of 22 Old 03-20-2013, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There is some fun stuff in the American Girl magazine, and my daughter did like it, but of course it's highly commercialized.

#20 of 22 Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 PM

Seconding Ask. My six year old also gets Highlights.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#21 of 22 Old 03-24-2013, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

If anyone is interested in French magazines, I recommend Minimag (http://www.librairieducentre.com/Products.aspx?collection=MINIMAG+-+MAGAZINE+DES+4-7+ANS) for both boys and girls. It has a bit of science, a bit of fun facts and pictures about animals, crafts that you can make with them, short stories, comic strips. My ds loves it.

Oh, and no adds.

Ds 9 and dd 5
#22 of 22 Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 AM

Hi - I'm the founder of New Moon Girls and glad to see this discussion! To answer a couple questions: we do still offer our print magazine, as well as a digital magazine and a safe social network where girls share support, writing, art & photos, advice, questions and opinions - all moderated by specially trained adults.   Check out our website at newmoon.com - you can download and read a recent copy of the magazine to see what you think.  You can also buy single copies in our online store at facebook.com/newmoongirls . Let me know if you have more questions. 

Tags
Media

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page